A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gathered a-line skirt  (Read 1041 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charm-city-coop
« on: May 09, 2009 08:21:15 PM »

I keep going onto urban outfitters online these days to check out pattern inspirations (because many of the clothes seem like things I could actually make) and I keep running into gathered a-line skirts.  So I thought I would have a go at it!  I'm pretty proud of the result... it isn't perfect by any means, but its the first time I've ever modified a pattern as well as my first successful lining attempt.  Basically I added 2 inches to the top of the skirt (for each pattern panel) and also drafted the "half-circle style"... yoke?  facing?  not sure of the term for skirts!  I love gathered skirts... I made this one a bit shorter than what I usually go for but because its gathered I think I can get away with it.  Plus it seems to be kind of forgiving in terms of hiding my mistakes!  I wore it to work today and got compliments from my coworkers... but in the back of my mind I know that they know that I love to sew, and I *can't help but wonder* if they're just saying things to make me feel good because they can tell this was something I made!  lol!!  oh well, I like it anyways... on to the images!

Sorry for the blurry messy studio mirror shots!  Oh, and as a bonus, this skirt was made from a shower curtain that I got for $1 at the amazing GBMC sale here in charm city.... and it was HALF OFF!!!

Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
singmeasong12
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009 09:50:57 AM »

no, that's definitely cute! it does look like the urban outfitters stuff - i always go in there and say i could make that! but i never do so awesome job Smiley the yoke adds a lot to the skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissJessica
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009 02:56:08 PM »

Super cute! I don't think it looks homemade (not in a negative sense I mean, homemade stuff IS the best-- it looks professional and perfect). And you've gotta love a good deal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
go-home!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009 10:05:52 AM »

nice pattern, i will try it on blue fabric i think
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bladerunner
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009 10:20:05 AM »

Nice job on the skirt  Smiley

Oh, and as far as your co-workers' comments go - in my experience, people don't usually bother giving compliments unless they mean it. Unless it's been forced in conversation somehow.

"Check out the skirt I finished last night!" "Um, yeah, it's fabulous" = forced, actual compliment suspect.

"Hiya. Hey, nice skirt!"  "Thanks, I just finished it last night!"  = not forced, and most likely they meant it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Who's the freak in the tights?"
"Haven't been in Gotham long, have you kid?"
     --Batman Beyond
NickyDee

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009 02:15:27 PM »

I love it, I also love Urban Outfitters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lee-lee ess.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009 08:46:27 PM »

cute!  You did a great job altering the pattern to make it work for you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Portable Play Sack
How to Construct a Growth Chart for Children
How to Make a Handmade Nylon Pouch Travel Bag
How to Design T-Shirts With Potato Stamps
How to Knit Spell Bound Scarves
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...