A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Urban Threads vs. Sublime Stitching  (Read 6766 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010 06:37:29 AM »

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. What both companies did was introduce a whole new generation to embroidery. By saying that they dumbed it down is to insult anyone new who picks up on a needle and tries embroidery. I'm glad that you found confidence to freehand and to do your own patterns. A large amount of people who were introduced to embroidery via these companies have done the same. Newbies are just as valuable as "older" stitchers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010 08:53:16 AM »

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. What both companies did was introduce a whole new generation to embroidery. By saying that they dumbed it down is to insult anyone new who picks up on a needle and tries embroidery. I'm glad that you found confidence to freehand and to do your own patterns. A large amount of people who were introduced to embroidery via these companies have done the same. Newbies are just as valuable as "older" stitchers.
Kittykill, I have been such a fan of you so it pains me if my words are misconstrued and misunderstood.  Dumbing down meant no complex fancy stitches or threads, just clean easy outlines for entry level stitching.  And there is no way in heck I would ever think older stitchers are of more value, not sure if you misinterpreted my words or if I didn't express it well.  My point was the younger stitchers are lucky to have images that they are enthusiastic to stitch.  When I began cross stitching, it was geese in bonnets and country crap!  Can you feel my pain?
Imagine how many more young stitchers are picking up a needle as opposed to when it was thought of as "old lady" craft/crap?  It's a wonderful era of creativity.  Craftster is the perfect venue for inspiration and challenge to the staid traditional attitudes of handwork.
Hope you geese-in-bonnets people aren't offended  . . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010 10:39:18 AM »

Oh SkitzoLeezra, thank you so much for clarifying what you meant. I completely understand and get where you are coming from and yes I can feel your pain Cheesy. There are so many more options out there now than just the basic flower or bonnet. Thank you so much and keep on rocking with your bad self!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Picture Perfect Holiday Glam
5 Lifestyle Tips for December 2013
Top 5 Ways to Save Money on Beauty Products
Kerry Washington Shares Skincare Secrets
C&C Try: Rosewater
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...