A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,545
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Rolled Paper Beads- The Right Tool for the Right Job! (PIC HEAVY)  (Read 17659 times)
Tags for this thread: paper_beads , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McJulie-O
« on: May 11, 2009 08:32:10 PM »

I've loved the looks of the paper beads I've seen, but after laboring oer a pitiful number of them, I asked DH for what he could do.

The beads, after trying the new tools:

A little closer:

These two tools work GREAT for rolling those paper triangles into beads, and both are from scavenged supplies. One is from cutting  a 1" slit into a very small diameter brass tube (probably leftover from some model airplane or something) and then seating the tiny pipe straight into a wooden dowel with gorilla glue.... the other is basically the plastic straw from the inside of a Windex spray bottle that has had a slit cut into it, a much more primitive, but still effective as all get out, bead roller (I ran a red marker along the slit so that you could see it better- the straw from the inside of a spray bottle is very narrow and very strong):

You just position the paper triangle's base into the slot

Roll it up until the last 2 inches or so, and apply a line of glue

And roll it up the rest of the way... hold it shut for a second or two and then slide the bead off the "spindle" into a bowl or tray to dry completely...

I've been experimenting with sealing by dipping strands of them into a can of varnish and hanging them on the fence to dry:

Having the right tools increased my production about eight fold! I can hardly believe that I made all of these in just a few days, as opposed to the dozen or so I made in about 2 hours (OK, I was a beginner, but STILL!)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 08:47:12 PM by McJulie-O » THIS ROCKS   Logged
beefishie
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009 11:43:08 AM »

Those beads are so pretty. I am definitely going to try this. =)
I was wondering how you made the brass tool. would it be possible for you to elaborate?
Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps! I knit and make jewelry mostly, but do a few other crafts as well. PM me. =)
McJulie-O
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009 01:16:45 PM »

My husband actually did both of them by using a cutting disk on a Dremel tool, while holding the tube in his gloved hand...

And he says that if you were going to make a large quantity, you would probably want to find a way to stabilize the tube for reproducible results, and not just hold it in your hand.

(don't forget to wear eye protection!).

I've actually tried to do a few by slitting (with an Exacto knife) those skinny straws for stirring coffee, but they apparently aren't strong enough, and I'm sure that I can cannibalize another Windex or 409 bottle if I have to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doaflip
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009 10:52:40 AM »

Wow, what a smart idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tumblr      Etsy     Twitter
eveH

I'll try it once

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009 05:51:27 AM »

That is great. I saw these for sale that looked something like this for ten dollars on Etsy.  I started to buy one but now I won't have to.  Grin Thanks a lot.
 I do these all the time and usually use a nail to roll them on. They don't stick to it for some reason.  Then I put them on toothpicks and dry them on a styrofoam tray. I am defin going to try hanging them to dry. You just dip them in and hang them on the fence? Don't some of them stick together or stick to the fence? I would love for it to be this easy. I hate all the glazing. I usually glaze three times with Mod Podge. This is so much easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't have to get it right the first time, just the last time.
McJulie-O
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009 06:20:39 PM »

The first batch i did, I had only about a half of a very small can of oil based varnish, and of course I got it all over my hands, but I like the results a LOT. For this next batch I bought some water based polyurethane for easier clean up, but I plan on dipping each strand and hanging them on the fence outdoors to dry...the instructions (for projects very different from this, I'd bet) say to put four coats on, sanding between coats (which would be ridiculous to have to do, so I'm going to try the dipping first, maybe putting a second coat without sanding at all...there ARE limits to my instruction following  Roll Eyes)

My beads were strung on fishing line, and the varnish layer sometimes stuck the bead to the line, but it is easily dislodged... and even if it weren't, it would be easy to thread it on other beading thread/ wire since fishing line is so thin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittyspurseshop
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009 03:25:44 PM »

Those really are cool.  I am going to have to try it.  You did such a great job.  Are you going to sell them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A horse is a horse, of course, of course...........

http://SimplyEarrings.etsy.com
http://thekittyslitterbox.etsy.com
McJulie-O
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009 05:38:43 PM »

Those really are cool.  I am going to have to try it.  You did such a great job.  Are you going to sell them?
Interesting that you should ask that! A friend just sent me a link to a website that sells them (for $13) http://atwestend.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=44, but I haven't actually explored any options other than just making them (and impressing my friends  Roll Eyes ) Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009 06:56:15 PM »

This actually looks a lot like the paper quilling tool I bought several years ago. So, if you do paper quilling, you likely already have something that will work for this, and if you make this, it has definite potential for paper quilling, should you want to try to learn it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009 07:53:34 PM »

This actually looks a lot like the paper quilling tool I bought several years ago. So, if you do paper quilling, you likely already have something that will work for this, and if you make this, it has definite potential for paper quilling, should you want to try to learn it.  Smiley
I actually found a quilling tool when I was looking for some tool to do this but the only ones I found had slots only about 1/4 inch long, not wide enough for my beads (MY slots are about 1.5 inches wide)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Barry Strauss Talks About The Spartacus War
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 3
Grug In The Wild Book Trailer
Douglas Carlton Abrams Talks About Eye of the Whale
Philippa Gregory on Writing About Witchcraft
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...