A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CCC - Crafty Chessboard Centerpieces!  (Read 2232 times)
Tags for this thread: chess  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Elsinora

This is the plane of suck.

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2009 04:50:52 PM »

The backstory: I'm getting married in August.  I have a very large and very close-knit extended family.  My fiance, on the other hand, had a small extended family to begin with, and the of the few relatives he has, several have disqualified themselves from an invitation (his father and stepmother were abusive, and his mother's side of the family plotted to get his mother declared an unfit parent just so that his uncle with three daughters could get custody and thus have a male child...and then completely disowned my fiance and his mother both when their attempt at legal kidnapping failed.  What a lovely bunch!), and his grandfather's health is too poor to be able to attend.  So between the fact that we're getting married in my hometown and that my relatives outnumber his about ten to one, I was terribly concerned that my poor fiance would feel left out at his own wedding.

Then, my mother had a brilliant idea: why not make the theme of the reception revolve around one of HIS interests?  So we decided that the centerpieces would incorporate the OTHER love of his life: chess!

The result:

It's a chess king and queen standing under a chuppah (Jewish wedding canopy).  Half of the centerpieces will look like the one pictured, while the other half will have blue chess pieces and white chuppah poles.  The chess pieces are not "real" chess pieces, because we couldn't find any chess sets in which the king didn't have a cross on his crown...which, since we are Jewish, would be weird.  So the chess pieces are made out of three-inch wooden candlesticks from Michaels.  The king's crown is just one of the same wooden birthday candle holders we used for the base of the poles, just turned upside down and glued in place.  And the colors were chosen to match the bridesmaids' dresses, which are blue and aqua.

We're also thinking about baking a plain sheet cake for the wedding, using icing to make similar blue and white chessboard squares on top, and making a chess king and queen cake topper to match the theme, but my father thinks it would be too hokey.  What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe using a kettle and some string. And look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable."
Kaseyana
The Fashionable Blogging Vegetarian

Life is too short to wear boring clothes.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009 07:04:00 PM »

That's very sweet of you as well as being a cute idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chellery

We're both social halfwits & I think its fantastic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009 10:42:02 PM »

What a great idea! And I don't think your cake idea is hokey at all! (Although I am biased, we are doing Alice in Wonderland and I want chess king and Queen cake toppers too!)

Have you thought about doing the whole chess set made out of chocolate? We've come across some molds online that don't appear to be TOO labor intensive... And I don't recall crosses on the tops specifically.

If you want to go a little more traditional, you could always try the checkerboard pans. You could frost it any way you want, throw the toppers on it, and it will still fit the chess theme when you cut it open!

I think it's a lovely idea and the sentiment behind it is very sweet also. (Not to mention I would NEVER have recognized those as candlesticks if you hadn't said so. How terribly resourceful! I am impressed!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every invention, every achievement, has come out of dissatisfaction, not serentiy. No one ever said: 'Things are perfect, let's invent fire.' "
hardyjenni
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009 12:24:53 AM »

I think it's a sweet idea.  You could always do the groom's cake as the chess board, and do something slightly different for the bride's cake.  maybe a small tiered cake with fondant chess pieces encircling (sp?) it.  Pawns on the bottom layer, bigger pieces on the next, king and queen on top.  You could have a lot of fun with this. or a cupcake tier (to save money) with gumpaste chess pieces or chocolate pieces on top of each cupcake.  you can get chess piece candy molds to use:  http://slice-heaven.com/system/0000/7467/ChessPiecesMld90-13453_small.jpg

here's a cute cake:  http://www.liweddings.com/mywedding/album/i/87847.jpg
cupcakes:  http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3134/2589616263_5f792f4d8b_b.jpg
this one is for the twilight series book Breaking Dawn, but it's still cute and chess related:  http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/2717486890_4090b8366c.jpg?v=1217450906

You could also have a tiled dance floor that's 8 squares by 8 squares.

I love the candlesticks as chess pieces.  they're unique and they look like regular king and queen pieces.

I absolutely love your theme!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
hardyjenni
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009 12:26:18 AM »

oops!  I repeated a lot of what chellery said!  I should have read all of the responses before posting!  Sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
Elsinora

This is the plane of suck.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009 06:54:30 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the helpful hints!  Cheesy  I'm definitely going to have to look into those checkerboard cake pans and chocolate molds.  Now, if I could just figure out how to make a cake topper that won't be too heavy and sink into the cake... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe using a kettle and some string. And look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Halloween Cupcake Ideas to Try
5 Great Halloween Treat Ideas to Try
Marble Cupcake Recipe By Lisa Marley
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
How to Make the Perfect Croissants
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...