A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,682
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Encyclopedias  (Read 1554 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MAmadurk
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009 12:01:15 AM »

browse through the forum on papercrafts, especially the recycled projects.  Also, the jewelry making crowd sometime has great projects using pics or parts of pages.

You could still make book purses if you made a (book)cover for them---very retro!: think about middle school--reading the latest "naughty" book with a paper cover you crafted yourself!!!  Or graft on a cover from a "crotch novel" --err, formula romance novel I mean!

Try shredding some pages to make new paper. (after grabbing any cool pics first, of course!)

Do these suggestions give you any good ideas?
(and I agree--I hate to see these trashed, but then their sheer enormity is paralyzing when trying to think crafty!)

MAmadurk
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009 05:57:27 PM by MAmadurk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't consider myself a book collector.  I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe.   -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books.  -Thomas Jefferson
Novismom
Just Don't Call Me Ma'am

Good girls are bad girls who haven't been caught!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009 07:23:51 PM »

Do these suggestions give you any good ideas?
(and I agree--I hate to see these trashed, but the their sheer enormity is paralyzing when trying to think crafty!)

MAmadurk

Maaaybe. I think you pinned my problem. I have so many it is overwhelming. Hey, anyone wanting a challenge with textbooks, I will send you few to see whatchya got!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music."
Mocka_moo
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009 10:33:03 PM »

Maaaybe. I think you pinned my problem. I have so many it is overwhelming. Hey, anyone wanting a challenge with textbooks, I will send you few to see whatchya got!  Cheesy

I am so down with this!!! I will love to get my hand on making something great out of some old books!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009 10:37:17 PM by Mocka_moo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wowzers...
My Wists: http://www.wists.com/Mocka
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009 12:33:25 AM »

I papercraft and this would be gold! Even if it didn't have pictures the text makes great backgrounds. You can make Artist Trading Cards, use one to start a visual journal, sell the pages as ephemera, wallpaper a room (I went to a restaurant where the bathroom had dictionary pages and it was very cool), make a hallowed out book safe....give one to me Cheesy Hope at least one of these suggestions help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009 04:37:57 PM »

I just went to an Altered Book Workshop this weekend and my friend (she was running the workshop) had several old encyclopedias for us to use...either if we hadn't brought a book of our own to alter or to use pics from them, etc.  It was so much fun! We painted, folded, drilled holes, beaded, laced, cut, glued...you name it someone probably did it, lol!

If you're in the States you could list some on Freecycle.org and give them a new home. I'm sure some crafter would see them listed and snap them up! My friend who taught the workshop is an art teacher and used to do altered books with her students. She said her students couldn't get enough. They had art once or twice a week and were doing altered books for 3 months because they loved it! Maybe you could donate some to an art teacher? Ok, those ideas are just to clear out some so you have a more manageable number without throwing them away.

I saw somewhere (here on Craftster, I think) where someone made a really cool headboard for their bed using hardback book covers by arranging them on the wall.

You could still make purses out of them...I know there are some history geeks (term of endearment, not an insult, lol) out there who would love a purse with a president on it.

There are soooo many things you could do with them. I would have to agree that the main issue is the number of books you have! That has to be overwhelming! I would go through them and keep my faves (and a few extras 'cause you never know). Then try Freecycle or find an art teacher or fellow Craftsters to give the others to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Novismom
Just Don't Call Me Ma'am

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009 05:50:50 PM »

Well, I used some of them already. For work, we are running Polar Express Packages and one of our "extras" is a mailbox to send in a letter to Santa. Since the program is sponsored by Believe in Books, I decided to incorporate them into the post of the mailbox. Check it out:

I do have to confess, one of my employees took the materials my mother-in-law and I left her and decorated it. For someone who claims not to be crafty, I think she did very well! We made a great team.

I still have more books to go through and re-use. I now have some leads, thanks to you all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

somethingcelestual
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009 11:45:49 PM »

i would be very much all about taking some off your hands! im making all of my chanukah, solstice & christmas presents this year...along with reusing cardboard & paper to make the boxes & wrapping paper!

i would suggest using the paper inside of the encyclopedia for wrapping presents, or even cutting the paper into strips to use as "bedding" for presents that you want to put in a basket with a bottle of wine, some cookies or whathaveyou.

happy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Novismom
Just Don't Call Me Ma'am

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009 10:22:22 PM »

That might be doable. I started pulling some apart for someone else. If I still have more after this project, I will come back and let you know. I have no problems sharing or swapping items. Much rather you take them then send them to the dump! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Claisha

Well hello there!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009 12:10:55 PM »

you can go to foldingtrees.com and there are tons of paper crafts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Chateaubriand
How to Make Cheesesteak Quesadilla
How to Make a Strawberry Steak Salad - Valentines Day Edition
How to Make Beef Muffins
She Crab Soup Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...