A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,245
Currently Running With Scissors:
813 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you insert eyelets correctly, like in corsets etc?!  (Read 1074 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 05, 2009 01:33:52 AM »

Hello! So I'd like to add some eyelets to dresses and Bags that I'm making, but I'm so confused.. everytime I've used them, the fabric has pulled out the edges and it just ruins whatever I've made Sad

Here's an example of the sort of thing I want to do, I made these dresses a couple of years ago, but where the purple one ties in the back, the fabric is coming out the side of the eyelet.. boooo!

the corset is the same.

I've read somewhere that instead of cutting the fabric, to just push a hole through instead, but is there anything else I can do to fix this??

Thanks Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
ChickadeeChickadoo
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009 02:48:09 AM »

Sorry I can't help but thank you for asking the question. I'm having a similar problem.
I did wonder if thickening the material some how maybe with interfacing might help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009 05:33:08 AM »

Not sure if I'll be much help, but my mom & I both use heavy interfacing in the row your eyelets are going to be. We cut strips of interfacing and sew/iron it vertically on the inside of the fabrics. I used an exacto knife to poke a tiny hole for the eyelet. The dress that this was done on hasn't had any fraying or running in the fabric so far, and it was done like 3 years ago.

Hope this might help out. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009 05:50:25 AM »

If you insist on cutting the fabric, you have to use some vicious interfacing, but what you're really supposed to do is wedge the threads in the fabric apart, without breaking them, until you can get your eyelet through. It's when the threads have been broken that it tends to start coming apart. If you never break them, it lasts a lot better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009 08:13:13 AM »

you could also hand sew your eyelets in.

http://kathelyne.deviantart.com/art/making-hand-bound-eyelet-holes-52937489

http://www.curiousfrau.com/Tutorials/eyelets.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LauPre

I've lost my scissors... again?!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009 09:55:33 AM »

Are you using eyelets or grommets?  Grommets are two pieces that go together and eyelets are just one piece. Eyelets are awful. They have rough holes that snags and frays your lacings, and they pop out like crazy. Grommets are the best, for sure. The two pieces encase the fabric securely all around and will stand up to a lot more wear and stress.  Anyway,  I thought I'd toss in a few of my tips:

First, always interface.  Obviously important if your fabric is thin, but just as important with thicker fabrics since even non-stretch woven fabrics can stretch across the bias and allow the fabric to slip out.  A piece of non woven interfacing can prevent the stretch and keep the fabric in place.    v3nu5's suggestion of using a strip of interfacing is a great way to do it, but at the very least use a piece of interfacing a little bigger than your grommet.

Second, the size of the hole you cut in your fabric should be as small as possible.  Honestly, most of the time you won't be able to just slip the grommet between the threads of your fabric, especially if you've interfaced it or if you're using a large grommet (like in my image below).  If you want to try it, though, I suggest using an awl, it'll help (push the awl through the fabric, then wiggle the grommet through).  It's just been a big headache for me, though, so I stand by cutting.    I use a pen and trace the inside of the longer half of the grommet (It has a slightly smaller hole) onto the fabric.  Then I cut an X inside the circle I've drawn with an Exacto knife, but I don't cut out the whole circle.  I might clip the ends of the triangles if the fabric is really bulky.

Finally, I always use a fray prevention liquid all around the hole, (I like Dritz's Fray Check) and let it dry before I add the second half of the grommet.  I swear every sewer should have a bottle of this in their kit.  It's cheap, lasts forever, and really makes a difference.

Happy lacing!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009 09:57:58 AM by LauPre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do some personal swaps.
I'm looking for handmade soaps, jewelry, and knit legwarmers/socks.
pm me if I can sew something for you!

Blog : http://blog.laupre.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/laupre
Home: http://LauPre.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing a Bagder
Red Deer Photographs
How to Photograph a Red Deer
Red Squirrel Photographs
Photographing a Red Squirrel
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...