A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Glue (insert ominous music)  (Read 593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bloodycrafty
« on: April 23, 2009 07:25:15 AM »

This may seem like a silly thing to ask, but is anyone else kinda scared of super glue? I love to do crafts and fix things around the house, and every time I pull out that little plastic tube my hands start shaking. I think I'm just deathly afraid of having some terrible accident that involves getting stuck to something and taking a trip to the emergency room!

Anyone else feel this way? Any horror stories to share? Suggestions for helping me get over this?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melissanorth
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009 07:49:14 AM »

I have a phobia of driving/I'm scaredy when it comes to driving- maybe some ways of dealing with it can also apply to a superglue phobia..

Have you ever had an accident with superglue? Any reason for you to feel this way?

I have frequently glued things to my hands/my fingers together/the tube to the table... the most important thing to remember is to keep calm and follow the instructions- a butter knife/spoon can be used to gently prise apart stuck fingers. Soap and water and scrubbing helps too.  I have found that superglue is good at gluing paper, card and fingers, and not wood/china/anything broken that you might want to actually fix!  Using a pin or something small to apply the glue also helps to not get it everywhere.  My boyfriend paints dungeons and dragons models, and he got some special superglue from a model shop which had a large, thin needle where the glue came out, so you can apply it to things really precisely without it getting everywhere.   

I guess the thing with phobias is that they're unnecessary over-reactions to something.  Even if you're messy and clumsy, like me, and get glue on yourself, it doesn't mean a trip to hospital- it's not as bad as you think.

Hope this helps
Melissa x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ostera15
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009 12:14:12 PM »

I don't have a phobia, but I do prefer to use other types of glue, tacky/fabric/ect. Maybe I just have a closet phobia!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ostera15/
Save  the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate  !!!!
lylacfey
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009 04:56:11 AM »

Remember the episode of Designing Women where Suzanne super glued her mouth shut when she was blowing on her manicure?  I have been scared since, lol.  Your not the only one.  I just bought some Gorilla Glue so I think I might be getting better.  My DH loves Super Glue.  He collects it. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009 04:56:28 AM by lylacfey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009 12:55:20 AM »

the superglue in our house isn't for crafts, we keep it in the medicine box!! any really deep cuts get glued and steri-stripped. it saves a day in the ER. Fortunately my first aid training allows me to know the difference between something which needs attention from a professional, and something I can glue myself!

deep cuts get a layer of glue, the edges held together and then an elastoplast or a proper lint free dressing is applied. after a week when the cut is fully healed, I apply a hydrocolloid dressing (blister plaster) to stop scarring. Sophie had a cut which was quite bad on her knee last year, I cleaned it with salt water, dried it and used the method above and she's not scarred.

do not use on the face, it's best to leave the face to the professionals; although they will undoubtedly use it in the ER. they did on my husband's ear and cheek, my brother's neck and my dad's forehead. to use it you MUST make sure the area is clean, free of contaminants like grit or bits of glass and not too deep.

it was developed in 1942 to create clear plastic gunsights, but was found to be terrible at that job, but great at bonding all sorts of materials. in the vietnam war it was used to seal wounds on the battlefield.

perhaps this will make you less scared, once you find out what an amazing substance it is!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009 04:28:31 AM »

My DH also uses it for first aid.  He works construction & that is the best band-aid when you can't get the proper care when you are on a job site.  I agree Super Glue is it for cuts. 

I just don't want to glue my mouth shut like Suzanne Sugarbaker, ROFL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
bloodycrafty
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009 06:51:48 AM »

Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009 09:50:26 AM »

I'm just not a fan of superglue.  It's fast, but I get better results from white glue or Aleene's Tacky Glue.  However, when I was in school, everyone went crazy over a brand of superglue called Flash.  The very nice thing about this product was that, in addition to several sorts of glue, they also produced an accelerator, which instantly dried the glue, if a few seconds wasn't fast enough (Just don't use the two together with plexiglass, unless you've taped it off first, as it'll mar the plastic).  But they also made an un-glue-er, whose name I don't recall.  But it basically dissolved the glue.  It was a chemical reaction, so I don't know about using it on skin (definitely DO NOT use the accelerator on glue that's on skin--there's a super-heated reaction that'll burn you), but it worked on everything else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
N30Nb100d
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009 03:10:58 PM »

I'm scared of superglue... but I have a horror story that provides a reason...
Warning: It makes me cringe every time so don't read it if you're not ready.
A few years ago, my aunt needed to superglue something and as she was opening the tube, it squirted glue in her eye. Of course, the reaction is to close your eyes, so her eye glued shut. A doctor had to literally scrape glue off the surface of her eyeball after that. Fortunately she can still see... but I get nervous whenever I or someone near me is opening glue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009 03:44:19 PM »

I love super glue.  any time you superglue yourself to something get some finger nail polish remover and soak into a cotton ball.   work the area with the cotton ball until you are unstuck!   works like a charm.  and super glue is also good for closing wounds.  works better than a band aid!   

E 600 is my glue of choice.

and gorilla glue is wonderful  but it swells a bit when drying so its not good for all projects.

loved the designing women episode!!  Too Funny!!

I'm scared of superglue... but I have a horror story that provides a reason...
Warning: It makes me cringe every time so don't read it if you're not ready.
A few years ago, my aunt needed to superglue something and as she was opening the tube, it squirted glue in her eye. Of course, the reaction is to close your eyes, so her eye glued shut. A doctor had to literally scrape glue off the surface of her eyeball after that. Fortunately she can still see... but I get nervous whenever I or someone near me is opening glue.

WOW  not that made my eyes water!!!  yikes!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Is The Beachwaver the Mother of All Curling Irons? We Find Out!
How to Look Hot in Bikini Photos
How to Get an Acid-Washed Manicure
Purse Raid with Ariana Grande
Style Advice from Ariana Grande
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...