A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone up for a garb-along? SCA, Rennie, LARP, costume geeks?  (Read 6133 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ozarkcat
« on: May 05, 2009 12:39:49 PM »

So, Lilies War in Calontir is about a month away . . . . I've probably got enough garb for the whole family for one weekend, and we'll be there 10 days . . . . Time for a costuming marathon - anyone up for one?

I've at least got it in mind to make myself some new Indian garb - lengha, choli & dupatta (sp?), probably some new Rom, and at least one nice Tudor dress for court. Eric needs caftans, shirts & breeches/baggy bedouins/pants, and Lisette - well, she needs almost everything and to not grow a foot between now & then Wink It's such FUN doing garb for 4-year-olds on occasion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cathi

We do personal swaps:
Handmade soaps, candles, fiber art, and more:
http://mistymanormercers.com/
Ariaste
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009 11:41:42 AM »

Hey! Lilies War! High five Cheesy This will be my first Lilies, as I came to Calontir for college. :3 I have several projects that I need to do by then... Finish my pavilion, resize (larger) a sorquenie, resize (smaller) a cotehardie, whip out four or five t-tunics and chitens, and probably make a good sized bag, as well as paint my new scribe box.

Also, figure out what I want to make with five yards of white silk. Ideas?

(Too much to do! Will I get it all done in time? Oh noes~)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009 11:56:14 AM by Ariaste » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymnotte
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009 08:53:15 AM »

Aw, I would totally be up for this! I've got stuff I put down that needs to be finished. A tunic for him and a cotehardie for me. But I think it's all in storage Sad I'm moving and probably won't be able to drag it out until mid June.

For your white silk I could totally picture a skirt front elaborately embroidered, if your into that.  Or a head covering of some kind, but you have too much yardage for that maybe.

So many pretty things, Never! enough time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ozarkcat
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009 03:52:39 PM »

Hey! Lilies War! High five Cheesy This will be my first Lilies, as I came to Calontir for college. :3 I have several projects that I need to do by then... Finish my pavilion, resize (larger) a sorquenie, resize (smaller) a cotehardie, whip out four or five t-tunics and chitens, and probably make a good sized bag, as well as paint my new scribe box.

Also, figure out what I want to make with five yards of white silk. Ideas?
Gah, and this is what happens when I forget that I've posted a thread!! This is also our first Lilies, but we've done Gulf & Pennsic in the past, so it's hopefully not too bad. I've gotten a bunch of stuff cut out, but not sewn yet. I'm in the process of ordering the canvas for our yurt/ger, which is fortunately easy sewing (all straight seams, no cutting except to length), plus need to make a cover for our merchanting pavillion - EZ-ups just don't quite fit the feel of the event Wink I suspect I'm going to be a seriously sewing wench between now & war. You're a scribe??!! Me too! If you get a chance, look us up while you're there - we'll be in the New Market, The Misty Manor, with soaps & candles, fibery stuff, etc., and have banners to match the logos on our website (below).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cathi

We do personal swaps:
embercostumer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009 10:25:57 PM »

This sounds cool--my brother just made three chain mail shirts for me, him, and our brother and now I have to make all the stuff to go under and over them! We're doing Narnia Costumes by the way, inspired by the Prince Caspian movie, but since they are an immense amount of work (leatherwork, chain mail, tunics and embroidery etc) we're going to wear them for LARPing and Renfair also! I've never done a sew-along on here (I'm actually pretty new to craftster) but this would be the one out of all of them I would do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.c om
Bakaness
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009 05:17:07 AM »

I'm in Lochac, but I'd love to be in a garb-along. I've been wanting Indian garb for *ages*, and I'd like to finish some basic garb (nice tunics, cotehardies, and the like) before moving onto more tricky stuff. There's a Tudor dress (middle-class, I think) that I've fallen in love with, but I'm no-where near skilled enough to make it yet. It'd be good to have a bit of extra moral support for sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ozarkcat
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009 11:29:42 AM »

Sounds cool! Indian is not terribly difficult, a choli is the most interesting part, but can be done easily if you (DO NOT PANIC!!) make your own pattern - we do ours by doing a duct-tape wrap with an old tee-shirt on, then cut off & use to make your pattern pieces (I can go into further detail if it's needed). Here are some pictures of what I got done for Lisette just before Lilies:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cathi

We do personal swaps:
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009 04:31:45 PM »

I'm intrigued Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
scaramouche

Whedonist in heart and soul!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009 01:56:41 PM »

Are you still going along with this. I'd love to join. I'm in a desperate need of some T-tunics, peasants skirts/blouses/cinchers, black base clothing, a new London hood/capelet. And I have to finish two more regency style dresses this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ozarkcat
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009 06:53:47 PM »

Sure! I've still got to finish all the stuff I didn't get done in time for Lilies, after all  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cathi

We do personal swaps:
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Monster Salt Crystals
How to Make Homemade Snow Globes
Snow Day Crafts for Kids
Arianna Huffington: Running for Governor
Arianna Huffington: 37 Rejections
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...