A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question about lining for denim  (Read 328 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kerallyn

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 03, 2009 08:28:13 AM »

Well, I hope this is the right place to post because while I am using clothing to make a purse, my question more about the nature of the fabric and if they will work well together. 

I'm trying to save an adorable pair of jeans and tshirt that my daughter has grown out of; it's one of my favorite outfits she has, so I decided to make a little bag out of it.  The thing is, the denim is rather heavy and the tshirt is very soft and stretchy.  I'd like to use the shirt to line the inside of the bag.  It doesn't need to provide any structural support, only look cute.  But it's so different from the denim, I'm afraid it will stretch out too much or just to work in some other fashion that I can't put into words until it happens. 

So do you think I can use the shirt for the lining, or should I find something of a closer weight to the denim if I really want it to be lined?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
BT
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009 08:55:12 AM »

It's no problem to use the shirt as a lining if you use fusible interfacing on it. This will stabilize the knit as well as adding some support to the lining. The purse sounds adorable. Go for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mranaedesigns
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009 09:44:40 AM »

Yep! Interfacing.

And it should be the kind you iron-on or it won't work at all like you want it to.

And you can always interface-it with super-strong stuff or twice if the fabric is REALLY stretchy.

Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * * m .   r a n a e   d e s i g n s * * *
visit   @  http://mranaedesigns.com
shop  @  http://mranaedesigns.etsy.com
read  @  http://mranaedesigns.blogspot.com
elijor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009 04:49:22 PM »

It should work as long as you can sew the t-shirt without stretching it too much. You don't need that much stabalizing because the denim outside will bear the stress - As you said the t is just too look cut and maybe give it a finished look at the same time. Since the denim is so heavy i would probably just spray starch the t to help stabalize a bit while sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Tailoring Can Revitalize Your Clothes
Family Friendly Holiday Party Dresses
What Adriana Lima Wants for Christmas
How to Wear Skirts with Boots
Redbook’s Red Hot Holiday Gift Ideas
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...