A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: washing cotton  (Read 891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starghoti
« on: March 30, 2005 05:05:45 PM »

I was at a LYS and the girl who worked there said she machine-washed almost all of her cotton yarn creations.  So I wondered if this was really OK to do; the cotton yarns I've seen are marked hand-wash.  Any of you guys have experience with this?  Also, in particular I was wondering if this was OK for Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (80% cotton, 20% wool) - I assume not because of the wool content, but maybe one of you has tried.

Thanks a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005 05:54:11 PM »

YOu may be able to wash a lot of the stuff you knit in cotton in the wash... especially things like dish cloths, etc.  If you MUST wash stuff in the machine I would suggest doing it on the gentle cycle with woolite.  But I think I'd rather be safe than sorry... spending all that time, effort, and money on a fantastic creation, and then throwing it in the wash!!!  With time the machine can really wear down clothing, for one... and just one freakish accident in the machine... I could just cringe at the thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
emling
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005 06:33:51 AM »

I have machine washed (although not machine dryed) a sweater for my husband that I made out of Cotton Fleece--it turned out just fine.  I agree with kristiface that you'd do best to at least start with a gentle cycle with woolite.  I have a cotton & silk blend sweater than I machine wash _and_ dry--I think it's really improved the look of the garment, but that's just me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005 09:55:22 AM »

When my daughter was about 5, I knit a sweater for her out of Sugar and Cream cotton yarn.  I always put it in the washer and dryer.  When she out grew it, I passed it down to my brothers little girl.  My sister in law always put it in the washer and dryer.  That's been twenty years ago.  I resently saw it on another child, and it still looks good.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005 11:38:10 AM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gymkeiki
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005 11:14:53 AM »

Depends a lot the yarn itself.

Blue Sky Organic Cotton just isn't a machine-wash candidate because it pills so easily and is so loosely spun. My swatch literally shredded in the wash, but it's such a loose, soft yarn to begin with that machine washing and drying won't benefit it much.

On the other hand, a tightly spun or mercerized cotton gets softer and fluffier the more it's washed and dried. Sugar N Cream is a tighter cotton that's kinda harsh on the hands while you're knitting it, but it definitely holds up well and feels better after a machine wash/dry cycle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dur30cat
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005 06:42:06 AM »

I do think it depends on the plying of the yarn.

Crepe plys, yes. Mercerized yes. I throw them both into the washing machine.

But I have no guts to try those loosely plied aka a few loose string type cotton. I am afraid they will get caught on something and break.

Em
http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting & crochet in Singapore? Definitely possible... check my weblog
aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005 10:41:09 PM »

I just knit the drop-stitch vest out of SNB Nation.  I knit it in a medium, in Paton's Grace, a mercerized cotton, and it's HUGE.  Can i try to shrink this in the dryer, or should I just rip it out and knit the small?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
Ms.Snit

I knit therefore I am...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005 07:58:12 PM »

When it comes to store-bought clothes, I'm a radical.  I throw EVERYTHING i buy in the washer and dryer... (ok, maybe I'm not a radical.  Maybe I'm just lazy)

When it comes to my hand knits, I'm a total sissy...

I usually use Eucalan for cleaning.  I'm only now working on my first cotton sweater, so I can't say I've used the eucalan products on cotton before.  Has anyone tried this with the same kind of sucess as with wool garments?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.spunmag.com - Not just knittin' pretty
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005 12:03:15 AM »

ive seen things with 20% wool or less felt in the washing machine.  so i wouldnt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
dur30cat
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005 10:31:32 AM »

I just knit the drop-stitch vest out of SNB Nation.  I knit it in a medium, in Paton's Grace, a mercerized cotton, and it's HUGE.  Can i try to shrink this in the dryer, or should I just rip it out and knit the small?

I don't forsee mercerized cotton shrinking so I would suggest a rip and reknit.

Emy
http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting & crochet in Singapore? Definitely possible... check my weblog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Suzanne Corso’s The Suite Life
Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson by Jeff Guinn
A Certain Summer by Patricia Beard
Self-Published Millionaire Authors
How to Get Your Book Published
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...