A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,849
Currently Running With Scissors:
727 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dartmoor Scarf - Now With Grid on Page 2  (Read 3993 times)
Tags for this thread: sherlock_holmes , dartmoor , scarf , double_knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

milksmom
« on: May 05, 2009 07:31:19 PM »

Made this a while ago and never got around to posting it. (Where does the time go?)This scarf came out of a contest to pick a literary figure and what they would knit. I picked Sherlock Holmes and thus was born the Dartmoor Scarf using (what else?) a hounds-tooth pattern. The scarf is 5" wide and roughly 60" long.

This is double knitted so both sides are done at the same time. The idea of double knitting was easy to understand, it was harder wrapping my head around the execution of said double knitting. It's definitely not for the faint of heart or anyone who wants instant gratification. The scarf is wonderfully warm, because the double knitting creates pockets that hold air and the yarn is an absolutely yummy alpaca/silk blend.

Link to post with chart here.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014 09:47:29 AM by kittykill - Reason: thumbnail for broken image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009 08:28:14 PM »

This looks so wonderfully comfortable. Is double knitting done in the round? I'm having problems wrapping my mind around it already. :p Anyway, your work is beautiful, I love the color and the yarn is nice and shiny looking
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HellaCaj
Caj as in Casual

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009 02:01:45 AM »

I love love love the pseudo houndstooth and I want to pick up knitting. Where do I begin?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join me at ISS Schaumburg in August. ISS covers embroidery, screen printing, sublimation and direct-to-garment printing and offers hands on classes. 30 minute drive from my place. Pajama party, my house!
ryana
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009 04:26:07 AM »

Really cute! I love houndstooth.  And to the person above me who likes it too and wants to pick up knitting, it's a pain but not as hard as you might think.  Learn to knit, purl, and use circular needles and you're all set. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TAOJ

eating my strawberries

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009 06:56:33 AM »

This is gorgeous, you did a beautiful job on it! and kudos for doing it in double knitting, I don't know that I would have the patience  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puppybreath

everything we do, is just everything we've done

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009 06:44:26 PM »

This is so handsomly gorgeous. I love everything about it, from the colors, to the pattern, to the double knittedness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sonjabegonia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009 12:20:21 PM »

I love this.  I haven't tried double knitting yet, but after seeing this, I'm reminded that I really need to try it.  (maybe in an easier pattern than yours for the first go-around!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy - www.etsy.com/shop/OCCASIONsonjabegonia

Facebook  - www.facebook.com/occasionsbysonjabegonia

Tumblr - sonjabegoniach.tumblr.com
scabsitch
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009 09:33:07 PM »

ah!! so beautiful!! and i applaud your patience like no other!! double knitting drives me bonkers, the last thing i tried to double-knit ended up getting ripped out and turned into an afghan because it was taking too long!!! bravo for your ability to stick it out, because thats an incredible scarf, and the colors really are great together. alpaca too! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
milksmom
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009 07:47:51 PM »

Oh my! Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments!  Embarrassed

For the record, I don't have a lot of patience, I just kept at it. And this is my first (and so far only) double knitting project. So don't be put off trying a pattern. I've got a chart of the houndstooth that I did in Excel, if that would help.

Double knitting isn't done in the round, you use two straight needles. However, it is essentially a fabric in the round, sort of. If you used double knitting and made each side a different color, you'd have a "pocket".

Alpaca blend yarns are noticeably warmer when worn and luxurious to knit with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gurchroot
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010 09:48:18 PM »

aw, i just learned how to double knit I am so duing this! I just need to get more color. Thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn How To Draw Betty Boop
How To Draw The Moon
How To Draw A Cartoon Alien
How To Draw Saturn
How To Draw Cartoon Monsters
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...