A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: where should boning end on wiggle dress?  (Read 488 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Juniper_Ann
« on: May 07, 2009 11:51:20 AM »

I'm making a strapless "wiggle dress".  It currently has a rather prominent horizontal wrinkle at the back waist.  It's not riding up due to the butt being too small.  I think it's "riding down" because it's rather tight on the chest...but I think it needs to be somewhat tight there to support me and not gap.  I think I can fix the wrinkle with boning, but where should the boning end so that it doesn't dig in excessively, draw attention to where it ends with wrinkles or other visible signs, or restrict my movement too much?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009 03:57:18 PM »

I think it should end about where a low rise pair of pants sit. The back may actually be too long. I tend to have this problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009 05:04:55 PM »

Ya, sounds like the torso may be a smidgeon long. Boning will help for sure, and I agree with Thesingingllamas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissRachel
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009 05:23:56 PM »

Have you thought about adjusting the pattern? I've found that I can eliminate that horizontal fabric bunching by taking the waist in. It's much easier than adding boning into the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juniper_Ann
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009 02:38:19 PM »

It's a princess-seam dress with no horizontal seam at the waist, and it has plenty of ease everywhere below the wrinkle.  Also, the the waist is very snug.  However, I think the wrinkle may (at least in part) indicate fitting issues--namely, not quite enough room for my shoulder blades.  I'll ask my mom to help fix the fit, and then bone according to thesingingllama's suggestions.

Thanks, everyone! 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009 02:38:53 PM by Juniper_Ann » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009 05:32:21 PM »

Hmm. I get extra fabric in the front because I have square shoulders, but I didn't think about it causing my wrinkle in the back until now. If your mom is helping fit you, try ripping out the shoulder seams and smoothing from the waist up.
Personally, I have an athletic build with square shoulders, a small bust, and athletic thighs with a small waist. I always seem to have fitting problems. I originally thought the extra fabric in the front was caused by my small bust, but I stuffed a bra up to the b that is standard and it still had extra fabric, which is when I discovered I had square shoulders.
You might have to redraw the shoulder seam and neckline, but it might be your problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Tips for Operating a Monster Puppet
How to Make Plant Markers Out of Spoons
Capri Style Table Decoration
How to Dress Your Table with Bread and Nuts
Center of the Table Decoration
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...