A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Language Learners Swap. Signups closed, partners pending. Send outs 15 June  (Read 17678 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2009 05:00:50 PM »

If you have more EFL does that mean that I can join? I live in England which as you may know (if you know random information like this) has flipping terrible language teaching at school. I still know a smidge of French but mostly what my grandma taught me before I started school. Other than that I just know some Yiddish.

Oooh. Yiddish is a yes please!! There's been some requests for that. You're welcome to join anyway - even scraps of other languages can be polished up into a stylish swap item.

I've not had anyone say yet that they want to improve on their English, and I don't quite know how to specify that it's okay for EFL speakers to list English as a language they want to learn, yet quell any potential tides of monolinguals wanting to join and teach their English to someone. Having a few English-only speakers is fine but I'd worry about a glut of swappers happy to teach English, but not having enough LOTEs otherwise. Does that make sense?

Though at the moment, it's going well - people are offering up whatever bits of languages they know, and that's how we're going to really have a great swap - sure, it would be great to receive a comprehensive instruction about how to speak Yiddish, but if all your partner knows is a Yiddish nursery rhyme and the names of family members, then so be it. There's NOTHING wrong with learning just that little bit of Yiddish.

I have the same problem! I sometimes have to translate my Australian English for the British people in my office, or my boyfriend and his parents. I don't even realise I'm using strange Aussie idioms until someone looks at me funny, or laughs.

Have you tried using 'arc up'? I love that one - it's so descriptive to describe someone who's quick to get angry as 'arcing up'. Also - there's a word from my hometown, Albury, that I used to use all the time in Melbourne, and never be understood. It was very frustrating, because 'doing a deanie' up home was the act of just cruising down the main street to see what was going on, to show off your car, to have some fun etc etc etc. I'd see the doof-doof cars on Chapel street do it all the time, but no one understood me when I yelled about the morons clogging up Chapel with alll their deanies. Also, check out the latest GNW on the C10 website - Adam Hills shows us all a gesture that's unique to Auslan - and in some beautiful piece of lifepoetry, of all the sign language cultures that exist in the world, apparently only the Australians needed a sign that meant "F-- you, F-- the lot of youse".

I think I'd like a polymer clay statue of that gesture.....

One of my favorite things for my dd is a cd of traditional French children's songs. How fun would it be to have traditional songs in different languages? They're old, so no copyright issues there. Like, every little native English speaker learns "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star," and little French children learn "Sur le pont d'Avignon," etc. What do little Russian/Indonesian/whatever kids learn?

Grenouille... ooh how I wish the dates were better for you - and for riechan and the couple of others who want in on this swap, but the dates are wrong for them. I think I'm going to have to run a second round....

Traditional songs are a wonderful idea, as well. Last month, back in Yogya, my Mama taught me a bunch of songs so that I could sing them to the baby (prior to that, I'd been singing David Bowie songs to him). I hope to hell I haven't lost the piece of paper she wrote them down on.... Oooh. Lookit what I found: Indonesian nursery rhymes! That's one of the ones Mama taught me!! Although - that site really does a bad job with spelling and translation. Whoever has translated some of those songs doesn't really speak Indonesian at all. Take this as a gentle reminder, dear reader - don't believe the Internet! It is not your language friend!

Actually - another idea. A set of 7 baby onesies with the days of the week on them. My sister has them in English for her bub. Remember our crafty ideas can also encompass adding a little extra language to the lives of the extremely receptive children. Which opens up a new range of options: Play food labelled in another language? Dolls, charts, memory-match game card things. And of course, the aforementioned children's songs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
schnerby
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2009 06:44:35 PM »

OK, I'm going to be in when I get home today and can write my questionnaire.

I am an English teacher, but I speak Chinese and would be happy to teach it. Also, I live in China so finding materials is no problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
Muria
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2009 07:44:50 PM »

Of course, one of the other useful phrases is where to find a bathroom/facility/loo/outhouse/restroom, etc.  Smiley   It's one of the phrases I distinctly remember from my Russian class (from the "dialog" book), in part because the response was something to the effect of "you couldn't find a toilet here in the daytime with a flashlight."  Grin  Even though I've never smoked, I can also remember how to say, "do you have a light(er)?" 

If we ever covered crafting terms, it was when I was not paying attention, unfortunately (after all, it *was* college). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
grenouille78
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2009 09:29:32 PM »

Grenouille... ooh how I wish the dates were better for you - and for riechan and the couple of others who want in on this swap, but the dates are wrong for them. I think I'm going to have to run a second round....

Yes, yes! And I'll keep an eye out for it next time. Now that I know that such a fabulous thing exists!

Traditional songs are a wonderful idea, as well. Last month, back in Yogya, my Mama taught me a bunch of songs so that I could sing them to the baby (prior to that, I'd been singing David Bowie songs to him).

LOL Dh sings "Safety Dance" and REM's "Stand" to my girls.  Cheesy Good thing for that French cd to help even things out! lol

Actually - another idea. A set of 7 baby onesies with the days of the week on them. My sister has them in English for her bub. Remember our crafty ideas can also encompass adding a little extra language to the lives of the extremely receptive children. Which opens up a new range of options: Play food labelled in another language? Dolls, charts, memory-match game card things. And of course, the aforementioned children's songs.

Those are cool ideas, too! My brain keeps trying to think of more ways to teach language. I'm probably not going to sleep tonight now. Thanks a lot. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mcbenno
Pronounced mc.ben.no, not mc.bean.o ;)

It's a guineasaurus rex!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2009 09:39:26 PM »

I am so torn. I was so excited about this swap, but I'm getting married in 3.5 months and am basically DIY-ing everything and haven't started, and I told myself I wouldn't sign up for any more swaps, but... IT'S LANGUAGES!! Sad I LOVE languages! Ugh.

Just to tell what I can offer: my first language is English, I am pretty good with Spanish, I know some German and American Sign Language, and a TINY bit of Czech, Japanese, and French. I also have language books in my home on Italian, Russian. The FH is quite good with German, so I could have him help me if my partner wanted to learn German words.

And going back a few pages - speaking of being more fluent when intoxicated Wink... one of my favorite stories from our trip to Germany two years ago is when my English speaking friends and I were leaving Oktoberfest and trying to find our way back to the hotel and for some reason I could only think of directional words in Spanish. I guess drunk mcbenno is Spanish speaking... Grin

I'm gonna keep on following this, but if I join it might be last minute... I'm going to have to see how things are going at that point.

Also, I couldn't get the Australian Sign Language video to load Sad... although the claymation doggies were quite cute. I'll try again later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2009 09:48:25 PM »

It's not a video about sign languge per se - it's a weekly topical comedy show, and one of this week's guests is a comedian who knows a bit about Auslan. I just had tears of laughter when I saw that snippet.

If cajoling will help you make a decision, you have some very very useful languages listed there..... they'd be much desired.... *fluttery eyelashes, pleading look*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
schnerby
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2009 09:52:08 PM »

Ok, sent my info in. Sounds like fun to me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2009 12:17:22 AM »

I seem to be more fluent in another language when ordering food. Lots of snippets of Spanish and Tagalog have been spoken to me while eating. Smiley

Edit: I suppose if some one also wanted to learn Tagalog I can pester my dad into teaching me phrases. Then I can also learn some too! My partner would be helping the both of us.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009 12:18:33 AM by raeraethejetplane » THIS ROCKS   Logged

EOcrafter
Never met a craft I didn't like

mmm rummy drink!

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2009 05:53:57 AM »

I am totally signing up for this later today!  what a great idea..I have just aquired a new last name that is whip in german!  time to learn some german Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaundryBunny
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2009 07:01:08 AM »

Wow this thread has exploded!  I was ttrying to hold off, but I don't think that I can resist joining this swap.  I've got a decent amount of Spanish and quite a lot of German.  And I'd love to learn just about any language, especially Japanese or some form of Chinese; something completely different than English.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elevator Makeover - Dressing for a Job Search
Outfit of the Day: How a Professional Stylist Styles Herself
Elevator Makeover - Getting a More Flattering and Fit Look for the Office
Chioma Nnadi on Her Summer Denim Trend
Our Top Picks From Isabel Marant for H&M
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...