A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk goggles (5 high res pics)  (Read 3597 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

seraphreak
« on: March 12, 2009 12:19:25 AM »

As per a recommendation from a friend, I am posting this project here. She informed me that there are indeed steampunk minded individuals here and that they might enjoy this project that I undertook on a whim over my winter break from school (December of last year). Keep in mind that the only power tool I used on this project was a drill. Wink

I mostly used materials that can be found in a do it yourself store such as Lowes or Home Depot and Jo-ann Fabrics.

The base was a 1 1/4" pipe coupling that I found at home depot which was cut with a hacksaw into 2 pieces. After that, I drilled two holes on each side of each eye cup.

I covered them both with vinyl that I bought at Jo-ann's. I'm not going to lie, and I'm sure that most of you will be somewhat startled by this, but I somewhat eyeballed it when it came to sizing/gluing/sewing the eye cups on. I made sure to put holes in the vinyl where I wanted the nose piece/strap connecters to go.

After that was all dried/sewn in (I used 2 ton epoxy that I got at Walmart (it's overkill, I know)) I fashioned 4 small semi-circles that fit nicely into the holes I had drilled out of bronze brazing rod. After epoxying this (most annoying step) I wound silver wire around the nose piece and made sure it was secure.

Then it was time to make the strap. Again, I kinda eyeballed this part and because I don't have a sewing machine available to me (until as of last week) I hand sewed the strap (not before reinforcing it with a layer of superglue and gorilla glue). The strap is simply scrap vinyl that I triple folded over. I cut small holes in each end of the strap and fitted them over the brazing rod loops on each end. I secure it with some various hardware I got from home depot. (that way the strap is easily removed whenever I get around to making a better more uniform strap).

Great thing about the coupling, is that you can purchase (or they come with) caps for the ends of them which allow just enough room for a glass layer (what's the point of goggles if they don't protect your eyeballs?).

I bought a spare sheet of glass from home depot and painstakingly hand cut it (not recommended, I had shards of glass in my hands for two days after the project was done).

I took the caps and spray painted them (I have no artistic skills, perhaps in the future I'll redo them if I somehow grow some art abilities in the way of rustic painting).

But here are pictures of the products of my labor:

If I get a large demand for it, I suppose I could probably make a step by step guide. But that's up to how much you all like/hate them.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yosabra
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009 12:25:11 AM »

Wow!  Those are amazing!!  Love your stitching.  Any chance of a picture with you wearing them?

And also... yes please tute! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phantasmafreud
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009 12:34:12 AM »

Ooooo!!! Great job! I've always wanted to make anything steampunk, but alas don't have much tool knowledge. I don't know whether to second the tute desire, or if that would be rude. If you do post one that would be awesome, if not I will be content to admire. Grin Thanks either way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Le Mieux
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009 02:14:41 AM »

oh my god!! i cant believe you hand-cut glass!! (ive never done anything to do with glass, so this sounds mecca-hardcore to me  Cheesy ) these are a proper labour of love and it shows - they're awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
lilymaid7
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009 06:13:10 AM »

Those are lovely.  The handsewing looks very nice on them, actually.

I agree, if you don't mind putting up instructions, they would be most welcome.  I could probably use a pair.  Although I might be a little less cool than you and skip the glass cutting part since that sound rather unpleasant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seraphreak
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009 09:03:01 AM »

Wow!  Those are amazing!!  Love your stitching.  Any chance of a picture with you wearing them?

And also... yes please tute! 

Dually noted. I'll go out and get materials so that I can take pictures step by step within the next week or so. :-D

Ooooo!!! Great job! I've always wanted to make anything steampunk, but alas don't have much tool knowledge. I don't know whether to second the tute desire, or if that would be rude. If you do post one that would be awesome, if not I will be content to admire. Grin Thanks either way!

That's the fun though. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to making anything. I have no sewing skills, I have very very little tool skills. Which is why I opted for my "make it up as you go" stylistic and design choices. That way, I could adjust the plan if I didn't know how to do something.

oh my god!! i cant believe you hand-cut glass!! (ive never done anything to do with glass, so this sounds mecca-hardcore to me  Cheesy ) these are a proper labour of love and it shows - they're awesome!!

Hardcore? no no... more like suckcore. haha, Since I've never cut glass before I opted to do it the incredibly difficult/newbie-ish way. :-P If I make another pair, I'll probably opt for a few changes, have the glass cut by someone with  more skill than I, probably have a machinist make the brazing rod loops to have a more clean fit.

Those are lovely.  The handsewing looks very nice on them, actually.

I agree, if you don't mind putting up instructions, they would be most welcome.  I could probably use a pair.  Although I might be a little less cool than you and skip the glass cutting part since that sound rather unpleasant.

Also noted. Hopefully this time if I make a new set, I won't make such a mess with epoxy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tkyro57
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009 10:27:45 AM »

These are beautiful! A tute would be most appreciated and amazing. Steampunk is awesome =D

(I am in love with the stitched details!)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009 10:39:05 AM by tkyro57 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommamoonbeam
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009 05:09:15 PM »

i've seen some goggle tutorials, but i like yours better than most of the others i've seen i'd love to see the tutorial and see what you do differently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ibexamber
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009 08:07:46 AM »

These are really really stunning!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nancy Ohlin Shares the Inspiration Behind Her Novels
Behind the Scenes: Endless Knight Cover Shoot
Discover 5 Ways to Improve Your Memory
Precious Blood by Tonya Hurley
Turney Duff on Galleon, Goldman and Cocaine
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...