A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super simple sort of punkish pleated skirt (Edit: Now with tut!)  (Read 4656 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cherry Bomb!
Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb!

I didn't do it!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 12, 2009 02:10:56 PM »

So in July my friend Kim and I are going to Mayhemfest (yay!).  Kim wanted me to make her a skirt to wear, because neither of us are into wearing shorts in public, and it's going to be HOT as hades. She showed me a red and yellow plaid skirt she'd bought at Hot Topic years ago that was just screamed "hey look at me I'm trying sooooo hard to be punk!" Which is fine, if you're into that. But my Kimmikat is really not. So I made this fun little skirt from some blue, green, and black plaid, and stole the safety pins from the other skirt. Viola! Less attention seeking and more "yay I'm cute!" Smiley

I was totally surprised and pleased at how well the plaid matches up on the center front panel, I wasn't trying AT ALL.

It doesn't really flare out to the right all wierd like it appears to in this picture, that was just the angle.

I was thinking of putting 3/4" black ribbon trim over the seam where the bottom connects to the top instead of having the safety pins, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

I hope you enjoyed! It was incredibly simple and took less than an hour, so if anyone wants instructions I'd be happy to oblige.

This is my first real tutorial, so please be kind!

1) This is pretty much the pattern I used, the dimensions are all approximate and keep in mind that my friend is TINY (5', about 100 lbs!), so you may have to increase the measurements, especially the heights of the pieces if you are not pocket sized. ^_^ You will also need to use material with a slight stretch, otherwise you will need to insert a zipper if the material does not stretch, or use an elastic waistband if it is very stretchy.
a) Oh, and the front skirt placket should say 10", not 8". Sorry, typo.
b) Also, when I say waist, I should have said 'the place where you like the waistband of your pants/skrit/shorts etc. to hit'... for me that is about an inch below my natural waist, for my friend Kim it is about 4". You will definitely need to elongate the top piece of the skirt if you wear your skirts/pants/shorts etc. high, like I do. Sorry!

2) Take the skirt panel (long rectangle) and fold and pin like this:

3) Then take the front placket (short rectangle) and fold and pin it like shown (the grey piece) to the skirt panel.

4) Stitch the pleats down.

5) Sew the 2 top pieces together on each side to form a tube. (if you are using a zipper, leave one side open so you can insert the zipper later)

6) Flip the top part inside out and put it right-sides-together with the bottom part. Stitch all the way around.

7) Turn skirt right side out, topstitch the seam you just finished, hem the bottom, and fold the top over about 1" - 1.5" to create a waistband. Leave as is, or insert elastic if you are using an elastic waistband, or insert the zipper at this time. And viola! You now have your own box pleat skirt. ^_^

I hope this tutorial made sense, if you have any questions or suggestions on how I could make a better tutorial in the future, feel free to pm me or leave a comment. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009 01:22:56 PM by khatana.rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Which voice in your head should you keep alive?
raggedyangy

sewing by the seat of my pants

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009 02:37:03 PM »

it is really cute.
im a sucker for safety pins, but if understated punk is your thing,
the ribbon would look good too.

.. and i can always use help, so if'n you got a how to laying around
i'd be much obliged!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009 03:46:07 PM »

Very cute and I love the safety pins.  I like to put them on everything Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Just_webby
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009 03:58:31 PM »

This is so cute! I love the safety pins, but I think some ribbon would look cute too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessii
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009 06:56:49 PM »

I would totally wear that. Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009 03:19:44 PM »

wow... flashback. i used to have a skirt just like that.

very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
Snogger04
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009 08:51:53 PM »

The skirt is so neat!  I'd be very interested in instructions if you have the time Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hollow Shel
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009 11:35:17 AM »

Ooh, that's nice! not sure if I'd wear it (short skirts + my legs = b-movie horror most of the time) but I'm finding myself curious as to how you put it together. It's lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive...

Bringing sexy back for a refund. It really just wasn't "me".
catwoman531
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009 09:36:26 PM »

What a great tutorial! thanks for that. this pattern looks to be very easy to modify for anyone's tastes. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like you mean it, Wear what you want to, Never stop learning and live like you meant to!
jessiloug
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009 11:14:31 PM »

Question can you hem the bottom part prior to sewing it to the waste?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cut Curly Hair for a Round Face
Perfect Haircut For My Face: Trish Fermin - Oval Face Straight Hair
Hair Extensions For Fine Hair
Volumizing Limp Locks
Eugene Soulieman on The 80s Hair Trend
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...