A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some "goth" doodles (mucho images)  (Read 1407 times)
Tags for this thread: vampire  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2009 02:55:31 AM »

Wow, this is my first post in a long time. I finally got a digital camera about 2 or 3 weeks ago, so now I can actually post stuff more often! Yay!

So a few months ago I had a class project to design a calendar for a book club, so my concept was to do a calendar for a "book of the year". I came up with a fictitious "gothic" children's book as the book of the year. I'll start a new topic to show what I did for the calendar, but in this topic, I'll show some old doodles and show off my "roots". I pride myself in having different styles in everything I do, from having different tastes in clothes, music, and even drawing styles.

Gothic is one of my styles, and as you can see, even that style has different styles in it, from Western to Japanese influenced. But the problem with having different styles (for me at least) is that I can't summon the right one when I want to.

These were done when I was in the 10th grade. Not to date myself, but that was 4 years ago. Where has the time gone???

Note: I am not inspired by Tim Burton. At the time I did these, I believe Corpse Bride came out, and I saw it and I liked it a bit but not much. It might have influenced me, possibly, to draw in an elegantly macabre style, but I've been interested in dark but beautiful things long before seeing Corpse Bride.

Also, I'd never seen The Nightmare Before Christmas, except for a few minutes of it when it was on t.v., when I did these. I'd only actually seen it a few months ago when I did the calendar project. I actually bought it to influence me on purpose, since I'd been rusty with the gothic style. Yes, when I did the gothic children's calendar, the last time I did anything like it was these doodles from the 10th grade! Anyways, enough babbling. Onto the doodles! (I don't have a scanner, so I took these with my camera, which came out dark, so I did a quick and bad editing job to present them here).

Not much to say here. I like her, but the hair doesn't seem natural. Looks a bit like dreadlocks. For some reason, I think of bugs when I look at her. I think it might be the eyes.

I've gotten older and a bit more experienced, so looking back at my work, I can notice goofy amateur errors. The house behind the girl shouldn't be so close to the gate! No house has gates right in front like that. Roll Eyes

I don't read it, but I stumbled onto Squee a few years ago exploring the Internet, so I drew this with that image in mind, but it's not Squee. My local Borders does have a Squee graphic novel and I picked it up and read a bit of it a month ago to see what the hubbab was about. It was okay, but the writer/artist Jhonen Vasquez curses too much. I much prefer Invader Zim.

These three characters in frames were just random characters that I came up with for no real reason, though they look like I've spent time on them! I think I should do something with them, like a comic. I believe I've drawn them once or twice more because I liked them. Just by looking at them, they have such personality to them that I can imagine stories with them.

This girl is holding a lunchbox with Japanese katakana characters that phonetically sound out "PUFFY" which is this music duo I just adore. When I think goth, I think PUFFY! [/sarcasm]

I think I was going for a count with this.

I was going for a 1920's flappergirl socialite thing, but ended up mixing it with a gothic Victorian element. She's supposed to be smoking and flicking off the ashes, but I forgot to draw the holder, or I did and drew it wrong. I looks like she's got a sterotypical wand and is performing magic. Sucking is a lot of fun.

Awwww, baby! The diaper on the left leg side should curve with the leg. The right toe is too big and looks out of place compared the the rest on that foot. The left hand's index finger looks like a thumb!

The hat does not fit the head at all... Embarrassed

Sometimes I doodle several things on one page, so here you can see a girl's forehead on the man's elbow. I erased the rest of the girl for this presentation but could not erase what overlaps the elbow. I don't know if the hand is right or not (but it is the right hand Grin).

You can see the doll's left arm bottom seam, which means the arm is tilted, which was not my intent. I meant to draw the top seam for the left arm and so it looks awkward.

A ballerina dancing on a tombstone. I don't know what I was thinking, okay? The girl looks like Amy Lee, which is weird because I don't like Evanescence. They're okay, but overrated for no good reason. They have a "gothic" image, but Amy's lyrics are contemporary, present day stuff. I don't get it. Like the video for Call Me When You're Sober, she's vampire-like with minions, but the song's about the guy getting drunk...? But that song didn't come out when I drew this, but my point's the same. (Side note: I saw Tarja in concert in NYC last week, and they actually played Bring Me to Life while we were waiting in front of the stage. What an insult! People compare Evanescence to Nightwish and vice versa and that was just insulting to Tarja! I don't think she picks these songs, because they also played Bjork's Army of Me while we waited, which is a good song but isn't anything like Tarja.) The arms are too long, and I think the left side of her chest sticks out too much.

A girl influenced by the style of Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi. The hairstyle is even one that Yumi Yoshimura had in 2004. It's hard to see, but that's a rose on her shirt.

A bit out of place; a nerdy/punk boy. Also influenced by Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi with the hands. The right hand pinky it too big.

Comments and critiques welcome (although I think I took care of most of the critiques)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
paxilsmile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009 06:24:39 AM »

Help me out...
Are you in a band too?  Those drawings are sooo cool.  Please, keep doing them.  I know I am old and have 2 kids around your age.  You are still young.  Keep your eyes open to everything around you and you will find new ways to draw your goth people and animals... Smiley

paxilsmile
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009 06:35:24 AM »

oh these are fantastic Smiley and yep you did take care of most of the critique XD but regardless, i love how stylized they are
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009 03:27:22 PM »

I really enjoyed looking at these drawings, you should start doodling, as you call them, again.

I would just like to point out, that just because characters cuss a lot, doesn't mean Jhonen Vasquez does. If you read a book, you'll notice that the author has different characters, as such, they have different personalities. Maybe Vasquez wanted Johnny and any other characters to act like angsty teenagers? I haven't read Squee or JtHM for quite a while since I lost the comics when I moved last, so I can't remember.
and sorry, it's just a sore spot for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUFFYsanjo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009 01:07:00 PM »

I would just like to point out, that just because characters cuss a lot, doesn't mean Jhonen Vasquez does. If you read a book, you'll notice that the author has different characters, as such, they have different personalities. Maybe Vasquez wanted Johnny and any other characters to act like angsty teenagers? I haven't read Squee or JtHM for quite a while since I lost the comics when I moved last, so I can't remember.
and sorry, it's just a sore spot for me.

Haha, sorry about that. That's a good point. Thanks for telling me that. Like I said, I thought Squee was funny; there was this part at the end of the comic where Jhonen parodied kids' toy commercials that was a nice satire that I really enjoyed. Though I think his art is sometimes hard to look at and hard to distinguish some things, so I'm not sure if I could get into it. So yes, I don't know I Jhonen swears much or not, but he seems like a cool down-to-earth guy.

Oh, and in general, I'm not a goth kid, if these drawings make it seem like I am. I just have an apprecation for the dark and lovely. And I use the term "goth" very loosely, too. There are so many things that can be thought of when one hears the word goth. I do not like mall goths who hang around the mall everyday with black bondage pants and who listen to Good Charlotte. That's not what I mean when I use the word goth.

Maybe I should make up a new word for what my drawings are. I'll call it "mookitty".

I hope people enjoy my mookitty drawings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
PUFFYsanjo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009 01:12:39 PM »

Help me out...
Are you in a band too?

No, I am not. I do not play any instruments and I can't sing. What made you think I was in a band?

Those drawings are sooo cool.  Please, keep doing them.  I know I am old and have 2 kids around your age.  You are still young.  Keep your eyes open to everything around you and you will find new ways to draw your goth people and animals... Smiley

Thank you for those sage words. It really inspires me and helps me when I hear such things. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinoni
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010 08:23:32 PM »

mookitty!
not
baapuppy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PUFFYsanjo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010 01:45:00 PM »

mookitty!
not
baapuppy?

No, sorry, it's mookitty. Goths like cows and cats.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinoni
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010 02:00:53 PM »

Sad
pretty drawings. I can only draw anime/ manga characters well, and my doggy! you are talented.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PUFFYsanjo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010 03:39:37 PM »

Sad
pretty drawings. I can only draw anime/ manga characters well, and my doggy! you are talented.

Thank you! Practice, practice, practice! I'm drawing more realistic people these days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Twitter to Exercise Creative Writing Skills
Round About the Earth Book Trailer
Kevin Burrows and Lawrence Schlossman Discuss Their Book
Biggest Surprise You Came Across?
Modern Rites Of Passage
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...