A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,317
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Updated kitchen - inspired by Italian pottery (pic hvy!)  (Read 8220 times)
Tags for this thread: home_and_garden , kitchen , renovation  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StacyCK
« on: May 12, 2009 07:23:12 AM »

Well, this was supposed to be a low cost makeover.  When it started I was just going to paint the cabinets, take down the wallpaper and paint the walls, and add crown moulding to the soffit.  It ballooned (as most things tend to do!) and we ended up replacing the countertops with quartz and doing a tile backsplash.  We bought this house 6 years ago and we have gradually added color to a pretty drab decorating style.  We plan to live here for awhile and are decorating it to suit our style.  This is by far the most we've spent on any room, since most things have just been paint.  I have several rooms that took me three full days to paint, due to the techniques I've used.

I bought some Italian pottery that had these great designs in brick red, blue and gold on a cream background.  That is what I was going for here.

After:

Before:

I did the artwork on the wall and the tile design.  I have been drawing for many years and now I'm finally figuring out things to do with them.  I also stenciled a few of the designs on some drawers.

I put this up on HGTV in their Rate My Space section and it was poorly rated.  They said I should repaint the cabinets white.  Ummmm...no!  It took me forever to paint them this way, which was rather painstaking and I would have quit if I didn't like it!  I'm a bit bummed about that, but I understand that most people seem to have an aversion to COLOR.  They think tan is actually putting color on a wall, and well, that is just not my style.

Thanks for looking! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009 07:36:13 AM »

WOW.  That looks like it came out of a magazine- so posh and cozy and elegant.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkanddinky
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Proust

Sociologist with scissors

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009 07:41:42 AM »

Great job! I think it was a good call to replace the countertops too because they look so classy! They probably won't get stained like white does (I have white so I know how that is Smiley)
The backsplash tiles and the tiles under the window are lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StacyCK
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009 07:52:34 AM »

Thanks so much!  It was a lot of work and we are really happy with how it turned out. Smiley

Yes, those white countertops were AWFUL.  If you let anything sit on them you had rings.  I am so glad they are gone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009 08:30:50 AM »

whoever rated this kitchen poorly must be a crazy i-hate-colour-and-awesomeness kind of person. I love the warm inviting feeling and the colours are fantastic! It makes me think mediterranean for sure. I am now super jealous that we rent and I cannot do this kind of thing yet. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009 08:47:10 AM »

Really neat looking kitchen. I really like the tile and your artwork. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
mslabelle
Corgis are the sweetest!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009 09:41:09 AM »

In my opinion, the Rate My Space people are clearly idiots.  It looks wonderful.  I'm seriously jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I reject your reality and substitute my own.  --Adam Savage
Sofiushka
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009 10:34:14 AM »

Oh, it looks amazing! So cosy and chic! I love the tiling and the cabinets, and I adore those chairs. Had I a kitchen like that, I'd take a sleeping bag and live there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radmom
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009 10:47:53 AM »

I love what you've done. I think home decor opinions should be left to those who live with it Grin

I couldn't imagine all the time that went into those tiles!!!  Shocked Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeeSewBug
Just-Fee

Got buttons?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009 12:28:50 PM »

I really love the tiles and the design on the drawers. I think your kitchen could even handle the design on the red cubbords, would have a wow factor.
I dislike fourms for perfect homes, we all have our own tastes, I love colour and dream of a tutti fruity kitchen, i can hear all the white box, perfect homes people groaning now, hahaha!!
Fab job tho!
X
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pretty Savvy: Tie Dye
How to Make a Striped Friendship Bracelet
Paige Davis Decorates Napkins With Stenciled Monograms
Pretty Savvy: Stamped/Painted Collar
DIY Fourth of July Decorations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...