A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monteagle Bag  (Read 2507 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 11, 2009 06:03:32 PM »

This is my first completed project post on Crafster, yeah!  I've been thinking of making some cute market string bags for a while, but it seems like most of the patterns I've found are crocheted, which I don't know how to do.  Then I came across the Monteagle Bag from Mason-Dixon knitting (pattern can be downloaded for free from their blog here: http://www.masondixonknitting.com/archives/2008_09.html#002491).  I love it, it holds way more than you would imagine, and I think it will only get better the more it's used as the stitches stretch out.  I used Sugar & Cream cheap cotton washcloth yarn, but it seems like anything will work as long as it's pretty sturdy.  I like more natural colors (hence the brown), but my mom did hers in a crazy pink, yellow, orange variegated yarn and it's really pretty too.  I've got a couple funky spots, because there are some crazy stitches in it, but I've just started my second attempt, so hopefully it will come out even better! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnkisses

keep calm and carry on

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009 08:15:38 PM »

cute Smiley congrats on your first project post, i've yet to post anything..plus my camera is pooched. I'd love to make this however, I only know how to crochet (barely lol) and not knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps: Fill a Box Canadian Style Round 3:finishing up another swap then all my attention is directed to this!
           I Love Fall: Almost finished!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/autumnkisses
Etsy: http://www.sudsisters.etsy.com
Blog: http://curiouslifeofautumn.blogspot.com/
shaenaleland

My Pups Sherman!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009 08:23:54 PM »

Wow.... I don't know how you made this, but it's awesome!  I just read through the tutorial.....  Huh  Too complicated for me!  I have to do something while someone talks me through it to learn something like that!

Good Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009 05:04:02 AM »

Wow.... I don't know how you made this, but it's awesome!  I just read through the tutorial.....  Huh  Too complicated for me!  I have to do something while someone talks me through it to learn something like that!

Good Job!

I am in the same boat..I thought..wow awesome but way too complicated for me..haha

YOURS is awesome though..love it and how earth friendly..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
bunnyface

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009 10:25:08 AM »

Thanks!  I'm partial to it, even though my mom thought brown was boring.  I wouldn't have been able to do it without help from my mommy, she's a champion knitter, and we had a marathon bag knitting visit last weekend.  I haven't knit anything in over a year, and wasn't even sure how to attach when you're knitting in the round anymore!  It's actually not that difficult once you figure out the stitches, it just seems to take forever, because even though it's less than 30 rows, some of the rows each stitch has three or four steps.  They also have videos on their blog showing how to do some of the more difficult stitches, which helped a ton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arcadian green
I wants flies in on dragons!

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009 05:32:34 PM »

I've been wanting to knit some bags to take to the grocery store for awhile now. I have a few patterns saved on Ravelry but I haven't gotten around to making them yet. I love yours! It looks very pretty and I would love to have something like it. Hopefully I get around to making one soon.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silverfisch
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009 04:34:44 PM »

congrats on the great bag! I love the brown you used. brown and green have to be the most earth-friendly colors, hehe

I looked at the pattern and me, being a newbie knitter, managed to produce a bag too  Grin so don't be scared of those strange stitches... they are quite fun, once you frog for the bajillionth time and know how to make them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009 05:54:40 PM »

congrats on the great bag! I love the brown you used. brown and green have to be the most earth-friendly colors, hehe

I looked at the pattern and me, being a newbie knitter, managed to produce a bag too  Grin so don't be scared of those strange stitches... they are quite fun, once you frog for the bajillionth time and know how to make them!

Congrats on your bag too, you should post a picture!  And I agree!  It's looks a lot more intimidating than it really is, it's just that most stitches require more than one step, so one row takes a lot longer than usual.  The worst that can happen is you have to frog it (or if your super knitty mom is there, she can figure out how to unknit a row if you get it wrong).  I just finished my second one, and it went a lot faster now that I know the stitches.  I did it in two afternoons. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silverfisch
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009 06:39:04 AM »

my picture is not as pretty as yours (I love all the apples inside!), I took it as I came back from the supermarket. I should have casted off with a bigger needle so that the mouth of the bag was more elastic and bigger, but it fits so many things inside anyway!

I was thinking about starting a KAL for this bag, so we could help other people facing the stitches. hmmm, I'll think about it again when I start the next one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009 05:10:04 PM »

I love the blue you used, it looks like summer! Cheesy  I've never done a KAL, but let me know if you want to and I'll try it too.  I think I'm going to make these as Christmas gifts, so I'll be doing plenty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rocky Road: A Delicious Dessert For a First Date
Perfect Crust For Your Summer Pies
Make Smores at Home
Seven-Minute Frosting for Coconut Cupcakes
Dairy Free Cupcake Frosting Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...