A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,120
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Did I break my new Serger?!?!?!  (Read 1258 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evilsarah
« on: May 02, 2009 07:15:21 PM »

I have a Yamata serger...it's pretty much a carbon copy of the Singer 14SH654. So I was sewing along on one of my very first projects, and some of the tail threads get caught in what was being sewn at the time. All of sudden I hear a machine "tink" sound and the machine stops. The threads were in a big knot. So I cut them all away and re thread the machine ...yes in the correct way per the instructions...and the machine runs but it wont make the loops...the threads just run straight and all not locked together.

I have re threaded my machine 3 times now I think. I have also changed the needles and even tried the other plate thing I have. Still nothing.

Nothing inside the machine looks broken or off, but for the life of me I can't get it to work.

What the hell did I do??? Does any one know anything about this. Google doesn't seem to...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftnutz
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009 07:34:10 AM »

I don't know if this is it, but when I had a similar problem it was cured by making sure that the thread on the lower looper was under the upper looper thread when first starting to sew after threading the machine.  Then take all four threads and pull them to the left underneath the foot.   The book didn't show it that way.  But, when I threaded the machine and put the lower looper thread under the upper one, it worked again.  And if I put it over the top of the upper looper it doesn't work.  Doesn't make sense but it worked for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog for tutorials and lots of fun stuff.  http://frommycarolinahome.wordpress.com
cmarie14
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009 08:06:23 PM »

I don't know if this is it, but when I had a similar problem it was cured by making sure that the thread on the lower looper was under the upper looper thread when first starting to sew after threading the machine.  Then take all four threads and pull them to the left underneath the foot.   The book didn't show it that way.  But, when I threaded the machine and put the lower looper thread under the upper one, it worked again.  And if I put it over the top of the upper looper it doesn't work.  Doesn't make sense but it worked for me.

I love you. Smiley

I've been trying to figure out this problem for an hour. I was sooooo frustrated, because it wasn't looping and the lower looper thread kept getting out of one of the threading holes somehow. I tried what you said, and it's working like a dream.  (I hope I don't jinx myself saying that!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pamcake1323
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009 03:58:09 PM »

This post and response has saaavved my sanity!!

Thanks (=
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KimberlyErin
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009 08:38:48 AM »

Oh my goodness.  I thought I had broken something on my serger and had basically given up on using my left needle forever until I read this.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilsarah
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009 08:44:43 PM »

PS...sorry I didn't come back when I figured out my problem.

What happened is one of my lower looper arms was loose. Had I just taken it in to be calibrated it would have been all good...but the diy idiot in me thought I could do it myself.

NOW I have a broken serger. I broke the lower needle, and it's such an off brand I don't think I'll be able to get a new one. It lives in the trunk of my car now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TMLGirl
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010 07:01:29 PM »

I know this is a super old thread, and I don't know who you are.... but I love you.  This just solved HOURS of frustration and me aboutt o throw my serger out the window.  It works perfectly now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Amazing Arms Using Water Bottles Instead of Weights!
Get Your Heart Racing With Three Kinds of Jumping Jacks
The Sneaky Way to Get Toned Arms!
Mountain-Climbing Moves for Your Legs and Butt
Back and Leg Workout You Can Do Anywhere
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...