A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
784 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i don't understand how this skirt works....  (Read 839 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blackstar
marathon sleeper

ha...my sunglasses are bigger than yours!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2005 06:34:03 PM »

ok, i want to make this skirt, but I don't really understand it completely....

is it three seperate pannels of fabric sewn together? or just one peice except ruffley??

and is it ruffled using narrow elastic or thread??

someone help me!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*wise men follow their own direction*~
JennaPotter
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005 06:37:03 PM »

I think its just one back piece, one front piece then gathered using elastic at each "level". The bottom different colored emboidered piece is actually part of the fabric that was there before they cut it into the front and back pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005 07:04:00 PM »

I think its three seperate pieces sewn together. The waist looks like elastic and I would guess each panel is ruffled but not with elastic. I could be wrong but I've had skirts like this and mine are the way I described. Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005 07:07:57 PM »

I think its three seperate pieces sewn together. The waist looks like elastic and I would guess each panel is ruffled but not with elastic. I could be wrong but I've had skirts like this and mine are the way I described. Hope that helps.

I second this... this is usually the way these skirts are made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
simply
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005 07:34:24 PM »

3 seperate pieces. if you look at the joining seams, the fabric above is straight, and the fabric below is ruffled. if you look at is from waist to hem as tier a, b, and c, and use the number 1 to reprsent fabric length, tier a=1, tier b=1 1/2, tier c=2. hope that made sense  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005 07:42:55 PM »

this looks like three separate panels. The top has an elastic waist. You would make the elastic long enough to fit your own waist. It looks like it's about six or eight inches wide. The next layer is about the same in width. It would be a longer piece than the top one. You use a running stitch along the top edge. Then you would gather the fabric by gently pulling on the thread with one hand and guiding the fabric to make it look like little puckers. You gather this edge and keep tightening it up until it will fit against the first layer. The third layer would be longer than the second layer was and gathered in the same way until it fits the second layer. You can add more layers to make the skirt as long as you want it.
Does this explain it for you? Ask more questions if you need to. Hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blackstar
marathon sleeper

ha...my sunglasses are bigger than yours!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005 06:01:41 AM »

wow thanks everyone....but two more questions....

ok, for the second and third tiers, do i gather it when it's just a flat pannel of fabric or do i sew it into a large circular shape and then gather it to make it smaller??

and... how do i get the gathery-ness to stay? after i sew it do i remove the basting type thread, because thats what i do with my regular ruffle skirts. or do i have to keep the thread and tie it off?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*wise men follow their own direction*~
simply
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005 06:41:03 AM »

it might be easiest to do it all flat and then seam it up the back.  i think once you've sewn it it would be safe to cut your basting thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005 08:00:48 AM »

YOu can actually do it both ways!
If you do it straight across with a flat piece be sure all three layers are flat. This way you can line up your back seams.

Or you can make three large circles and then gather making sure your have your back seams lines up.

After you have sewn all thie pieces toghter then you can remove your basting stitches.  YOu could leave them in if they don't get in the way but in my experience stepping into the skirt with shoes on the basting stitch gets caught up in the shoe and then you aren't sure if you should pull if or if it is just not the basting stitch and might make a bigger mess. (believe me I've seen it happen and had to fix the problem)
SO removing your basting stitch once finished is a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Orchid
How to Fold an Origami Lily Flower
How to Fold an Origami Bunny Rabbit
How to Fold an Origami Butterfly
How to Fold an Origami Cherry Blossom
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...