A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From XXL to OMG: 10 minute to alter/resize button down shirts tutorial #1  (Read 12147 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HellaCaj
Caj as in Casual

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2009 02:27:14 AM »

Lately, I have been practicing because thrifty stores have a plethora of men's or old lady clothes that can be put to greater use using this quick method. With a stronger stitch this shirt could hold up better than the low quality overpriced shirts at big name retail.

Here's how the oversized shirt fit on me...

The blue shirt is 2x men's and was about 29 inches across. Bulky, huh?

Difficulty: Easy

First turn the blue shirt inside out and lay a formfitting button down shirt on top.

In this case the formfitting template is white. Add straight pins to shoulders, underarms and bottom. This is only to secure the shirts so they doesn't move while cutting. For more security, add an additional pin to the middle of the shirt.

Second, trace the outline of the template (white shirt)onto the blue and pin the blue shirt every 4 inches or as needed. Unpin the template so you can work on the sleeves.

Third, measure yourself like below. I was 15 inches round and I added an inch for slack.

Now I know from shoulder to pit is 16 around. Divide that by 2 and mark 8 inches like below. Use same method to measure middle of sleeve/forearm and wrist on both arms.

Now that you're all pinned up, try it on inside out and do a short exercise routine so you can adjust as needed. If it's pulling too much in one spot when you sit or stretch, give extra slack.

Fourth: give about .5-1 inch allowance when you cut it out. I didn't and you will see below what happens if you don't. It's easiest to start in the middle when you begin cutting but I started under the arm because I wanted to reuse the scrap.

Tip: when shopping for shirts, pay attention to the pattern. Good quality striped or plaid button down shirts can be folded in half and the pattern will be equally matched on both sides. Use this as a cutting guide.

Lastly, sew on your trace line, then try it on.

Here it the after

Here's a good view of the back. This is what happens when you cut too much armpit away.

Because my breasts are larger, it doesn't look like it gives in the back but i did my exercise routine and no rips or tears lol so it's extremely comfy and looks dynamite from the front.

The edges are still raw and it a little snug at the waist because I wear belts. I will add two finished slits with 2 minutes to spare on this project hehehe. When fall comes around, I will make it more pear shaped. It's too hot to not leave a little slack.

You will run into some kinks afterward. You may feel like the yolk is too wide.or the collar or cuffs are too large or floppy. I will show how to detail a button down shirt painlessly in the next tute. Btw, I like the collar size but the cuff is awkward because the yolk is too long, resulting in bunching at the cuff. I will be sewing 2 inches of cuff bunch shut.

Version #2 coming soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join me at ISS Schaumburg in August. ISS covers embroidery, screen printing, sublimation and direct-to-garment printing and offers hands on classes. 30 minute drive from my place. Pajama party, my house!
Pamcake1323
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009 04:21:30 AM »

I like your transformation & Your easy to follow tut!
Great Job =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pops

this kittens' nose demands kisses...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009 11:01:42 AM »

ooh credit crunching goodness! nice & simple, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009 02:08:53 PM »

This is what happens when you cut too much armpit away.

VERY informative. Really good tute!

Just to add -- if one cuts too much armpit away, you can add a gussett under the armpit --just a shape like this <> or this ( ). Use some fabric you cut away from the sides.

Learn from my mistakes!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
owl lady
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009 06:48:28 PM »

Thanks for the tute! It's very useful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009 10:25:19 PM »

great idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Painted Umbrellas
DIY: Turning Flowers Into Beautiful Works Of Art
DIY Easter Baskets with Dian Thomas
DIY Statement Necklace with P.S. I Made This
How to Make a DIY Chalkboard
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...