A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: washing cotton  (Read 945 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starghoti
« on: March 30, 2005 05:05:45 PM »

I was at a LYS and the girl who worked there said she machine-washed almost all of her cotton yarn creations.  So I wondered if this was really OK to do; the cotton yarns I've seen are marked hand-wash.  Any of you guys have experience with this?  Also, in particular I was wondering if this was OK for Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (80% cotton, 20% wool) - I assume not because of the wool content, but maybe one of you has tried.

Thanks a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005 05:54:11 PM »

YOu may be able to wash a lot of the stuff you knit in cotton in the wash... especially things like dish cloths, etc.  If you MUST wash stuff in the machine I would suggest doing it on the gentle cycle with woolite.  But I think I'd rather be safe than sorry... spending all that time, effort, and money on a fantastic creation, and then throwing it in the wash!!!  With time the machine can really wear down clothing, for one... and just one freakish accident in the machine... I could just cringe at the thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
emling
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005 06:33:51 AM »

I have machine washed (although not machine dryed) a sweater for my husband that I made out of Cotton Fleece--it turned out just fine.  I agree with kristiface that you'd do best to at least start with a gentle cycle with woolite.  I have a cotton & silk blend sweater than I machine wash _and_ dry--I think it's really improved the look of the garment, but that's just me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005 09:55:22 AM »

When my daughter was about 5, I knit a sweater for her out of Sugar and Cream cotton yarn.  I always put it in the washer and dryer.  When she out grew it, I passed it down to my brothers little girl.  My sister in law always put it in the washer and dryer.  That's been twenty years ago.  I resently saw it on another child, and it still looks good.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005 11:38:10 AM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gymkeiki
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005 11:14:53 AM »

Depends a lot the yarn itself.

Blue Sky Organic Cotton just isn't a machine-wash candidate because it pills so easily and is so loosely spun. My swatch literally shredded in the wash, but it's such a loose, soft yarn to begin with that machine washing and drying won't benefit it much.

On the other hand, a tightly spun or mercerized cotton gets softer and fluffier the more it's washed and dried. Sugar N Cream is a tighter cotton that's kinda harsh on the hands while you're knitting it, but it definitely holds up well and feels better after a machine wash/dry cycle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dur30cat
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005 06:42:06 AM »

I do think it depends on the plying of the yarn.

Crepe plys, yes. Mercerized yes. I throw them both into the washing machine.

But I have no guts to try those loosely plied aka a few loose string type cotton. I am afraid they will get caught on something and break.

Em
http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting & crochet in Singapore? Definitely possible... check my weblog
aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005 10:41:09 PM »

I just knit the drop-stitch vest out of SNB Nation.  I knit it in a medium, in Paton's Grace, a mercerized cotton, and it's HUGE.  Can i try to shrink this in the dryer, or should I just rip it out and knit the small?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
Ms.Snit

I knit therefore I am...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005 07:58:12 PM »

When it comes to store-bought clothes, I'm a radical.  I throw EVERYTHING i buy in the washer and dryer... (ok, maybe I'm not a radical.  Maybe I'm just lazy)

When it comes to my hand knits, I'm a total sissy...

I usually use Eucalan for cleaning.  I'm only now working on my first cotton sweater, so I can't say I've used the eucalan products on cotton before.  Has anyone tried this with the same kind of sucess as with wool garments?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.spunmag.com - Not just knittin' pretty
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005 12:03:15 AM »

ive seen things with 20% wool or less felt in the washing machine.  so i wouldnt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
dur30cat
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005 10:31:32 AM »

I just knit the drop-stitch vest out of SNB Nation.  I knit it in a medium, in Paton's Grace, a mercerized cotton, and it's HUGE.  Can i try to shrink this in the dryer, or should I just rip it out and knit the small?

I don't forsee mercerized cotton shrinking so I would suggest a rip and reknit.

Emy
http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting & crochet in Singapore? Definitely possible... check my weblog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Adorable Summer Looks From Style Council Carly!
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Tonya
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Olivia
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Daniela
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Carly
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...