A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for decorating a HUGE mirror?  (Read 1070 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2009 05:43:29 PM »

Hey Craftsters,

I'm moving into a great new place, but there are two GIANT mirrors that have no frame.

One is in the living room, above the fireplace, and is simply glued into the area...if I can get pictures of this, I'll post them later. Our living room will have a theme: sort of a surf shop/vintage surfer type thing (hibiscus, beach colours, a surf board coffee table if I ever find a surfboard to use, etc.).

The second one is in the bathroom. It's above the vanity. The bathroom will have a steampunk type theme, if all works out.

Both mirrors are easily 4 feet long by 3 or 3/12 feet tall. And because we're renting, we can't stick anything PERMANENT to the mirrors...though I can use double-sided tape to adhere, say, a framing mat... I'd rather not have to screw in big pieces of wood.

Generally speaking, it's a frame-type decoration I'm going for, as opposed to filling in the whole mirror.

Ideas? And if you have ideas and know how to do them, please include some instructions! Also, if you have seen any projects on Craftster or other sites that would give me ideas, feel free to post the links!

THANK YOU ALL for your help!

UPDATE: I still haven't done anything with the mirrors, but I've now got some pictures for you.

Here's the bathroom one: (steampunk theme room)

And the living room one: (surfer theme room)

Keep the ideas coming, please!!!!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009 07:21:45 PM by Craft The World - Reason: Added pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always open to personal swaps...I'm always on the lookout for new bags, shawls, punk/steampunk accessories, Altoids tins, etc. As a professional illustrator/fine artist, I can offer something crafty, or something more artsy. Let's talk!
x46
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009 12:30:31 AM »

I think you've got the right idea: framing mat and double sided tape.  How about decoupaging or painting the frame with your theme or covering it entirely with lightweight things like hibiscus flowers, shells and mini surfboards or outrigger canoes?  And you could cut the mat or whatever into a shape, not just a straight piece, like waves for the surfer theme.  And, if you're putting a mat on top of the mirror, remember that you'll be able to see a bit of the underside reflected, so the underside of the mat has to be finished in from the edges.  Is there a tape that guarantees it will release after a year or so?  I've had to pour nail polish remover down the back of mirrors stuck to a wall with double sided tape as the tape wouldn't let go.  Ugly, but it worked.  Would bluetack work instead of tape?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009 04:49:26 AM »

Good ideas....yes, the adhesive is part of the concern: how do we use something sticky that won't stick forever or won't let go all the time.

The other issue: in the bathroom, the mat paper won't work. My partner and I discussed this last night. We need to find another way to make our steampunk bathroom mirror fun, with something that won't buckle or wobble in the steam from the shower.

I'm willing to get real creative, peeps, as long as it's removable afterwards...It doesn't even have to be an actual frame...though I can't think of what else...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always open to personal swaps...I'm always on the lookout for new bags, shawls, punk/steampunk accessories, Altoids tins, etc. As a professional illustrator/fine artist, I can offer something crafty, or something more artsy. Let's talk!
x46
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009 12:23:48 AM »

How about some thin copper sheets from the craft store, cut to width, rivetted together, hammered, decorated for the bathroom?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009 05:05:30 AM »

How about some thin copper sheets from the craft store, cut to width, rivetted together, hammered, decorated for the bathroom?

That's a neat idea! I would be lightweight too, which is good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomico
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009 08:46:54 PM »

I think you could hang some lays (sp?) and Mardi Grah beeds around the mirror in the living room. Do magnets work on mirrors? If they do you could add magnets to a variety of tropical silk flowers and / or fruit and place them on the mirror. How would a grass skirt look along the bottom? For the steam punk bathroom you could age the copper with vinagar or you could learn to do metal embassing to add some texture. I am working on this and plan to get the book Metal Embossing Workshop from Sterling Publications.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChipNClancysMom

Where Martha Stewart meets Martha Raye!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009 03:16:56 PM »

There is a company called artscapes that makes window clings that make your windows look like stained glass. You just apply them with a squeegie and water and they peel right off when you are ready to move. They can be cut to any shape and while I have only used them on windows, I am sure they could be used to edge a mirror. They have their own website, but I have also seen them sold at Home Depot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009 06:15:36 AM »

There is a company called artscapes that makes window clings that make your windows look like stained glass. You just apply them with a squeegie and water and they peel right off when you are ready to move. They can be cut to any shape and while I have only used them on windows, I am sure they could be used to edge a mirror. They have their own website, but I have also seen them sold at Home Depot.

This is a really good idea! I hope Home Depot has the border-type ones, as I don't want to cover up the entire mirror. Keep the ideas coming, people! I have two of these giant mirrors to deal with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luna1375
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009 05:57:10 AM »

I'm thinking maybe you could use suction cup hooks to hang like, a garland that goes all the way around.  The garland could be string with surf and ocean things for the surf room, or copper wires with gears and clock parts for the bathroom.  As long as it's lightweight.

If you like those vinyl things at Home Depot, I think you can just cut them into strips with scissors to make a border.  If you can find that material but plain, you could use sharpies and draw your own design too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
SarahBlais
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009 11:48:43 AM »

What about making traditional frames for the mirrors out of decorative molding? At the hardware store they sell molding made out of styrofoam. Since it's made of styrofoam instead of wood, it would be easy to cut without using a big saw. And it would also be lightweight enough that you could attach it to your mirror or wall using velcro or that removeable 3M tape. This would solve the problem of using a paper/cardboard mat in your bathroom too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Face Paint a Galactic Alien
Margo Machida Profiles Asian American Activist Artists
Artist Wucius Wong Describes Chinese Calligraphy
Superhero Origins: Beast
The Dynamic History of Stencil Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...