A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,981
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Serger help? (Pics. for detail)  (Read 615 times)
Tags for this thread: singer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mouseatethekitty
« on: May 07, 2009 03:31:04 PM »

I bought a singer ultra lock from Walmart for Christmas.  I used it a bit over Christmas vacation and I didn't seem to have any problems with it until now.

Today I was trying to make several workshirts of my fathers sleeveless.  While I was about 4 shirts in the machine seemed to be ripping the fabric at the edge and just did weird things to the thread. I took the shirt off and tried sewing on some scrap fabric and the machine made a loud unfamiliar noise when I began to sew again.
Then it just stopped all together. Instead of making a "chain" of thread when I pressed the foot the threads were just straight and the thread didn't make a chain together at all.

I looked inside of the machine and saw that several of the threads had come undone or snapped so I tried re threading it according to the crappy instructions on the side of the machine. (I can't find my serger instructions manual anywhere. I know I saved the book but it has completely gone MIA)

Now my machine makes chains but they are strange. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or maybe I was sewing it completely wrong in the first place. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Or should I try to find someplace that deals with Singer machines? I don't want to have wasted $200 you know? I don't really have anyone to ask for help because I'm the only person that really sews and this is the first time ever using a this Singer my life and I could be completely doing it wrong. I have not idea. I never had this many problems with just my regular sewing machine.

Here are some images of the machine threaded, I hope they make sense to your eyes.

This is what the chain looks like.

This is what it looks like on the fabric

A less fuzzy close up. The threads weren't so square looking on the ends before I started having problems. I don't know how to explain it.

I think I found an example of what I mean. If you look at this piece of fabric the diagonal line with the tight threads is what it was doing right before it made the scary noise. Then the horizontal edge is what the thread was doing to the fabric after. You can see that it's really different looking. 

Any help would be really really appreciated. Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009 03:32:11 PM by mouseatethekitty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009 07:31:29 PM »

Ok I have the same serger and can see from the piccy what the problem is, now the trick is to explain it through typing!!

Basically before your Orange coded thread comes up vertically it needs to go behind the horizontal piece which has a little notch cut into it, then it is ok to go along and up to be threaded (where it is now) there is a picture on the inside flap of the Serger and it really is tricky so I would suggest getting someone to hold a torch and getting a pair of tweezers to do it, it is a pain in the butt but that is what's wrong.

I hope I have managed to make some sense to you and feel free to PM me if I can help any more.

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

panda
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009 08:49:40 PM »

I found if you put on different colors it will also help adjust tenison, then you can change back to the all white.

There are needle threader for sergers:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2863&PRODID=prd34598
this will help get in those tight places.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009 07:13:28 AM »

The tool panda link to really is helpful. If your local fabric shop doesn't have them you can use Dental Floss Threaders that can be found at most any store that sells toothpaste. Actuallt I prefer the dental floss threaders because they don't have that little square handle that the "official" tool has - it can get in the way sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009 07:15:15 AM »

Thank you! I'll have to try these things out, especially the threaders because I was trying to use tweezers and it just wasn't working.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Milk Cult Is Taking the Ice Cream Sandwich to the Next Level
Apple and Ginger Cake Recipe
How to Make a Red-White-and-Blue Gelatin Flag
4th of July Flag Cake: Barefoot Contessa Recipe
Lemon and Raspberry Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...