A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,210
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Urban Threads vs. Sublime Stitching  (Read 8107 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009 08:42:25 PM »

I decide to leave for an hour and actually cook for my husband and look what happens Wink. I knew I should have ordered take out.

lisalady161-I am sorry that you feel attack or ganged up on. I really do believe that it wasn't anyone's intention to make you feel that way at all. We really do appreciate all voices here, including yours. I know that this is such a heated subject with a lot of people but I also know there is a happy medium where everyone can be respectful of eachother's feelings and voices. I really believe that myself and everyone at Craftster want to honor your feelings and your voice. Sometimes the internet is so wonderful at bringing us together but the meaning of our words fall flat. I truly, 100% do not think anyone meant any harm or disrespect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

akachan
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009 04:01:09 AM »

Hmmmmm......Somehow I knew that this would end up like this.  People on one side or another, people being cute/funny....what have you, and the sentiment and spirit of the statement being taken out of context. More fights are started like this all the time.  To quote my Boyfriend about  meetings he has at work:  "Words were said, feelings were hurt" ( graphic designers and advertising folks are not a good combo)   Cheesy

I think this is a very sticky wicket indeed. I like UT designs, but I had always this feeling, somewhere in the back of my mind of familiarity.....I had seen them before. I don't appreciate the indie washing of the whole thing, if it's a larger company...let us know. I thought it was a small company. Baaah who cares. If they were up front...would've been cooler ya know?

The design issue.........well....I thought there were enough similarities between them. I asked my BF (he's the graphic designer) from a design point what he thought. and he said that he thought the themes were very common, space girls, wiener dogs and so on, the style , spirit, and execution of UT's designs were just too similar to that of S.S's

Aaaaaaaaand that's my 2 cents. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009 01:13:08 PM »

I went away for the weekend so I'm just coming back to this.

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry the admin presence in this thread and our neutrality is being misconstrued!  I think that we're just all interested in other Craftsters takes on the situation, so that's why we all jumped in the thread. And even if we don't necessarily have any opinion on the matter doesn't mean that no one else should! Or that we want to stifle conversation about it.  We don't. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grimmscreed
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009 05:00:07 PM »

Wow, drama in embroidery land!  I think I may have been a bit forceful in my first reply in this thread.  I had read so many blog posts tearing Urban Threads apart that I was overjoyed to see someone take the other side.  The fact is, we don't know all the facts, but that isn't (or wasn't -- it seems to have died down now) stopping a number of blogs from acting as if they did, and doing serious harm to the reputation of a company.  And that's the danger of the internet -- misinformation or incomplete information can spread like wildfire, and those rumors can become a powerful force.

It bothers me to everyone rushing to defend Jenny Hart of Sublime Stitching as an unduly injured saint and attacking Niamh from Urban Threads as either an evil tool of the corporate Man or as a shameless pattern stealing hussy.  I don't know all of the details of the issue, but judging from what *has* come out, that seems like a gross over simplification.  Not to mention that very few situations are ever that clear cut.  I just hope it can be worked out to the mutual satisfaction of all concerned, so that I can go back to enjoying my two favorite sources of patterns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/grimmscreed

Swaps:
WWP Ostara Basket Round 26: Sent and received!
Craft with a Fat Quarter: Stalking and plotting
Givers and Needers Round 9: Packages sent to both of my needers!
karikazo
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009 11:05:17 AM »

I don't view either side as saint or Satan in this picture, but I do agree with the point raised above that I feel a little meh about UT in this as having portrayed themselves as a one-woman startup, with a mission statement VERY similar in content and tone to Jenny Hart's, when that's not quite what they are.  Being part of a small company run by dedicated crafters, as Embroidery Library claims to be, is great and perfectly respectable; I'm not sure why the UT "about" information isn't therefore more transparent about it.

I agree that crafters will buy the products they want, and I certainly hope there's room for multiple individuals/companies offering fresh, modern embroidery designs. I really like the Penguin & Fish designs best myself! Cute as a dang button.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5098432&section_id=5854386

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ybunnygurl
Party Hard!

At da RAVE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009 11:55:57 PM »

I met Jenny Heart a few days after hearing about this and seriously looked at some of her "original work" most of which are interpretations of other artists work, even her original stuff is not that original. Now some of the stuff on Urban threads is not original ether, however UT has a larger verity of patterns. Yes some things are similar heck they may even be influenced by one another, but in the eyes of how much has to be coped to be infringement is questionable, see the issue here is the third party photoshoping things, probably would not stand in court, seeing has Jenny Hearts work is some times a blatant rip off of Sailor Jerry Tattoo Flash. Has to the copying of bisness ideas and statements... it happens people do have the same ideas all the time. And Jenny Heart does not run her company all by her self like you think, she has her mom helping her and a publicist, and a publisher, because she is published...

Nether side is what they seem to be, so be weary if you choose a side. I personally think this is foolish, and don't get why people are getting so worked up about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Urban Threads

Full tutorials!! http://tiny.cc/tutorials534

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010 12:36:02 PM »

I would like to thank Craftster and its mods for hosting a balanced discussion on this issue, and I'm happy to say Jenny Hart of Sublime Stitching has retracted these accusations. In her statement, she withdraws her claims of copyright infringement, reveals that she edited and manipulated patterns in side-by-side comparisons, and apologizes. More information, as well as Jenny's retraction, can be found here:

http://www.urbanthreads.com/content/view/603/

All of us at Urban Threads and Embroidery Library would like to thank Jenny for making this public statement. We're happy to have this matter settled, so that we can look forward and fully focus on making awesome and unexpected designs for hand and machine embroidery.

If you have any comments or questions, please drop a note to support@urbanthreads.com. UT exists because of the hip stitchers of all ages and backgrounds who dig it, and we love hearing from you!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010 01:23:16 PM by Urban Threads » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like the project?  Check out full tutorials for all posted projects at www.urbanthreads.com
AGFH
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010 06:38:32 AM »

Thanks for the update. I followed this quietly as I didn't feel it was my place to take either side. Glad to see that it appears to be all worked out.

I just want to say that I love and fully support both sites. My last project used SS patterns, but my current project uses UT patterns. Who owns the site does not really come into play. Be it one person or one hundred, it's the pattern I am looking for, not the owners.

For me it all boils down to which site has the pattern that best suits my needs at the time. Sometimes it is SS, sometimes it is UT, sometimes it is a design I took from a book, sometimes it's a design I made myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
alorralora
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010 12:45:38 AM »

Personally, I don't care about the Indie aspect or their doctrinal statements, either.  What I do care about is the quality of the art I am looking for.  I like both, but leaning more towards UT because I saw their website first.  I think they both have something to offer.  I do like having guest artists on UT, also, just because it's nice to get fresh ideas.  Sort of like when Martha Stewart has guests on her show...nobody can stomach her 100% of the time   Wink

(she's lucky I stomach her at all, so totally OVER her...too bad I bought one of her books.  Bah!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010 09:08:51 PM »

Both companies are regurgitating old images and packaging it as "original".  We "older" stitchers appreciate not being locked into geese-with-bonnets pattern hell but really and truly, what both companies did was "dumb down" embroidery with easy outline stitches and with that, I now have more confidence to trace and freehand my own designs.  Frankly, I am a little over the mass nonconformity marketing of skulls, tattoos, pin-up girls, etc.  It's Embroidery Top 40.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Improve Your Oil Painting Skills
How to Create Different Textures with Oil Paints
How to Face Paint a Union Jack Flag
Shepard Fairey Mural Time Lapse
Jerry Saltz Shows His Favorite Paintings
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...