A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swap Requirement Suggestion  (Read 2335 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mcook72677
I fink you freeky

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 05, 2009 08:11:13 AM »

This week I recieved two swap packages(if you can call them that) from two different people that were empty or near empty.  The swappers shipped using unpadded standard white envelopes that were ripped open before I recieved them.  One of the envelopes was completely empty and the other only contained 1 of 3 or 4 items that were shipped. 
Maybe something should be added in the swap requirements about how to ship packages.  All parcels should be shipped in padded envelopes or boxes.  Just a suggestion! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade and vintage goodness!
www.gibsgoods.etsy.com
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009 12:14:54 PM »

I suppose that organisers could add something into their starter post, although I'm sure we all think that people know how to ship. Cheesy  It might not be a bad idea, I've had lots of packages be delivered pretty banged up, although I don't think I've lost any items.

Definitely padded envelopes are needed, I did receive one item in a regular envelope and it was darned near squished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foreversandals
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009 12:33:58 PM »

That works for most swaps. But I know there are some swaps out there where using a padded envelope is just too much. When I helped co-organize the Yarn for Rapunzel Swap, [as far as I can remember] we all used regular envelopes since we were sending about 10 pieces of yarn.

But I do agree that padded envelopes and boxes are ideal for most other swaps. I would just make it a suggestion, and not a requirement since it doesn't always apply to all swaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009 01:52:49 PM »

I agree, it shouldn't be a requirement on how to pack - most craftsters do pack very well.  But perhaps some shipping/packaging suggestions could be made. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mcook72677
I fink you freeky

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009 02:58:40 PM »

I think  it should be up to the organizer to add it to their post.  You would think that people would realize that a pendant might puncture a regular envelope but that's not the case.
And I see your point with the yarn thing. Yarn is an item that would not poke a hole through paper so in that case a regular unpadded envelope would suffice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade and vintage goodness!
www.gibsgoods.etsy.com
myklia
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009 05:48:06 PM »

I know for inchies, most used standard envelopes, but most were packaged in those envelopes very well.  There were a small handful of losses though.  I sent regular envelope for that swap (though the rapunzel I used a padded envelope).  Most of the time I use a padded envelope or above.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GatorWrangler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009 09:05:11 PM »

I'm organizing one of the swaps mcook72677 is talking about and mcook72677's package was not the only empty envelope.  The sender sent to 10 partners and I have heard from five so far, and everyone of them had torn, empty packages. I don't know of a rule behind this, but the items were just in a plain, unpadded envelope and the items were sent internationally. I believe it to be the responsibly of the sender that the items make it to their partners and not a single one made it, I asked the sender to resend all the items.  I hate that she has to go through this, but I really have no other choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Colleen

My Pinterest
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009 09:26:56 PM »

mcook, it's awful that you got two "shredded" swap packages one after the other. Sad

My thinking is, a swapper should choose what s/he thinks is the most appropriate packaging for the item.  It seems silly to insist on a padded envelope for an ATC or a few bits of yarn.  BUT, the swapper should be prepared to re-craft and re-send if the packaging plainly wasn't sufficient to hold up to the wear and tear of normal shipping.

Full disclosure: I participated in one of the swaps mcook is talking about (though I didn't send to her), and I did use plain large envelopes.  But I was sending knitted washcloths.  Washcloths are flat and don't have hard edges that might rip through paper.  And they all arrived intact.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GatorWrangler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009 10:55:07 PM »

Those plain white letter sized envelopes are made for letters and flat items and they expect to run them through the machine and that is why they cost less to ship.  The larger envelopes cost more and don't go through those same smaller machines so they tend to not go through as much crushing in that department, though I can't imagine washcloths having a problem anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Colleen

My Pinterest
Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009 04:46:08 AM »

I tape my envelopes to death if I'm the least bit unsure about how it will hold up. Even if the contents are flat the envelope might rip if it's overfilled or if it's unlucky in the sorting process... I've had fanzines go missing when the person sending them stuffed several of them in the same envelope.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Advanced Time Remapping - FCP 6
How to Make Good Green Screens for Under a Dollar
How to Round-Trip From FCP to Shake - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Create an Animated Logo - Motion 3
How to Do Advanced Compositing - Shake 4.1
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...