A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
831 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: two dresses, one fancy one casual  (Read 2618 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lizthecraftybitch
« on: May 04, 2009 10:23:58 AM »

here are my two newest creations!

My friends decided to have a prom party this weekend (they're all in college, and i'm a college graduate, but you can never be too old for prom, right?), and so i needed to whip up a fun dress. I had this blue fabric for years, i bought it when i was first in college because i thought it was really pretty, but then it turned out to be SO impossible to work with. so i threw it to the bottom of my stash, and every few months i'd pull it out, admire the colors, get annoyed with how it unraveled, and throw it back again.  So, to solve the unraveling problem, i cut out the pattern pieces for the bodice in fusible interfacing, then i just fused it right onto the fabric and cut around it. it totally worked. i couldn't do the same for the skirt, but i left the bottom edge raw because i actually like the way it looks as it unravels. If this were a dress that i would wear often, that would be a problem, but i may never again wear it. I sewed the tutu bits in by hand so the skirt would be really big and poofy. it was so fun to wear!

for the bodice i used New Look 6557. i just cut the pieces for it, but i didn't actually follow the pattern. the skirt i just made up myself.  and my dress form doesn't fill it out very well (she's not very chesty).

this dress i made from McCall's M5804. I love it, i can't stop wearing it. and it was really easy to make. that's about all i have to say about it.

thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009 10:37:37 AM »

first off both dresses are adorable ! I really love the first one and I like how you left the bottom raw ! it really adds to it ..and on a side not i cant believe how much your resemble my mom when she was younger ...i should find an old pic and send it to you .... your features are so similar ! ( very pretty ) Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyAggie
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009 12:43:02 PM »

Those are both super cute. It makes me want to do more sewing, but I can't right now because I have to finish finals before I delve into a project that will consume me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009 12:46:50 PM »

OK I'm starting to sound like a stalker .. but I showed your pic to My sis and she was shocked at how much you truly look like our Mom when she was in her 20 s ... its really an amazing similarity I cant get over it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anna Iv
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009 01:17:53 PM »

The blue one is just a wonderful dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizthecraftybitch
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009 10:40:06 AM »

OK I'm starting to sound like a stalker .. but I showed your pic to My sis and she was shocked at how much you truly look like our Mom when she was in her 20 s ... its really an amazing similarity I cant get over it

that is a little stalkerish lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Craft Flying Bird
How to Make Your Own Valentine Cards
How to use etching powder on glass items
The Benefits of Knitting
How to Do Block Printing
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...