A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Silver Easter Egg (**Now with Tutorial, page 6)  (Read 15921 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2009 10:58:28 AM »

I think some of our fellow crafters think your egg is made of plastic, when in fact you have created it using the plastic only as a mold. 
  Cool

Thanks for pointing that out!  I think I confused people when I originally said it was made out of a plastic egg.  When in reality, I used a plastic egg but it is gone by the end of the project.  The final product has no plastic in it; it is pure silver. 

I was trying to explain this to someone and the best I could say was the silver now takes up the same space in the universe as where the plastic used to be.   Undecided
It's confusing...I'll start writing a tutorial!  Grin

I completely understood!  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2009 05:23:13 PM »

I am confused and would love a tutorial?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009 05:26:41 PM by Strawberryh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just_webby
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2009 04:14:31 PM »

This is beautiful. I would totally use this to hold my pearl necklace!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raggamuffinchild
Raggamuffin Child

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2009 06:39:29 PM »

Here's the tutorial I've been promising.  Grin  (It's kind of long.)

In order to do this project you need to have access to a metal studio.  A lot of high schools and universities have these available.  You might want to check out community access to these.  I live in St. Paul and we have a community education program and you can pay a fee and get access to metal studios as well as woodshops, ceramics studios etc.  

Equipment Needed: (Standard in Metal Studios)
-Blow Torch
-Alcohol burner
-Centrifuge for lost wax casting
-Vacuum pump
-2 Canisters for plaster mold

Materials needed: (Some of these are hard to find at craft stores like Michael's, so look at an art supply store instead.)
-Plastic Easter Egg
-Wax strips (specific for lost wax casting, these come in thin snakes about 6 inches long.)
-Metal wax carving tools (one tool looks like a small curved spatula the other looks like a large needle)
-Plaster
-Silver
-Razor blade

Steps
1. Use a strip/snake of wax to make a little ring of wax and place the egg on it so it is standing up.  This little ring will become the base of the finished box, so it doesn't roll over.

2.  Using the strips of wax, decorate the egg.  I used little snakes of wax as the vine.  I placed the snakes where I wanted them.  Then I heated the needle tool in the alcohol burner and ran the hot point along the wax where it joined the egg.  This basically glues the vines to the egg.

The leaves were made from working the wax like modeling clay to make little leaf shapes.  I used the same technique as before to attach the leaves to the egg.  Then I waited for the needle tool to cool and used the point to carve the veins of the leaves.

3.  When decorating is complete, use a razor blade to cut through the decoration at the seam between the top and bottom of the egg.  Then open egg so you have two halves.

4. This is where you use the plaster canister.  It looks similar in size and shape to a tin can, except that both sides are open.  It should be metal with a rubber lid.  Place the can so the lid is on the bottom.  

Remove the can and set aside.  Leave the lid sitting this way for the next steps.   (Do this for both canisters.)

5.  On the lid of the canister, make a little hill of wax in the middle. (About 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch tall.)  Do this to both lids.  

In the middle of the mound make a post of wax using one of your strips.  This post should be about 1/2 to 1 inch long.

6.  Attach one side of the egg to the top of the post.  Attach the post in the same way as the decoration by making a tool hot in the alcohol burner and melting the wax to the egg.  After this step the wax and egg should resemble a wine glass.  (Repeat this to the other egg on the other lid.)

7.  CAREFULLY, attach the canister to the lid so that the wax piece is on the inside of the can.  You should be able to look in from the top and see if your piece got damaged in this process.  You may need to take the lid off again and fix any mistakes.   **After the next step you will not see your piece until it is finished, so now is the time to fix any problems.**

8.  Mix your plaster according to the directions on the package.  It should be the consistency of a milk shake.  

9.  Carefully and slowly pour the plaster into the canister, covering the wax piece.  

10.  Put canister into vacuum pump and remove the air.  This will get rid of air bubbles that are trapped in the plaster.  **Remember that any air bubbles stuck to the wax will become part of your finished piece.**  This is what happened to my egg when I was rushing this step.  Let the plaster dry.

11.  Remove the lid from the canister.  Part of the wax might break off at this point, but it is okay.  

Place in a kiln with wax facing down and turn on kiln.  (I can't remember the temperature necessary for this step, but whoever runs the metal studio should know.)  **This step melts out all of the wax and the plastic, leaving a space in the plaster.**

12.  Place the plaster canister into the casting centrifuge, with the hole facing the center of the centrifuge.

13.  Put the pieces of silver into the tray and heat them with a blowtorch.

14.  This is the scary part!  While the silver is still molten, push the switch to start spinning the centrifuge.  It will seem like molten metal will fly everywhere, but if it is all set up properly it should just go straight into the mold.

15.  Using tongs, put the canister into cold water.  This will cause the plaster to break apart and dissolve leaving just the silver behind.  

Fishing around in the water you will be able to find your silver piece.

16.  Do steps 4-15 with both the top and bottom pieces.  Then saw off the little pedestal that is left over from the casting.  Sand and polish if necessary.  

17.  Put the top and bottom back together.

Voila!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2009 07:50:44 PM »

Thank you for doing this tut it is so helpful I wish you had a photo of it open.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raggamuffinchild
Raggamuffin Child

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009 08:32:02 AM »

I gave it to my mom, so it is at her house (in a different city).  I'll see if she can take a picture and send it to me.  The inside is hollow like the plastic egg.  It actually says "Made In China" on it because that was written on the egg.  In retrospect, I should have sanded off those words before casting.  The general rule with lost wax casting is that whatever the plastic/wax model looks like, the silver will look identical.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Samantha.Arch
I want to sing another melody, so different from the one I always sing...

Live Love Learn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2009 12:07:48 PM »

Haha Made In China. I'm not sure why I find that so funny. Smiley
But I absolutely love the egg. It's like a classy jewelry box. It's very beautiful! Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lStay crafty|
mlle_rachelmarie

Writing my dissertation in 15 minutes a day.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2009 07:56:53 PM »

Wow, thanks for the amazing tutorial! Great project and such a beautiful result.

I wonder how much it costs...is this amount of silver quite an investment?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog about my Paris life, books, and artsy crafty things: http://www.craftyrachel.com
stringofpearls
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2009 07:44:53 PM »

This is a real piece of craft. Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ohpumpkindear
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2009 10:36:04 PM »

Awesome, well done mate.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Southwestern Chicken and Rice Bake
Daily Grace Makes Nice Crispy Meats
How a Boudin Sausage Is Made
Popcorn Lovers Day Party Snack Ideas
Smoked Foods Take Over American Menus
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...