A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Language Learners Swap. Signups closed, partners pending. Send outs 15 June  (Read 17819 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HM Elfke
aka elfke the strange

weirdo

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009 08:02:39 AM »

I always wanted to learn some sign language!

And yes, singing rules!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep on smiling, cause when you're smiling the whole world smiles with you!
titaniumhip
Titaniumhip Sews

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009 08:39:30 AM »

This swap seems perfect for me!!
I am signing up for a German course in the summer!!!
I can speak French and a LITTLE Spanish.
I do however have an Inuit/English dictionary as my name is Inuit....but unless you are up in Northern Canada I don't think it will be THAT useful..heheheeh

Yea....I'm totally signing up.

hee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009 08:44:17 AM »

Inuit?

I may be in love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009 08:50:57 AM »

i know, right?!  how cool to just be READY for that day you finally meet an Inuit person.  or Javanese.  or ... ?!

ETA: 
just curious, is anybody into ConLangs?  (constructed languages)
i prefer the feel of organic languages (the ones that "just sort of happened") but i know a lot of other language buffs love conlangs, too.

speaking of organic... i almost forgot to ask if anybody is into creole (mixed) languages like the Kreyol of Haiti (which i mostly understand but don't speak, i just think it's interesting), or Spanglish, or Singlish...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 08:57:52 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
titaniumhip
Titaniumhip Sews

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009 09:00:08 AM »

Did I miss how much we are making for this swap....? 
If not...what are the sizes and such...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LostInOz
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009 09:01:16 AM »

OMG, I want in... just have to wait for feedback on my first swap Smiley My partner received last week, but I haven't received yet... should be easily in time though.

English is my only fluent language, but I could scrape together enough French, Italian and Spanish by myself to put together enough for a swap. Plus, I work in a super-duper international company, and could probably bribe some written German, Arabic, Czech and Polish out of colleagues if necessary, which I could then use to craft. Maaaaybe even some Swedish, if I asked very nicely.

I just came back from France last night, and pledged not to speak to my two French speaking colleagues in English again, in order to work on my French. Lasted about 2 minutes, but I'm determined to persevere.

Shall bookmark the swap and follow along intently Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tcha345
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009 09:05:43 AM »

Oh man! This looks like an awesome swap. Smiley There are so many languages I want to learn.

I want to learn Vietnamese the most.  My family is from Vietnam and it'd be really nice to understand what they're saying.

I took 3 years of french in high school and 3 semesters of Japanese in college.  I know minimal sign language but would really like to expand any of these languages.  

I would love to also learn Arabic, Spanish and/or Italian as well. Smiley

Going to send in my info...  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm awesome. Smiley

I have vintage yarn that I would like to give to someone! Please send a message if you'd like to obtain it.  I have lots!
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009 09:09:59 AM »

Did I miss how much we are making for this swap....? 
If not...what are the sizes and such...

"We will be swapping 1x large and 1x medium item, or the equivalent thereof. Please discuss with your partner about what you'll be sending so that no one is disappointed or freaked out by the quantity of items they receive."

I went with my personal preferences for the swap items - I'd rather make fewer items of better quality than a bunch of little items. Wink Of course, you and your partner are welcome to adjust that - as long as you both agree on the size/number of items you'lll send to each other.

OMG, I want in... just have to wait for feedback on my first swap Smiley My partner received last week, but I haven't received yet... should be easily in time though.

English is my only fluent language, but I could scrape together enough French, Italian and Spanish by myself to put together enough for a swap. Plus, I work in a super-duper international company, and could probably bribe some written German, Arabic, Czech and Polish out of colleagues if necessary, which I could then use to craft. Maaaaybe even some Swedish, if I asked very nicely.

I just came back from France last night, and pledged not to speak to my two French speaking colleagues in English again, in order to work on my French. Lasted about 2 minutes, but I'm determined to persevere.

Shall bookmark the swap and follow along intently Smiley

Oh please do come along. I'd love a few more multilingual people in the swap. Arabic would be a useful one!

Also, persevere with the only speaking French deal. When I was an exchange student, the European students pointed out that it wasn't fair that the Kiwi and I could talk to everyone in our first language, when they didn't have the same privilege. We all spoke nothing but Indonesian with each other after that, and our fluency was just... incredible compared to the other kids in the program.

i know, right?!  how cool to just be READY for that day you finally meet an Inuit person.  or Javanese.  or ... ?!

ETA: 
speaking of organic... i almost forgot to ask if anybody is into creole (mixed) languages like the Kreyol of Haiti (which i mostly understand but don't speak, i just think it's interesting), or Spanglish, or Singlish...
I love me some Tok Pisin (from Papua New Guinea). My little cousin used to be reasonably fluent in it, but he's just lost it all in since he came back to Australia.
There's a special idiolect that I speak, and one that's really only ever understood by another 4 people - the aforementioned exchange students. We had our own variety of Indoglish that was just this awesome melange of all the bits of languages we knew, mixed in with Indonesian affixes and vocabulary with an underlying English structure. I miss that language.

But! Folks!! Let's talk of the languages... AND let's talk of the craft as well. Must remain on topic, you know.

Which leads me to another idea - how about a 'how to craft' guide in a foreign language? I could teach you to count in Indonesian or Italian via crochet patterns... Wink
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 09:14:37 AM by Kitten Wrangler » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009 09:19:03 AM »

tcha345: vietnamese is actually really useful (outside family) in many parts of the US.  around here (SC), they seem to be the biggest immigrant group after hispanics.  and of course to go there and know what VietNam is like, must be amazing.  my mum's great friend (like adopted daughter) is vietnamese.  i always found it a terribly hard language and didn't even manage to start, but if you can get your brain around it, you should go for it!!  it should help if you might have heard it off and on growing up.

i think the Hmong language would be a cool addition, too.  seems like every semester, lately, i have between 1 and 3 Hmong-American students taking Spanish 101.

There's a special idiolect that I speak, and one that's really only ever understood by another 4 people - the aforementioned exchange students. We had our own variety of Indoglish that was just this awesome melange of all the bits of languages we knew, mixed in with Indonesian affixes and vocabulary with an underlying English structure. I miss that language.

LOL my dh and i have a spanglish like that.  it's great.

i like many ideas so far.  i think a crafting guide and vocabulary of maybe a craft the partners have in common, would be a great thing to make.

trying to remember the ASL for some crafts... i want to say they are like miming the action (knitting, ex) mostly, but i would have to check.

speaking of signed languages, i think 3d would be good, too.  imagine a polymer clay version of your namesign or special favorite word.  imagine a signing automaton (ok that's WAY bigger than a large, but what about a pop-up book that does a few words?)

oh and i just saw easy stamps made with glass blobs and craft foam.  that would be a great way to make an alphabet of a language that you can't easily buy alphabet stamps of...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 09:27:31 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Sofiushka
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009 09:27:58 AM »

That sounds pretty interesting. I can understand a bit of written/spoken creole from Cabo Verde, though I couldn't write it to save my life. Creole languages make for a pretty interesting study in the history of human migrations, methinks. I'm a sucker for interdisciplinary studies! Linguistics, history, genetics, social studies, all in one!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Holiday Hair Bow in 2 Minutes Flat
Tips for Thicker Hair and Lots of Volume
Nicole Scherzinger Inspired Braided Ponytail Tutorial
How to Do a Side Bun with a Bun Ring
The Best Picks for Hair Masks
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...