A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted pictures - knitted self portrait and distorted cow skull  (Read 646 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ludicrouslouisa
« on: May 06, 2009 10:53:32 PM »

Yeah..so I've recently learned Fair Isle, and being me (far more of a visual artist than a textile one) I wanted to knit more than just patterns. I realise intarsia is far better for knitting pictures than Fair Isle but I can't do it yet so....

The first picture I did was a cow skull but it's kind of hard to see..oh well.

It's about 10.5cm by 13cm, it just took me a couple of hours (including drawing and gridding the image), I was practicing because I intended to do....

A KNITTED SELF PORTRAIT!
In my figure and life class at uni we had to do self portraits. naturally everyone chose to draw theirs..but I decided to knit it...I food colouring dyed heaps of rainbow colours of wool and sorted them into values.
Now I had to do a small one because I only had about 3 hrs and 45 minutes, from drawing my face from a mirror and gridding it (took 15 mins) to the final casting off.

Just in case you can't make it out, the picture is me leaning over a mirror, my scarf is covering my mouth. I knitted from the top down, turning the chart upside down (cause I wasn't sure if I'd have time to do the scarf too)
The image is blue = darkest value, red = dark mid, yellow = light mid, white = lightest tone. I sorted my wool into those values too.

Yes!  It's knitted using fairisle, but I did the fair isle pretty badly so the gods of Fair Isle would be down on me like a ton of bricks.. (hence the general warpingness of the image..)

The colour variations are because I'd pick a light tone, a dark tone, mid and light mid, and I'd change colours whenever I ran out of that colour/OR I got bored of it. I had heaps of that pale apple green but I got sick of it after a while. I also couldn't be bothered knitting the scarf hence the brown and blue bands at the bottom.
My art teacher actually liked the combobulatedness of it, the way it was "breaking away from the original regimented grid" (or something, who knows what art teachers mean, I mean as an art student I know that they just make it up. We all do.)

(Recycled food colouring dyed yarn..not sure what ply..um..8 ply? 4mm needles, it distorts a bit but roughly it's about 11.5cm wide by 18.5cm)

So yes, hopefully you like. When I have more time I'll probably do a bigger picture. This was really quite theraputic though, and it takes much less time than embroidering an image (which is what someone suggested I do instead.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009 10:57:47 PM by ludicrouslouisa » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ryana
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009 04:11:10 AM »

That is really cool!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grammar_gremlin
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009 04:21:03 AM »

Kudos to you for doing something different for your self portrait!  I think it came out really cool, and I'm amazed that you pulled it off in such a short time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009 06:35:50 AM »

Wow, that self protrait is great! I love the colors, and the style. What a great project! Maybe if you block it several times, the wool will sort of get into the shape you want.
If not, would a round form work? Like, a bottle cozy style? You absolutely have to display this piece, it's fabulous!

And please give some clues about where to find the skull, I'd really like to see it, but I can't Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ludicrouslouisa
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009 02:58:19 PM »

I can draw over thee skull..but at the moment I can't be bothered..so basically..well..at the top..those are horns, moving down the first large dark area is the eye socket, the funny squarish sticking out bit at the bottom is the teeth, the dark area near there is the nasal cavity..
Since I made the background the same as the lightest tone (big mistake!) then it's a bit..sketchy. Oh well, it was only a practice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Momofuku Culinary Lab Creates Flavor Explosion
How to Make a 90 Second Thai Chicken Pizza
Easy Chicken Curry Recipe
How to Prepare Homemade Lo Mein
Korean BBQ Braised Oxtails Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...