A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dying jersey knit?  (Read 1895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Astica
« on: May 03, 2009 07:30:19 AM »

I bought a jersey knit dress that I really liked... except for the colour. It's a light purple and just looks too washed out on me. I'm hoping to make it a dark blue or purple - is there any way to do this?
What kind of dye can I use/what method?
Any tips/tricks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Grin

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009 06:17:47 PM »

what's the fiber content exactly? You may be able to find a dye that gets you the right color, especially if it's a natural fiber. If it's cotton, procion MX is very good (I actually dyed a whole batch of stuff purple a few months ago). It works on other natural fibers too though the process is slightly different. There are other dyes out there too (I just don't recommend RIT) If it's synthetic then I'm not sure, I've never dyed synthetic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009 06:49:23 PM »

Yeah, it doesn't really matter if it is jersey knit or woven or whatever it matters what the fiber content is that will guide you in how to dye it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009 11:01:42 PM »

Hiya! Just thought I'd throw in what I did once. I bought a printed jersey that was a cotton/spandex blend  (might have had rayon too, as it had a really liquid drape). It had an adorable skull print, perfect for a shirt I wanted to make for my best friend. Except that it was OATMEAL coloured, yuck! This could simply not be left as is.

I had a half a package of generic brand 'tintex' in purple leftover from another project. I dyed 3 yards with the half-package in my kitchen sink and my fabric turned out mulberry coloured (not what I expected, but a gorgeous colour nonetheless Cheesy). Since your dress is already pale purple, dying it a darker purple (so long as it is mostly cotton) shouldn't be a problem with any of the generic fabric dyes. There are directions on the packaging that tell you how much dye to use depending on how much fabric there is (if you use the powder kind). Dying it dark blue should also be fine, but you'll likely have a slightly purple undertone to the colour.

One of the problems I had, however, was some slight mottling of the colour. What I should have done was made doubly sure that the dye powder had thoroughly dissolved before putting the fabric in the sink. My method was to partially fill the sink with as hot water would come out of the tap, and then topped it up with water boiled on the stove. I think that if I had stirred the dye for longer, or used exclusively boiled water, I wouldn't have had mottled splotches. Your dress is probably less than 3 yards worth, so you'll need less water anyways, so I'd say boil a big pasta-pot full of water to put in the sink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009 09:00:28 AM »

Did you "stir" your fabric while it was dyeing? Having too much fabric/not enough water for your fabric and not agitating it can cause mottled splotches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009 10:53:29 AM »

ive used rit to dye jersey knit tons of times .. I have never had a problem for it .. i guess im just good at using the rit .. Iv actaully dyed tons of stuff for friends with rit to .. they say it dosnt work right for them .. but I never have a problem with it .......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009 02:14:03 PM »

ive used rit to dye jersey knit tons of times .. I have never had a problem for it .. i guess im just good at using the rit .. Iv actaully dyed tons of stuff for friends with rit to .. they say it dosnt work right for them .. but I never have a problem with it .......

it is possible to get RIT to work well (awesome that you can! RIT is so easy to find and cheap... Your friends and I just aren't lucky enough to figure it out I guess  Cheesy). It is just more difficult to do than with other dyes and there's a larger chance it won't get the results you're looking for on first try... it's too easy to get the water slightly too cold, or not add the perfect amount of salt, etc.
I mainly don't recommend RIT for colorfastness issues. Even if it does work amazingly well, because of the type of dye it is, it won't be 100% colorfast, while other dyes will never run after the first few washes. In my experience: my RIT dyed shirt is terribly faded by now though I've barely washed it, while stuff dyed with Procion MX hasn't faded even though I've washed it many times (and it hasn't stained anything in the wash either).

It's really about personal preference though, how well you can get the dye to work, and how colorfast you need the item to be  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009 07:03:38 AM »

I agree with the previous poster - Rit can be trick and you have to "boil" or at least have very hot water.

Back when I was dying a lot of fabric for quilts I ordered Procion MX (from Dharma Trading Company - no affiliation but they are great) now I don't do it so often and unless I am looking for a particular color I use Dylon. Dylon is the same as Procion MX but is packaged with the soda ash in it. Dylon is available most places that carry Rit.

Sploshes are most likely from uneven dying caused by not "stirring" while dying. Even with a lot of water the fabric will have wrinkles and such - this is going to cause sploches unless you move the fabric around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock the Statement Coat
How to Rock the Seventies-Inspired Platform Heel
Did Miranda Kerr Have the Most Stylish Weekend Ever?
Rihanna Reveals River Island Holiday Collection
6 Couture NFL Looks for Women
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...