A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gathered a-line skirt  (Read 1013 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charm-city-coop
« on: May 09, 2009 08:21:15 PM »

I keep going onto urban outfitters online these days to check out pattern inspirations (because many of the clothes seem like things I could actually make) and I keep running into gathered a-line skirts.  So I thought I would have a go at it!  I'm pretty proud of the result... it isn't perfect by any means, but its the first time I've ever modified a pattern as well as my first successful lining attempt.  Basically I added 2 inches to the top of the skirt (for each pattern panel) and also drafted the "half-circle style"... yoke?  facing?  not sure of the term for skirts!  I love gathered skirts... I made this one a bit shorter than what I usually go for but because its gathered I think I can get away with it.  Plus it seems to be kind of forgiving in terms of hiding my mistakes!  I wore it to work today and got compliments from my coworkers... but in the back of my mind I know that they know that I love to sew, and I *can't help but wonder* if they're just saying things to make me feel good because they can tell this was something I made!  lol!!  oh well, I like it anyways... on to the images!

Sorry for the blurry messy studio mirror shots!  Oh, and as a bonus, this skirt was made from a shower curtain that I got for $1 at the amazing GBMC sale here in charm city.... and it was HALF OFF!!!

Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
singmeasong12
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009 09:50:57 AM »

no, that's definitely cute! it does look like the urban outfitters stuff - i always go in there and say i could make that! but i never do so awesome job Smiley the yoke adds a lot to the skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissJessica
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009 02:56:08 PM »

Super cute! I don't think it looks homemade (not in a negative sense I mean, homemade stuff IS the best-- it looks professional and perfect). And you've gotta love a good deal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
go-home!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009 10:05:52 AM »

nice pattern, i will try it on blue fabric i think
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bladerunner
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009 10:20:05 AM »

Nice job on the skirt  Smiley

Oh, and as far as your co-workers' comments go - in my experience, people don't usually bother giving compliments unless they mean it. Unless it's been forced in conversation somehow.

"Check out the skirt I finished last night!" "Um, yeah, it's fabulous" = forced, actual compliment suspect.

"Hiya. Hey, nice skirt!"  "Thanks, I just finished it last night!"  = not forced, and most likely they meant it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Who's the freak in the tights?"
"Haven't been in Gotham long, have you kid?"
     --Batman Beyond
NickyDee

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009 02:15:27 PM »

I love it, I also love Urban Outfitters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lee-lee ess.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009 08:46:27 PM »

cute!  You did a great job altering the pattern to make it work for you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Practicing Patience in Photography
Exploring the Ordinary in Your Photographs
Using Light in Portraits
The Five Visual Draws
Doug Jaeger on How Photography Passion Plays Into Creative Career
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...