A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting Ripped  (Read 4316 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BellaKarma

What Goes Around-Comes Around-So Make it Beautiful

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2009 05:45:59 PM »

I started this blanket, which I affectionately call Rip Rip Hurray Ripple Afghan, two years ago. By that estimate, I've crocheted 25 rows a year. In order to remedy this slow progress, I have decided to rename the blanket to Rip Rip Hurry Ripple Afghan. I would like to utilize this afghan while Southern California still schedules in Winter ('cause we no longer have an Autumn or Spring).

I'm a cheap hooker; therefore, all the yarn is Red Heart Super Saver and Red Heart Kid Sport. Kid Sport is very slippery. I would be scared to make anything wearable for a baby with it, in fear of the child slipping from my grasp...unless, of course, you're not on Vicodin and have quicker reflexes than I do.

There are about 300 stitches across, allowing for the afghan to hang over the sides of a Full-size mattress. I can't remember the exact number...and God-forbid if I try to count 'em while I crochet at the same time. When I had to determine how many stitches I had to chain in order for the pattern to work, it was the ONLY time I ever had to use math in real life beyond the 4th grade level. I basically started with the chain amount for a scarf...then laid it down on the bed...and kept adding to it until I liked the width...then I added a few more stitches (if needed) to be the correct multiple for the pattern (pattern can be found in The Crochet Stitch Bible available on Amazon.com).

More pictures, information and cool links related to this ripple can be found on my blog post here:
http://thehappyhooker.blogspot.com/2009/05/getting-ripped.html

Thank you for looking! I'll be sure to share more pictures as it comes closer to being completed! =D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013 08:52:57 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s). » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stix on the Beach: Tales From The Happiest Hooker!
www.bellakarma.com
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009 06:01:06 PM »

I love the bright fun colors! And thanks for the tip about the kid's yarn, this mom is not on vicadin, but she does walk into walls, and carrying a sliperly baby... probably not a good thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009 06:07:14 PM »

I LOVE your afghan!
Such happy colors and it looks very cozy!
Can't wait to see more Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aquasnow

Is taking a break from swaps for a while.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009 06:07:49 PM »

I love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am taking a break from swaps for a while.  I am not accepting any personal swaps at this time until around Christmas time.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
grammar_gremlin
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009 06:25:38 PM »

Full size?!  No wonder it took a year to do 25 rows!  It looks fabulous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElvisCraftstello
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009 06:37:15 PM »

This is really cool...the colors are my favorites, and I love how you used the variegated yarn!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sushiluvzombie
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009 06:53:06 PM »

GORGEOUS! seriously. i have been itching to do a ripple blanket for a while, and seeing yours is really making my crotch fingers itch. i am so afraid mine wouldn't turn out nearly as cute as yours. can i ask? did you plan out your colors, or just kind of pick the next one at random as you went?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009 07:18:52 PM »

This is so pretty, I cannot wait for my Mum to come and visit so I can get her to teach me to Crochet, I would love love love one of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009 10:12:13 PM »

Looks good! Great colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BellaKarma

What Goes Around-Comes Around-So Make it Beautiful

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009 10:46:03 PM »

pixieval - Thanks! I walk into walls too, even without being on Vicodin.  Cheesy

pinkleo  - Thank you! Sometimes I take a break and snuggle up in it - testing it out, you know? Grin

aquasnow- Thank you!

grammar_gremlin - Ha! Thank you for saying that! Sometimes I think I must be the slowest crocheter! I guess 300+ stitches across does take some time.  Grin

ElvisCraftstello - Cool handle you've got! Thanks for the comment! I like the way the variegated colors "breaks" it.

sushiluvzombie - Thanks! Sometimes I plan two colors ahead - but usually I just play it by ear after each row. Sometimes I start with a color, and it doesn't do anything for me - and I start over. It helps to NOT cut the previous color's tail (when adding a new color), until I know I'm happy with the combination.

mink_bikini - Thank you!!! Definitely have your Mum teach you! YouTube also has some great crochet lessons if you ever need a refresher course.

Retro_Rose - Thanks!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stix on the Beach: Tales From The Happiest Hooker!
www.bellakarma.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sautéed Collard Greens Recipe
How to Make a Beautiful Bouquet of Chocolate Bacon Roses
How To Make Chili With A Chocolate Twist
How To Make A Valentine’s Day Dinner With Aphrodisiacs
Your Next 21 Meals Planned by Chef Ryan Scott
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...