A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black & Bright Alphabet I Spy  (Read 865 times)
Tags for this thread: i_spy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 07, 2009 09:13:55 PM »

It *was* a UFO, but now it's a quilt! The top of this quilt was pieced over a year ago. It started life as an alphabet panel. I cut apart all the letters and the stars, added sashing and some tiny little novelty prints. It's a super cute Alphabet I Spy quilt now! 

I've been admiring the pieced backings on so many lovely quilts that I decided to try it out for myself. Must say, I was wavering there after it was pieced. Too much somehow? Too *something* anyway. But I know that lots of things 'quilt out' so decided to go with it. I am so glad I did!

I *love* the backing. Love it. It's got almost a rainbow effect, which I hadn't anticipated. The binding, orange with tiny white dots, really sets it off.

The colors are loads of fun. That bright green and the black? Very much like my tyke's bedroom (bright green walls, white trim, black dresser and crib/toddler bed). The quilt has so many fun, bright colors that it's going to be a wall hanging in her room!

It's quilted in a grid...approximatel y 1/4" inside each letter block, both north/south and east/west, to the inside of the orange border, then one line through the middle of the larger, outer border. Used black thread on both sides. That was a hard choice. I knew it would show in the pieced back, and initially it looked a little harsh. But it was definitely the best choice.

After looking at these pictures, I'm wondering about the star placements...it was meant to be at the natural breaks in the Alphabet song (go ahead, I'll wait), but turns out three of the four stars are in a column (the fourth star is after "D" -- just can't see it in the picture). hmmmmm. Not awful, but now that I've noticed it I'm wishing it were different. *sigh*

So. What do you think? Is it a keeper?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
erinrosemary
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009 09:28:59 PM »

I like it the way it is! I think it's an awesome quilt!  Grin Totally hitting this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Just Plain Goose
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009 09:51:05 PM »

I really like this quilt a lot.  I especially like the stars to fill out the extra places in the rectangle.  All together, it's just really a nice looking quilt for a little kid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sdhrt
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009 09:51:27 PM »

Totally a keeper. It looks fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetpea74

Not now darling, mummy's sewing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009 02:24:27 AM »

It's fantastic!! Definitely a keeper!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainylakechick
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009 02:35:16 PM »

This definitely rocks!  How did you create the letters?  I'd love a little info....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnahoy
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009 02:42:14 PM »

Fantastic! Love the letters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009 08:36:05 AM »

This definitely rocks!  How did you create the letters?  I'd love a little info....

Wish I could take credit for them...they were already printed on an alphabet panel (sometimes called a 'cheater' quilt). I just cut apart the panel, and added sashing bits and novelty prints from my stash.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Fall Looks From Macy’s Glamorama Show
Ways To Wear Maxi Dresses For Fall
Five Essentials For Fall Fashions
New York Fashion Week Detail Cam: Shoes - Spring 2014
H&M Fashion Haul
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...