A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quick Graduation card/gift box & tutorial link  (Read 7128 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lrschic
« on: May 10, 2009 07:47:44 AM »

My mom is graduating from college with her Bachelor's degree next week. I'm so proud of her, because we were going to school at the same time and when I graduated last year, she felt a little left behind. Now she is finished and I wanted to celebrate her!
I haven't decided what to make as her gift yet, but I did make her a 3-D mortar board cap card.

When you open it up, there is space for a small gift. (The ring is just a prop.) It's perfect for a note, cash, or small trinket.

I thought that I would share the project in case anyone else has 2009 graduates to make a gift for.

For this craft you will need:

Scissors
Card stock or heavy paper (I used black, but you can match the color to your grad's school.)
Yarn for the tassel
1 metal brad
Hot glue gun
Glue stick

Although there are several steps to this tutorial, each one is simple and the craft can be completed very quickly.

1. Cut 5 pieces of yarn measuring about 3 inches. This will be the tassel fringe.

2. Cut out a longer piece of yarn. This will be the part of the tassel fastened to the hat.

3. Tie the long piece of yarn in a knot around the middle of the 5 small pieces.

4. Hold up the two long ends and pull the yarn for the fringe down so that it resembles a tassel.

5. Take another small piece of yarn and tie it about 1/4 down from the top of the tassel.

6. Pull the excess yarn from this knot down into the fringe and cut it to line up with the other pieces.

7. Now you have a completed tassel for the graduation cap.

8. Next you will need 1 metal brad in any color (these can be found in just about any craft store near the card-making and scrapbooking supplies). You will also need to cut out a square hat top from heavy paper. I used black card stock.

9. Push the brad through the center of the square.

10. Unfold the legs of the brad on the backside.

11. Tie a knot at the top of the tassel strings and slide the loop around the brad. Pull tight to secure.

12. Once you have finished the top of the hat, cut out a circle piece for the bottom and two long rectangles.

13. Take the glue stick and glue the ends of one of the long rectangles together to form a circle. Do this again to the other paper strip, making it slightly smaller so as to fit inside the other circle.

14. Place these circles onto the backsides of the square cap and circle pieces. You can trace around these to know where to put the hot glue, or you can just eyeball it. (I traced them with a pencil.)

15. Draw a circle of hot glue around the traced line and push the circle piece onto the hat. Do this for the other piece too. If necessary, you can keep hot gluing around the inside of the circles until they are secure. It makes a messy looking inside...

16. ...so glue a circular piece of paper inside to cover the messy hot glue.

Any grad will love this thoughtful handmade gift. Let the hot glue dry for a minute and you have a very cute graduation gift. I hope that this craft is quick, easy, and fun for you to make. The best part will be giving it away and having your graduate enjoy it too.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009 01:24:17 PM by Phizzychick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."~ Roald Dahl

My website: www.craftemagee.com
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009 06:10:32 PM »

What a lovely tutorial!  And a great crafty card for a grad.  Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010 03:02:32 PM »

Now I know what to do next year ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
jennalynnrichards
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010 05:24:58 AM »

This is such a cute idea! I will have to save this for my little brothers future graduations. Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twoeyedcyclops

Hi, I like you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010 08:22:47 AM »

Oohh I love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look me up on Society 6!
http://society6.com/twoeyedcyclops

I also have one o' them tumblrs
http://cyclopsmakething.tumblr.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Tutorial -Toning & Burning
Simulate Acrylic or Oil Portrait in Photoshop
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 3a
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 2c
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1c
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...