A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Mermaid party for 1yr old!  (Read 974 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maria isabel
blah blah blah

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2009 03:36:11 PM »

In June its my babys 1st Birthday! And we wanted to break from the traditional Winnie-the-Pooh parties and throw her a Mermaid and sailor party! The thing is taht we are stuck on ideas for favors, decor and games. We are doing it at my in-laws since they have a pool, guests can get in to beat the heat  Tongue
Anyone have any ideas? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ads ruin a mediocre site.
josita
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009 12:03:02 PM »

Buy one of those clear plastic shower curtains - shower liners, I think they're called. Less than $10 at Target. Draw a mermaid and sea scene on it with permanent marker or puffy fabric paints.

Now you can hang it up as a decoration...use it to play Pin the Bow on the Mermaid...or even float it on the pool. Then take it home and use as a shower curtain.

Not sure about favor ideas...pocket mirrors or combs? (You know mermaids and their hair.) But you could have all the favors in a treasure chest.

Be sure to tuck in some goldfish crackers among the snacks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rossie
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009 10:46:35 PM »

The problem with throwing a party for a one year old is that the one year old won't care too much about what going on... it's entertaining everyone else that's tricky!

Wet paint games might be fun.  You could cut out sponge shapes - fish, shells and the like - dip in acrylic or glitter poster paints, then take turns throwing them at a big canvas.  Once it's dried, the canvas would make a nice background to hang photos of the party.

Try magnet fishing.  Make fishing poles from sticks and string with a paperclip for a hook.  In a paddle pool/large bucket or water etc, place fish, starfish and other marine creatures made from laminated paper or plastic, with a magnet glued to the back.  For each catch, the kids get a prize.

For a crafty activity, the little kids could make their own sparkly mermaid jewellery (string, coloured pasta beads, pretty buttons and bits and pieces) or sailor hats (newspaper or some alternative and sticky tape).  Older kids could decorate hair combs with beads and wire, make flower/shell hair clips or photo frames, or make marine shaped soaps/candles/candies with molds and melts.

You could also try coconut bowling, mocktail mixing, lantern making, starfish throwing contests (not with real ones of course!), swimming races or diving for weighted prizes.  If you've got lots of people perhaps you could have a boat rally - teams make a 'boat' out of junk and have to race it across the pool.

For decor, I would suggest an ocean theme.  Crepe paper seaweed table skirts, cut out shapes of shells/fish/marine creatures hanging around... You could borrow ideas from a luau and give out leis as your guests arrive. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
maria isabel
blah blah blah

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009 02:23:03 PM »

We cant really do paint games, Im afraid of ruining the walls or  floor!
We are going to do a small pool party at my in-laws. We chose a mermaids & Sailors theme because we wanted to break away from the susal Sesame Strees- Winnie-the-pooh parties. The proble is since its in my in-laws house (they are the ony ones with a pool) they think they can organize everything their way. Their way being buying a lot of platic crap from the Oriental Trading catalog and from Wal AMrt. I want to make everything as DIY and personalized as possible! I think it will be cheaper and more fun!
I need ideas for decoration, favors and games. So far I have:
- face paint for the kids
- sea creatures shaped cookies
- mermaid crowns (design your own)
- sailor hats for the males (home made)
- an archway made of white and blue ballons for the entrance
I will put on the invitations that theoy should dress like sailors and mermaids, but just in case we will have a table where you can make your own sailor hat, or choose one of the pre-made ones I will make, or the girls can make themselves crowns with sea shells and stuff.

Here is one mermaid party I liked: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3514/3269310190_047e5cd7df.jpg

I also found these ribbon fish tutorial:http://www.mycraftthingies.com/2009/03/ribbon-fish-i-made-nemo.html I can use these for decor in a lot of ways. The Decor will be something like "Under the Sea" 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ads ruin a mediocre site.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Short Hair
How to Get a Braided Up-Do
How to Curl Your Hair With a Straightener
How to Style Side-Swept Bangs
Black, Gray and Red Wigs at the Nicholas K Fashion Show
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...