A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you wash embroidered fabric?  (Read 3737 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2009 08:49:32 PM »

I'm brand spankin' new to embroidery (just took a class last night) and I have a question. Can you wash hand embroidered fabric (tea towels, napkins, jeans)? If so, what do you do to keep the thread from unraveling?  Do you have to wash by hand or can things go in the washing machine?

Thanks for any input!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
akachan
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009 03:47:14 AM »

I toss things in the wash ALL the time. Dish towels...giver! Things aren't going to unravel, if done properly.(I have a linen tea towel that is ancient, I have put it in hot water and bleach, the stitching is still going strong, the linen, not so much  Cheesy) I mean you have your thread ends stitched under securely .Or knotted....depending on what you're doing and preference. I wouldn't toss something that was embroidered with silk in the wash (obviously). I made my BF some Tees for xmas and they're still perfect, look a bit wrinkly at first and not as shiny as they were.
If in doubt, hand wash. Use a mild detergent (I use baby detergent).

Hope I helped and not confused.( It's early in the morn and I am caffeine deprived)  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilyvanilli
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009 09:41:23 AM »

I always make sure to wash whatever fabric I'm using before I start stitching so it's pre-shrunk. Then when I'm done, if it's a project I've spent a lot of time on, I wash it by hand in the sink and then dry it on the line outside - just to be safe, even though they should be totally fine to be washed in the machines.

Embroidery doesn't come out easily. I've had towels, bags, and shirts last for years even though they go through the wash all the time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009 12:34:18 PM »

ditto, i just throw everything in the washer and dryer and everything comes out fine.  nothing has unraveled and i don't even knot the ends of my threads, i just weave the ends in, and everything is fine.

i always always always prewash fabrics/towels/pillowcases/napkins, etc.... that i plan to embroider on in warm water and dry on high heat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beelisty
bitchin' stitcher

* <3 *

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009 02:52:55 PM »

I always make sure to wash whatever fabric I'm using before I start stitching so it's pre-shrunk. Then when I'm done, if it's a project I've spent a lot of time on, I wash it by hand in the sink and then dry it on the line outside - just to be safe, even though they should be totally fine to be washed in the machines.

Embroidery doesn't come out easily. I've had towels, bags, and shirts last for years even though they go through the wash all the time. 

this.  pre wash, and be careful to knot up well when you're stitching.  i machine wash things all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make my portrait patterns using PC Stitch.

let me listen to me & not to them.--gertrude stein

gallery: http://www.beelisty.com
blog: http://beelisty.wodpress.com
group blog: http://queercraft.wordpress.com
shop: http://epeolatry.etsy.com
sonjabegonia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009 12:15:00 PM »

I also machine-wash hand-embroidered items all the time with no problems.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twitter - @snelsonchi
SkyyAngel
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009 10:36:00 AM »

I'm not much of a washer person. If I have to (accidentally stained or obviously dirtied) then I'll spot clean or hand-wash with gentle soap (clear colors only, no optical brighteners) and air dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009 01:44:24 PM »

I'm with what most of the others said!

1.  I pre-wash my fabric according to maker's instructions before stitching if I'm  transferring the pattern on to it myself. (You can't do that to pre-stamped kit fabric, the stamping will wash off)

2.  I Keep my piece as clean as possible while I work on it. I keep mine in zip-loc bags to keep my feline masters off of it!

4. When finished, I usually machine wash in cold water on delicate cycle with wool wash or shampoo.  Smaller pieces I lay flat to dry in an old towel or I line dry them outdoors.

5. I press out any wrinkles carefully with a medium iron with lots of steam action!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sarah Jessica Parker Mixes Prints Like a Pro With Checks and Polka Dots
Street Chic: Winter 2013 London Fashion Trends
Oscar Party Fashion: Jennifer Lawrence and Nina Dobrev Celebrate in Style
2013 Oscars Fashion
Star Crush: Chic, Stylish, Effortless Charlize Theron
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...