A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a truckload of photos for my living room turning a lilac refuge  (Read 1863 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: July 13, 2009 02:34:44 AM »

I took so many pics that I first made collages out of them, or I'd have probably four times these pics to publish!!

To make a long story short, when I resigned from my job at the end of March (not an easy choice, but my boss had reduced me to a physical wreck, when I started on anxiety medication it was just the last straw... the next time he started yelling at me for something beyond my control, I said goodbye) I needed to feel useful and do something... so I turned to my living room, which was a bit of a mess and we were considering hiring someone to paint it... now I was free to redo it!

here are a couple of befores, as reference:

all the walls needed fresh paint to erase the marks from the radiators and some pet damage, we wanted to change the disposition of the room inverting living room and dining room, and we'd just inherited a big bookshelf from my grandmother which we would trade for the shelves we had up on a whole wall behind the table.
There were lots of stencils (on the doors, above the entrance) and a column all hand-painted with an ivy creeping up the sides... it all had to go.

it started from emptying the room, dismantling the bookshelves, closing all the holes, covering the new windows etc...

lots of sanding to scrape away the painted decorations, to be sure they wouldn't pop up through the paint

then we started painting. I had planned a more mauve-ish color, but my mother liked the lilac very much so we kept it. we had planned to use two tones - a light one on the main walls, and a slightly darker one on the colums, one corner and the niches of the windows

bought some new furniture from ikea, and painted the interior doors

new sitting area, with the door opening on the balcony

new fabric stuff

new dining area with grandma's bookshelf

the entrance, with a before for comparison

before and afters:

dining area turned sitting area

vice-versa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jazpurita
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009 02:59:12 AM »

It is very nice I see a huge difference and it looks really relaxing in the house I love the after bookshelf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009 05:29:50 AM »

its lovely and bright and airy Cheesy lol the painted ivy.. ick lol makes me shudder Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009 08:37:10 AM »

To make a long story short, when I resigned from my job at the end of March (not an easy choice, but my boss had reduced me to a physical wreck, when I started on anxiety medication it was just the last straw... the next time he started yelling at me for something beyond my control, I said goodbye) I needed to feel useful and do something... so I turned to my living room, which was a bit of a mess and we were considering hiring someone to paint it... now I was free to redo it!

You did the right thing, I also had to quit a job. I have only worked temp since then and am out of work now, so my work history sucks, but I'm happy, broke but happy.

I totally redid my craft room and since having been out of work been swapping and making poppets (and of course looking for a real job).

I love the transformation, but being a clutterbug wanted to cry when you got rid of the wall of bookshelves.I really like the redone chest of drawers the best. That is about the biggest project I could tackle right now. Kudos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
alhrayth
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009 09:00:20 AM »

I love the transformation, but being a clutterbug wanted to cry when you got rid of the wall of bookshelves.I really like the redone chest of drawers the best. That is about the biggest project I could tackle right now. Kudos.

well... I still actually have all the shelves and the mounting rails in my garage... couldn't bear to throw them away...
and we kept most of the books too - there were some that left us seriously going "WTF?Huh" at why we had bought them in the first place, so the really really bad ones went into recycling, and the others (mainly novels and literature) were donated to a nursing home...

the chest of drawers was another result of us being packrats too.... again, we couldn't bear to throw it away (and seriously, it looked horrifying). It is far from perfect now, but it's half hidden behind the armchair and you don't notice it much... and it is very functional!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 09:01:23 AM by alhrayth » THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009 09:35:09 AM »

I love the transformation!  I must make a confession though-- I miss the shelves you had in the dining area!!  You did a great job and I hope you love living in it. 

I know how it feels to be put on anxiety meds because of your job and then realize later that you have to quit.  It's hard, but there's freedom in quitting a job that makes you sick!!!  You can't put a price on freedom  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
WizardGlick
Save the Texas Prarie Chickens

Greener seems to fall beneath your feet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009 09:48:09 PM »

you wrote in your notes that your dad made the clock from "perspex." what is that??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Ultimate Curry
How to Make Korean Ice-Cold Noodles and Kimchi
How to Make Grilled Shrimp and Plums with a Sweet Hoisin Sauce
How to Make Delicious Chinese BBQ Pork on the Grill
How to Make a Fiery Asian Boneless Pork Loin on a BBQ Grill
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...