A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tea Party for my Mom's 50th  (Read 682 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Snowhite
« on: May 01, 2009 03:51:48 PM »

My Mom will be turning 50.  She has never had a birthday party.. well, not as long as I have been alive and I want to do something special for her.  I was thinking of a Tea Party.. but with coffee..lol.  My Mom loves her coffee. 

I would want to invite only the women from the family.. I planned an Anniversary Party for them and having invited the whole family, it became super stressful.. and super expensive.  I will of course make a kids table because I feel bad saying "leave your kids at home"  Husbands don't mind staying home and a frilly Tea Party invite will get them off the hook of going to another party Smiley

I know I want every place setting to have the antique-y cups and saucers.  Maybe floral handkerchieves for the placemats.  I will serve coffee and tea..... and that is as far as I have gotten.

I was thinking about having games and maybe a craft.. a tea inspired charm bracelet.  Does this sound too childish?  I know I would love it.... but I am a kid at heart.

Has anyone planned anything like this?  Any tips for decor or recipes for small foods?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009 04:16:36 PM »

what a wonderful idea!!!
 I would love the bracelet idea.  and for the kids  here is an idea a lady on here did 
http://www.dumpr.net/sketch.php

This is a good idea to do one for each kid???  or the parents so the kids  can color their own parent??
http://fototiller.com/blog/2006/06/26/coloring-pages-from-your-photos-3-easy-photoshop-steps/
that will help entertain them

for adults
I will PM you a recipe that is wonderful.  dainty things come to mind I will add more later on the food part.

for entertaining adults  go here for trivia of the year she was born
http://dmarie.com/timecap/

maybe make it a what do you think the price of ....  was in the year....  that sight will actual figure how many DAYS  old she will be.   

for other decorations I would think.  white "linen" table clothes with a swag of floral??
name place cards??
flower center pieces that could double as door prizes for the games you play.
maybe a game of who/ what do you think was the.......  ask many different questions and hear all the different responses.
thats all I got right now

THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Snowhite
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009 06:45:27 AM »

Ah!  Thank you so much for the photo coloring page!  I seen those on here before, but could never find a link that worked... I had wanted to make these for Xmas presents.

Thank you for your wonderful ideas.  I would love to do the trivia, but she and most of my family would not know alot of those... they are immigrants and did not have a car, radio, tv, etc until she was about a teenager.  It would be fun to take some prices for different milestone years in her life and do a sort of Let's Make A Deal game.

I completely forgot about place cards.. I could do small picture frames with names in calligraphy and use that as the favors.

Ooh, so many ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009 08:28:34 AM »

if I think of more I will come back to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009 08:16:02 AM »

I had a tea party for a church women's group and a local women's group I host and they both went great.  One idea I would suggest is for every lady to make a couple dozen cookies and exchange them, leaving a few extras for your mom.  You could get a plain, ceramic cookie jar and have all the ladies sign a birthday message for her on it, then leave 3 or so of their cookies in it for her.  It'd last a lot longer than cards and be pretty meaningful (and tasty inside!).  With everyone bringing cookies you also don't have to really make favors, although maybe little decorated boxes or something would be fun for them to take them home in.  Then you can just serve different sorts of sandwiches (my suggestions for our parties were: cucumber & cream cheese, smoked salmon & brie, prosciutto & mozzarella, turkey & cranberry, peanut butter & jelly), deviled eggs, and lots of flavors of tea.  I encouraged women to wear dresses and hats, so most people were decorated and little potted flowers were pretty much all else we needed to make the place look lovely.  Then I made up a tea bingo game and had everyone play, giving them the flowers as prizes.  That goes over really well for all ages, and since I already have 25 different bingo cards plus the key, just PM me with your email address and I'll send the Excel file to you to print out.  You can easily replace one word with your mom's name, or a few words with her name and some specific things to her to make it more appropriate for her birthday.  Other than that, though, I find women just really enjoy a time to celebrate and socialize, and you don't have to plan out too much.  Definitely have a toast to her and invite everyone to say something, though.  She'll appreciate that.  Tea parties are the greatest!  Good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Mix High-End Designers with Great Vintage Finds
How to Go from a Day to Night Look in 60 Seconds
Top 3 Ways to Wear Camel
The Debutante Ball 2013: Party at the Automobile Club in Paris
Save or Spend: Holiday Edition Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...