A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Isn't Just for Grandmas and Mommies!! (a young crafter rant)  (Read 13185 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009 07:42:40 AM »

Peanut, great ideas! Thanks.  I was taught to hand sew a little, think back stitch only when I was about 6 but I never did anything with it, I didn't learn to sew until I went to home ec in 7th grade, I was made to take it, I lived in a backwards town that believed that it was important for womenz to learn to tend thier houses!   Roll Eyes  So it turned me off of sewing for a long time, I only did some light sewing here and there until I got pg with my little girl and then all of the sudden I had to learn to sew, well really the prices of all those adorable little dresses on Etsy and Ebay scared the sew right into me lol.  Now I love it!  I have high hopes that my kids will also love it lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009 09:36:13 PM »

I made a quilt last year for my friends newborn. I wanted it something she could grow into so I had cutsey rubber ducky type fabric and pink skull type fabrics.

When I was hospitallised late in my pregnancy they stuck me in the Maternity ward. I noticed all the baby boys had blue blankets (maybe with car decos), and the girls pink (and faeries). Berk.

My unknown-gendered Splodge emerged into the world, to be wrapped in a white with black skull and crossbone and stars motif bunny rug!  Grin

Peanut, I hope my now one year old son will grow up to be as cool as your boy, at nineteen! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
Kizzie421
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2009 05:44:55 PM »

I grew up learning all kinds of crafts, and baking. whenever one of my friends needed something fixed, cooked or baked i was the one they called. and i still am.

I recently started to crochet and knit, and make my own clothes. so my trips to Joann's have increased. the ladies in both stores i go to know me as the ferret girl. Since i mostly made ferret bedding. when i bought fabric to make a dress, the lady cutting my fabric joked and said i spoil my ferrets. I smiled and said i was attempting a dress for my self. She
thought it was the coolest thing! Mind you have have a lot of piercings and a full sleeve going on my right arm.

"the look" mentioned earlier in the thread is the best i have come up with. Otherwise i would bite peoples heads off. Walmart employees are the worst by far! the craft dept never has anyone there to cut fabric and when they finally show up they are pissed cause I'm making them work. I complained to the manager once and was told "the craft dept isn't a major dept, so it isn't fully staffed"

being crafty runs in my family, i have the hands on skills and my brother has the drawing skills, another brother is a whiz with power tools. My parents encouraged us from a young age to explore our need to craft, even if it meant we dyed the tub or washing machine a few times.

I say F those who don't understand and keep doing what you love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

koliver06
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009 09:14:39 AM »

I hate that ppl are being rude to you! Just say screw them and next time if you have self checkout, go through that. I've always found the ppl who get fabric for me have always liked that someone so young is sewing, or in my case crocheting too. (I do a little of both). I've luckily never really had any of this happen to me though. Don't worry about the haters and do what you do!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StripedPajamas
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009 09:09:38 PM »

Oh I know! A lot of middle aged people give me such looks when I roam around the sewing isle at AcMoore, and it's worse because I'm short for my age,13. Luckily though when I've visited Ikea for fabric, the employee I talked to sewed as well and was nice. Now I shop for fabric at Jomar, although the downstairs is pretty much repulsive, the fabric among other things upstairs is overwhelming. Prices go as cheap as a dollar per yard, there's ton of lace, trim, buttons, zippers and all sorts, everything cheap. The people there are friendly and like to talk to you about your projects while cutting the fabric. I also hate it how when people ask you where you've gotten a certain thing, and you tell them you've made it yourself they give you this incredulous look and say "No way, you're such a liar".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my new fashion blog here
MaggieMo
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2009 12:23:55 PM »

oh wow the horror!

I live in Houston, I see a lot of craftiness around town at all ages. We even have a sewing lounge that was opened by some fairly young looking girls that teach sewing and other crafts, have yet to check it out in person though, I don't live real close to the place.

You see on TV some more younger generations too, I dont consistently watch Project Runway but there are younger people on that show that make amazing outfits, and I do believe one of them has a shop down here in Houston too, was it Chloe Doa? sorry I dont consistently watch a lot of tv programs, so Im probably sounding very out of touch here...  Huh

I guess Im lucky Ive met some amazing older women that are more than happy to see a young face in their store or help out when you hit a snag, too bad they cant all be like that

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But I don't want to go among mad people." said Alice. "Oh, you cant help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here."
soorawn
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2009 12:51:13 PM »

Some people just look at other in a weird way to hide the fact that they are craft-challenged and utterly envious of other people's inventive.  And I feel the environment helps one way or another.  The other day I was carrying three pool noodles home and got a lot of reactions, many giggles (what is hilarious in a pool noodle, please explain?) and a very old man even told me he loved me (although I suspect he would have with or without noodles).  Now, should this have happened in my home town, nobody would have cared the least.  They could have been three corpses and they would have just given the quickest glance and get on with their own business showing no reaction at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
atomickim
Retro Gal

D.I.Y, the only way to go!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2009 10:22:08 AM »

i get the same reaction! i've had people tell me that they didnt think people still sewed
my mother taught me how to handsew when i was 8. i stopped for awhile cause i thought it was "uncool" (yea damn being a teenager!) i picked it up again when i was 20 (im 24 now) because im into the whole rockabilly/vintage thing and i wasnt about to spend 80 bucks on a simple dress and im a curvy gal so that makes it even harder to find a "cheap" rockailly/vintage dress. now the people that know me and know that i make my own clothes are super jealous and want me to teach them how to sew as well..

also my two of my step kids want me to teach them how to cross stitch and sew and that includes my 11 year old step son!

ive never had an issue at walmart when dealing with fabric. the ladies have always been nice to me.  its when i go to Joanns is when i get the weird looks especially when my fiance tags along with me we live in the middle of nowhere ohio right now where there is not subculture of anykind. so here we are..me a rockabilly vintage gal and him a psychobilly punk type .so i get the whole we're going to either rob the store or set things on fire look..especially when i go into Hancock fabrics! we've been followed through the store once!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009 11:09:25 AM by atomickim » THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreyAward

Gusset both ways?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2009 09:21:28 PM »

I worked at the local Hancock Fabrics before it shut down and I got lots of looks from the customers.
It isn't my fault I'm younger than them, I still probably know more about sewing and fabric than they ever will.
Honestly, if people treated me like that when I was buying something from them I'd just leave without buying the product. Maybe it would make them think twice about treating young people poorly. Us consumers have more power than we realize.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If  you want to personal swap, pm me!
HisTechnoAngel
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2009 08:31:29 PM »

Go you!!! I am 24 and when I relearned crochet, everyone was shocked... they were like "why would you learn that? what can you make from crocheting??" ....*giggles* .... I show/tell them about amigurumi or awesome afghans like Gege's super Mario obsession or the kick-ass dinosaur hoodie I'm working on for my 2 year old... they then have a greater appreciation for it. But, I don't know how to sew, and when I mention to people close to me (IE, friends and family) that I want to learn and I am trying to find a free or cheap sewing machine, they're like "why??" .. rinse and repeat...... LOL. Anyway, making stuff.. doing stuff.. ROCKS. I love being a crafty/creative person. It means I have endless opportunities and possibilities.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 11/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 12/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 13/26
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 8/13
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 1/26
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...