A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,670
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me organize my fabric stash! please!!  (Read 1631 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 03, 2009 11:05:38 PM »

I am trying to organize my craft "room" and Im doing pretty well, but Im totally stuck on what do do with the smaller chunks of material. Anything that is 1/2 yard-ish or more I have folded around cardboard, but I have an insane amount of material left over that I dont want to just throw in a box, because I never remember what I have! any ideas? Space is limited!

this is my room, most of the large amounts of material have been moved out and are folded, but all the plastic bags you see and some of the boxes are full of scraps. and for size reference I only keep scraps if they are a fq or bigger.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009 11:26:49 PM by zombiekilla » THIS ROCKS   Logged

K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009 07:15:59 AM »

I think your best option would be to send it all to me!!!   Grin   I love left overs!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009 08:53:00 AM »

I think your best option would be to send it all to me!!!   Grin   I love left overs!!
there is so much I would have to sell my house to cover shipping!!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahBlais
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009 10:04:19 AM »

I found a couple of ideas online.

What about a smaller organizer similar to your cardboard ones that you use for larger fabrics? This site has organizer cards made for fat quarters, ribbons, trims, and scrap strips of fabric - http://www.thefabricorganizer.com/

This site - http://quilting.suite101.com/article.cfm/organizing_your_quilting_fabric suggests cutting down your scraps into specific sizes that you use often and then organize them in bins based on size.

Hope this helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

x46
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009 06:46:08 AM »

I sort things by colour as I usually know what colour I'm looking for.  I make dolls' clothes, so have large Ikea boxes with labels by colour.  And, for quilt fabric, I have an old dresser with colour by drawer.  I know what you mean about bits.  It's the hardest thing to find a spot to put there where you can find them again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abbytail

shes possesed, and she gets the hiccups.......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009 08:10:16 AM »

would it be an idea to hang rope( like a washingline) along a wall? Just hang some ropes along a wall above each other with a feet or so appart. You can then hang the fabric pieces from the rope with a clothes pin. You can rearrange the fabrics by colour or pattern and it would look really jummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm never having kids, I hear they take 9 months to download
soorawn
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009 08:29:30 AM »

Plastic bags have no structure and go untidy so easily.  Put them in boxes or plastic crates and stick them in those nice shelves you have there.  Order them by colour or type of material or whatever that suits you to make groups and put these in different crates, so you will be able to find them easily when you want them.  You could even make an index list for every box, or take pictures of the contents and stick them on the front side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
SarahJSaturday
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009 10:51:31 AM »

do the same thing you did with the larger fabric on a smaller scale. Get some heavy weight index cards. Or store then in clear plastic bins they sell, the ones that are roughly the size of a shoe box and sort them by color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly known as rubidiumdawn, I changed my username.
The Crafteteria- Home Baked crafts!
Bike Swap! Let's make this happen!
Bluevase
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009 06:31:36 AM »

Maybe get a clothes rack and hang big pieces of fabric on hangers? For smaller pieces, keep them organized in bins or those three-tier drawer thingies that have lots of compartments so you can sort by color....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009 10:22:52 PM »

I agree with the first post... Send some of it to me! But, really, the plastic bins are the best idea. They have to be clear. Big Lots is a good place for those, pricewise. They carry an extensive selection, and are just slightly less than Wal-mart. I have all my stuff in them, that is not on rolls. A clothes line sounds interesting too, especially if you are in the middle of a quilt, or some project where you want tosee a lot of stuff at hand. You could hang what you're working with, to keep it off the table. I did know an old dressmaker who kept fabric on hangers. She used tissue paper between the fabric and hanger, and plastic dry-cleaner bags on top. This was a good solution for expensive pieces. Until you go out and buy containers, sort different fabrics into groups, into all white kitchen bags. Then you can see which size containers you really need. You may need a variety of sizes, so think about how they fit into your shelves, or the closet, etc. K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Guide to Painting
How to Access a Viewfinder
How to Choose the Paper in Watercoloring Painting
How to Do a Dinosaur Face Paint
How to Do a Skull Face Paint
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...