A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
795 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for a Job in the Fashion Industry  (Read 433 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugarpumpkin
« on: May 07, 2009 01:48:30 PM »

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong board.

I was recently laid off from a job that I LOVED! I worked in the buying office for Women's Shoes for a well-known Dept. Store.

I thought I had finally found my career. I loved going into work everyday!

This now leaves me with finding a new job, and I dont want to get just any old job, I want another job that I will love and will possibly be my life-long career.

I went to college for Fashion Design & Techniques. I am able to design, sketch, draft patterns, sew, etc.

I really want to find something in the fashion industry, but of course, that is proving impossible. I dont have the means to start up my own thing (which of course I would love to do).

I would also love working for a fashion magazine or online blog about fashion, etc.

If you have any advise or ideas, that would be greatly appreciated! I've tried cold calling, replying to job postings, etc.

Please Please Please help me!

btw...CRAFTSTER ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sequins-and-stripes.blogspot.com

Today, today its all or nothing, all the way, my praise goes out to you, yah all my praise goes out to you.
Today, Today I live for one thing, to give you praise in everything I do, yah all my praise goes out to you!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009 05:39:46 AM »

There's one thing from your list you can do immediately and that's start your own fashion blog. If you've got the know-how in fashion, this could be one way to boost your expertise factor and maybe make you more attractive to your target employers; obviously it takes time to build up traffic, so the sooner you start the better.

Finding a job these days is a challenge for everyone, never mind the fashion part.

On the other hand, with the economy the way it is, people are very into saving money. Will sewing clothes come back into fashion (now there's a pun)? You might consider giving classes and throw a bit of fashion expertise into the mix. There are lots of places you could have a class; fabric stores, community centers and ed...places like this do their own advertising, so you wouldn't necessarily have to spend a lot of money bringing people in.

At the very least you can keep in touch with the things you love while you continue to look for your dream job. Sometimes that can be enough to keep you at  less-than-stellar employment, knowing you have fun stuff to beyond that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarpumpkin
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009 01:14:05 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply.
The ideas you gave were very helpful and very inspiring!

Maybe I will start a fashion blog! I have alots of opinions on couture and designers haha

I really appreciate your reply!
Again, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sequins-and-stripes.blogspot.com

Today, today its all or nothing, all the way, my praise goes out to you, yah all my praise goes out to you.
Today, Today I live for one thing, to give you praise in everything I do, yah all my praise goes out to you!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Rock The Sheer Runway Look
Sarah Jessica Parker Mixes Prints Like a Pro With Checks and Polka Dots
Street Chic: Winter 2013 London Fashion Trends
Oscar Party Fashion: Jennifer Lawrence and Nina Dobrev Celebrate in Style
2013 Oscars Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...