A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cure for Hole-y Jeans  (Read 1171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GiddyUpMunky

Double stuffed baby!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 05, 2009 03:44:05 PM »

I have this pair of jeans that I absolutely love and wear waaay too often. They fit me perfectly and make my butt look cute. Unfortunately, since I wear them so often, they're getting kind of worn out in the booty area. I was just wondering if any of the crafting geniuses here on crafster knew of a way I could fix them so I could still wear them. Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

julieboolie

turtle, turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009 05:05:28 PM »

I've gotten rid of so many favorite jeans for this reason.
I would of never thought of asking craftster.

I wanna know too, please ! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield"

Wists | Pinterest | Ravelry
geek_goddess
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009 05:36:24 PM »

Iron-on fabric patches are available at most sewing and department stores, if you pick one in a matching color and iron it on the inside of the frayed part it acts like interfacing for it and is not visible from the outside.
It does fall off with a ton of washer/dryer cycles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doyouloveanapple
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009 06:25:14 PM »

What I do when this happens is put a patch from old jeans on the inside (if it's big with interfacing if it's small like that just with the stitches I'm about to explain next). That way when they wear again it's the new jean patch wearing. Then I take a very similar thread and essentially darn a patch over the threadbear parts. Really small stitches looping over the holes, making sure that the frayed bits are on the inside of the stitches.

Did that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.etsy.com
julieboolie

turtle, turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009 06:28:07 PM »

Iron-on fabric patches are available at most sewing and department stores, if you pick one in a matching color and iron it on the inside of the frayed part it acts like interfacing for it and is not visible from the outside.
It does fall off with a ton of washer/dryer cycles.

I always thought those iron on patches were so ugly..
It makes sense that you would iron those on the inside.
Derrr Julie. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield"

Wists | Pinterest | Ravelry
Sofiushka
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009 06:43:08 PM »

I usually put a patch of scrap denim on the inside with a bit of iron-on interfacing and then sew long zig-zags perpendicular to the thread on the tear. I holds up pretty well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewwhut

Love Love Love :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009 06:45:46 PM »

my boyfriends pants do this and he is very picky about how they fit. i take a dark blue jersey knit, and set it in on the inside then go over the little strings from the denim ripping over and over and over so it gets that kind of store bought "distressed" jeans look. hope that made sense!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HellaCaj
Caj as in Casual

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009 11:50:42 PM »

Mine's do the same in the thighs. An iron on patch on the inside is unnoticeable on my dark denim. Or you could just ask a seamstress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join me at ISS Schaumburg in August. ISS covers embroidery, screen printing, sublimation and direct-to-garment printing and offers hands on classes. 30 minute drive from my place. Pajama party, my house!
Alexus1325
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009 04:16:03 PM »

Hehe, well, you could get crazy and do what I did. When one of my oldest pairs gave up the ghost in the knees, I darned the wounds together then hand-appliqued patches in cute fabrics over top. One big horizontal rip is just double-darned with two colours of embroidery floss.

Seeing as how your jeans are dying in the underparts, I don't know how feasible my method would be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanderingskopos
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009 08:24:22 AM »

My sister always machine-darns her jeans after this happens to them Grin

Basically, when they've started to wear through at the inseam like yours did, she just takes mom's sewing machine and sews a wide-ish zigzag stitch in a couple of layers all over the worn bit. It's a little like doing freehand machine embroidery.

It works really well because the sewing thread's nylon and harder wearing than normal jeans. If it wears through again later, she adds more zigzag. It doesn't even show because it's in the inseam, especially if you match the thread colour to the jeans (white thread is actually OK for worn jeans). Only reason I don't do this is that my jeans get holes in the butt or on the knees and not in the inseam, so any patch job would be really obvious Sad

The patch idea is great for bigger holes, but for the inseam it might be better for comfort to use a thin but strong fabric rather than thick jean or jersey!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Mario Paint Composer
How to Make Your Own Custom Brushes in Gimp
How to Add Gradient Effect To Text in Gimp
How to Make Feather Borders
How to Make a Text Glow Effect
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...