A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nintend DS Cases/Purses (lots of pictures!) Now with tutorial on page 3!  (Read 53758 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , ds_case , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

silver mom
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009 12:57:44 PM »

YES....... YES...... I want a tut so I can make one for my niece and one for my granddaughter!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marieke B.
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009 12:58:37 AM »

The look fantastic! I wanna make one for my mother, guess I'm the only one her not making it for a child  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bopeep

Love Being Granny !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009 01:42:16 PM »

I love those, they really look great. I would love to see a tut too. One of our Granddaughter's got a DS for her birthday & she would love one of those to carry it in.
 Smiley Cool
bopeep
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dobiemuse

Bronco Dobies FTW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009 02:23:48 PM »

The look fantastic! I wanna make one for my mother, guess I'm the only one her not making it for a child  Cheesy

Well, I've been childish... but I'm not a child. Smiley Plus, I'd love to make one for my mother as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog
My Etsy Shop

Bookmark Swap: In awe of all the creativity!
Lover of Fine crafts
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009 07:25:32 PM »

Great work.
Looking forward to seeing the Tutorial Grin
Thank you for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Heirloom" is  code for "This pattern is so difficult that you would consider death a relief.
vanessow
Zombie Hunter Buys Cheese, Causes Riot

If it ain't broke - Decorate it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009 09:39:11 PM »

These are so cool. I feel like a poser with my made-by-nintendo case! I love the strap to hold the charger in place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--------------------
♣ \/ @ ŋ € § § @ ♣
http://www.vanessow.com
awoodnymph
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009 06:53:38 PM »

I need it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some things I like: vintage ephemera, Pyrex, zombies, the morbid and the macabre, horror, gore, ladies, video games (Zelda, Fallout, World of Warcraft, Heavy Rain), pop culture, Dexter, True Blood, sarcasm, wit, irreverence.
rauni
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009 08:06:19 PM »

I'm about 3/4 of the way done the tutorial, so it should be posted either Thursday or Friday (Canada time).  My "great-niece-in-law" sure was glad you all asked for a tutorial, because now she has a new DS purse! Thanks for your patience.

Rauni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009 09:34:36 AM »

yeah  anxiously  waiting!!  my daughter will love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
rauni
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009 11:51:43 AM »

Nintendo DS case/purse Tutorial

I have uploaded a PDF version of the tutorial here:
http://www.4shared.com/document/w_LTyrMp/Nintendo_DS_case.html

I'm working on trying to create a pdf version too, but with my computer crashed I just can't do it right now.

Also I’ve created a very large photo album via Google/Picassa here (let me know if this works):
http://picasaweb.google.com/ferauna?feat=email

You will not need very much fabric for this purse, I was able to use less than two fat quarters to make one.  You will need two fabrics which I will call the Main fabric (MF) and the Contrast fabric (CF) and some stiff interfacing (I use the iron on “craft” type).  

You will also need a D-Ring or a plastic ring (I had some salvaged off an old backpack or purse), some tiger tail jewelry cord and some crimping beads (found mine at the dollar store) for the wrist strap, or if you are lucky enough to live near a store that sells the wrist strap thingamabobs, you can just buy one of those.  Most of my seams are Ό” or 3/8”, mostly the 3/8”.

Create your pattern pieces:

A – Outside and inside
    9” X 7” – Cut one of MF, one of CF and one of Interfacing
B – Pocket for DS and optional outside pocket
    8.5” X 7” – Cut one from MF (or two if doing the outside pocket)
C – Game Pockets
    13.5” X 7” – Cut one from MF and one from Interfacing
D – Stylus pocket
    3.5” X 2” – Cut one from MF and one from Interfacing
E – Flap closure
    8” X 3” – Cut one from MF and one from Interfacing
F – Padding for DS Pocket
    6” X 3.75” – Cut from compressed foam (fun foam)
G – Padding for DS purse
    8” X 6” – Cut from compressed foam
H – Straps
    1.75” X 36” – Cut two from CF or MF (whatever you want or have enough of.
I – Interfacing for straps
    7/8” X 36
J - Cord wrap
    3" X 8" - fabric of choice
K - Wrist strap
    1.75" X 12" (or maybe longer) - fabric of choice for wrist strap
L - Interfacing for wrist strap
    7/8" X 12" (or longer, match K)

Cut out all your fabric/interfacing and iron on all your interfacing pieces.  For the straps, center the interfacing on the strip.  Press the extra fabric to the center, and then press the straps in half.  Stitch close to the edge of both sides of the straps:

For my straps, I did not have enough fabric for a 36” strip, so I cut two strips approx. 20” long (however long the fat quarter was, I didn’t measure) and stitched them together to make one long strip.  I used a technique I learned somewhere (to make your own bias tape) to reduce the bulk in the “splice” as you can see in the photos, and then I trimmed it down to the 36” length:

Next I made the flap closure, fold piece E in half, if desired, round off the corners (I use a spool of thread for a template) and stitch the 3 sides. Trim, turn and press.

For the game pockets, you need to make some marks on the backside of piece C.  Measure up from the bottom1.5” and mark, then from that mark measure up 1” and mark, from there measure up 1.75” and mark, then 1”, 1.75”, 1”, and 1.75” (you should now have 7 marks).  You then fold and press accordion style at each of the marks, and fold the last piece to the back, then press.

Find the center of the folded piece and mark it on the top and bottom, then measure 1.5” from the center to the left and right and mark the top and bottom.  Using a sewing pencil or marker, make a line from the marks on either the front or the back – as shown in white in the following photo (in hindsight, I should have used the back) and sew along these lines to make the dividers for the games.

Fold and press piece B in half, wrong sides together to form the pocket for the DS (do the same for the optional back pocket if you want one).  Place the foam piece F inside the folded pocket and place on top of piece A of the contrasting fabric along with the folded piece C and the completed flap closure E and any label you may want to add (see the photo).  Baste along all edges to secure.

To create the stylus pocket, fold piece D in half lengthwise and stitch across one short end and the open long side.  Turn (I use long needle nosed pliers to turn small stuff) and press, then tuck in the un-sewn end.  Place in the center of the inside of the case and stitch close to the edge on three sides making sure the tucked end is one of the sewn ends (stitch on red lines shown).

Place handles at each end of the purse and baste them on roughly 1/2” from each side.

If you chose to have the pocket on the back, baste it to the right side of the main fabric piece A, with the fold toward the center like the DS pocket was placed. (I didn’t put this pocket on this time as I have found it really isn’t all that useful and if you do put it, I suggest you make a closure for it since it ends up upside down – Velcro would work well, and to hide the stitching, put the Velcro on the pocket before you fold it) Since I have no photo of this, here is how it would be placed, with my not so pretty Photoshop skills:

Place the main fabric piece A on top of the rest of the purse right sides together (if you put in the back pocket, place the pocket end of A on the “DS pocket end” of the other piece.  Make sure the straps are tucked in and stitch along all the sides except the bottom of the games pocket.  You can stitch in about 1 inch on each side of the games pocket to get nice corners.  Flip it right side out (this is a challenge) and press.  Then insert the other foam piece, G inside.  If you find the foam too big remove it and trim it off about an 1/8” each time and try if for fit again.  Once it fits well, it’s time for the snaps.

Place two snaps on the flap closure roughly a ½’ in from each side and fasten according the manufacturer’s instructions.  Place either the actual Nintendo DS into its pocket or something of a similar size (I used fabric) and mark where the other snaps should be placed on the outside of the purse.  Fasten these snaps on (this is why the outside piece has interfacing otherwise your snaps will rip out – trust me, I know from experience).  Tuck in the raw edges of the fabric and topstitch close to the edge all the way around the purse.  Press again and admire your beautiful work.

For the power cord wrap, I cut a strip 3” by about 8”.  Fold the strip in half lengthwise and press.  Unfold and press each long side to the center and press.  

Unfold all folds and fold the fabric backwards in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and stitch across the top.  Trim if necessary and flip back to the correct side, and tuck in the folded sides.  

Attach one side of your Velcro (I always trim off the corners of Velcro as I find it is always so sharp) Mark a spot 7” from the finished edge then use the same technique as above, folding to the opposite side and stitching, to get a nice finished end.  Attach the other piece of Velcro and stitch the rest of the wrap close to the edge.

For the wrist strap, I cut a strip 1.75” X 12” and a piece of interfacing 7/8” X 10”.  Create the strap the same as for the handles of the purse (see above instructions). Insert the strap into the D-ring or plastic ring and stitch it together about Ό” from the end.  Flip the stitched side to the inside of the ring and move the D-ring or plastic ring to the stitched end.

Place the D-ring or plastic ring between the stitched Ό” part and stitch across the inside of the ring close to the D-ring, (the photo should explain this better than this I hope, I’m getting confused writing it).  

Making the tiger tail loop, I put the tiger tail through the ring then put on about 4 (because they were so small) crimping beads. I then looped the tiger tail around the bigger end and treaded that end through the beads, so there was actually 3 tiger tail strands though the beads (see illustration).

Then crimp the beads, trim any excess tiger tail, and you are done.  I hope this tutorial was understandable.  Feel free to comment or PM me for any clarification and feel free to improve it yourself.  If you make, please post it, I would love to see it! Thanks for looking.

Rauni
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010 09:02:38 AM by rauni » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 27/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 25/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 27/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 24/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 2/29
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...