A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,347
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Language Learners Swap. Signups closed, partners pending. Send outs 15 June  (Read 21430 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hollywood suicide

Are you scared enough

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009 09:30:53 AM »

Awesome swap! And questionnaire sent! Cheesy

Meep, forgot to write the language-specifics ^^  My first language is Swedish, but I can offer German as well (Since the bf's mother is from Germany so he speaks it)

And next semester I will be learning Russian at my university, cuz that's the most awesome and beautiful language in the world! Cheesy I just hope I get in! <3
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 09:49:47 AM by hollywood suicide » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've seen the universe in your eyes
I've seen the beauty that never dies
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009 09:33:53 AM »

Creole languages make for a pretty interesting study in the history of human migrations,

oooohhhh historical MAPS!! craft idea.   i suck at history and geography, but i always wish i didn't and try to learn some, even though it's late.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 09:34:39 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009 09:51:24 AM »

Oh maps, YES!

You know.... apparently the old seafaring ethnicities of Indonesia had trade routes with the North Australian Aborigines... AND the Malagasy off the coast of Africa. The language of Madagascar is closely related to Malay.

Man. Maps open up a whole new world of fun. Imagine learning the cities of the world in Japanese...

BTW: I would love for some Russian speakers to come and join. A few more Dutch and Swedish speakers wouldn't go astray either. Arabic too, please - unless one of our current swappers will be happy with my tiny tiny knowledge of Arabic - which is mostly rooted in Islamic greeting and exclamations (I can say something like "Allah save my eyes from what they've witnessed" in Arabic.... )
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 10:04:30 AM by Kitten Wrangler » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
LostInOz
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009 09:59:04 AM »

Oh, maps would be cool!

What about food related crafts... like a reusable shopping bag stenciled with the words for favourite foods in your partner's chosen language, or a crafted recipe book teaching your partner to cook some typical dishes in the country/countries where their language is spoken (with the recipe in that language)?

Travel journal, making use of the language.

Embroidery opens a whole world of possibilities, since embroidered text is so easily bent to languages Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitten Wrangler

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2009 10:02:27 AM »

This is a reasonably important organiser note

We're getting a lot of EFL speakers here - what I mean is that this is turning truly international, and we're starting to get swappers whose first language is not English. This is awesome.  I am so excited about this swap!

But.

I speak, and write, a slangy casual Australian English. And sometimes it means that I use a turn of phrase, or an idiom or something that's not easily understood outside of Australia. If you can't understand something that I'm saying, please please please slip me a PM, and I'll adjust what I'm saying so that it's more easily understood.

That is all. As you were.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitten Wrangler

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2009 10:03:15 AM »

LostinOz, those are some fantastic ideas. I'll add them to the list at the start of this thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

battenberg
Dancing queen

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2009 11:28:58 AM »

If you have more EFL does that mean that I can join? I live in England which as you may know (if you know random information like this) has flipping terrible language teaching at school. I still know a smidge of French but mostly what my grandma taught me before I started school. Other than that I just know some Yiddish.

Im applying to move to Japan to teach English next year though so need to get to it with the Japanese and this seems like it would be perfect! Also have a holiday in Spain in October and anything that would help there as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity.  There is no cure for curiosity- Dorothy Parker.
LostInOz
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2009 11:50:42 AM »

I speak, and write, a slangy casual Australian English. And sometimes it means that I use a turn of phrase, or an idiom or something that's not easily understood outside of Australia.

I have the same problem! I sometimes have to translate my Australian English for the British people in my office, or my boyfriend and his parents. I don't even realise I'm using strange Aussie idioms until someone looks at me funny, or laughs. Then there's my non-native English speaking colleagues who get *really* confused by the strange things I say, yet somehow I'm the go-to person for clarifying the "correct" English.

Crafted phrase book? I find the most important things to know when travelling are usually ordering food, checking into hotels/hostels, buying tickets, and dealing with public transport. It wouldn't be too hard to reduce the basics into a mini-phrase book, at least in the languages I'm mildly familiar with. Edit: Just re-read first post, that's already on the list Smiley

Gah! So many crafty ideas!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 12:16:39 PM by LostInOz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

grenouille78
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2009 12:02:41 PM »

This is a really cool swap!!! Unfortunately, I just don't have the time for it since I'm in three right now. But for what it's worth (and should there be a second language swap!): My French approaches fluency; Spanish is there but rusty -- it comes back when I need it (with French thrown in, lol); Italian is rudimentary, but enough that I can get around; ASL and German are probably a notch down from that; then I have assorted random words and phrases in Slovak/Czech and Korean. I used to know the Korean alphabet (and subsequently, could read anything printed, although I had no idea what I was reading) and could probably relearn it if I found my notes again. I LOVE languages and try to pick things up anytime I can. {sigh} I wish this swap had started just a little bit later! All these cool ones are overlapping!

Here's an idea: Someone could illustrate (draw, paint, cut up a magazine, stamp, whatever) and caption a well-known fairytale (thank you, Hans Christian Andersen) in X language. Ooh, and even narrate it on cassette!

One of my favorite things for my dd is a cd of traditional French children's songs. How fun would it be to have traditional songs in different languages? They're old, so no copyright issues there. Like, every little native English speaker learns "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star," and little French children learn "Sur le pont d'Avignon," etc. What do little Russian/Indonesian/whatever kids learn?

There, hopefully I've made myself useful.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2009 03:01:29 PM »

"A-E-I-O-U: el burro sabe mas que tu"
my mexican friend was so impressed that i knew this... apparently even if gringos speak a lot of spanish, they usually never know the childhood stuff...

great ideas, grenouille!  sorry if you can't join us... but you should TRY... Huh

i think anything in common right text... what's the english i want here?  public domain, yeah.... anything that has passed into public domain is fair game.

(sorry my brain only slept 2 hrs.  but i did finish grades on time, so that was good.)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 03:03:56 PM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Game Designer Explains the Counterintuitive Secret to Fun
Designing a Brand to Help Kill Malaria
Capturing the Invisible World of Technology with Graphic Design
Golden Rules for Successful Collaborations, from Star Hotel Designers
VF NEWS: Bergdorf Goodman Holiday Windows & UNICEF Snowflake Lighting 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...