A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need mother's day gift advice  (Read 1777 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

detailedlace
« on: May 01, 2009 03:37:39 PM »

my mom and are aren't the closet, but i am crafty, so i'm looking for ideas for special gifts for her (not anything like pictures/frame, jewelery, etc) she loves flowers and has amazing gardens.. help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smuckers9
artist and a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009 10:09:57 AM »

What about going to a paint your own pottery place and painting her a sign or little statue thing for her garden. (Or anything they have there. (they usually have a lot of bowls, plates, and mugs too)

They also have wooden bird houses at places like Micheals, You could paint one of those for her to put up in her garden and put some bird seed or something with it. (If you do this I would cover the house in somesort of waterproof or weather proof sealer so the paint doesn't get ruined)

And my last idea is to paint terra cotta pots to put in her garden (also may need sealer  Huh) pair it with some seed packets....you could even match what is on the pot to what kind of seeds you give her.

Good luck and I hope I help!

ETA: I also forgot to say a bird bath, I would go to a paint your own your own pottery places, paint a large bowl and then find a stand for it to sit on, be creative finding a stand, a stool from the thrift store, (painted to match of course Cheesy), or even an old chair or nightstand.

ok now good luck Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009 10:15:25 AM by Smuckers9 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009 07:05:09 PM »

If you are a sewer, what about a knee rest for when she is gardening or a apron. You can decorate cheap garden gloves with sewing or paint/markers.  A set of handtools look great with painted handles -just make sure you finish them properly to protect them as gardening is wet and muddy at times!
Another handy gift is a bucket to carry tools etc in. You just get a plastic bucket and decorate it or if you are feeling particularly creative, make a bucket skirt that ties on and has pockets for gloves, seedpackets and tools on the outside and leaves the inside empty to put weeds or cut produce in.
rather like this: http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=&catalogId=10101&productId=10574&page=
I made my last one to fold over the edge with a shallow line of pockets inside - handy for odds and ends Wink
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009 07:16:31 PM by kiewiet » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lucinda879
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009 01:01:43 PM »

My aunt just made some "stepping stones" out of a pie tin and some craft cement for her yard. Just pour the cement and stick pretty things into it in a design or write in the cement, etc. You could make her one with a mother's day theme for her to put in her garden or to use in the yard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiewiet
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009 02:37:03 AM »

A friend just sent me this link:
http://tipnut.com/mothers-day/

It has some lovely ideas I think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melthegiftgirl
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009 11:23:33 AM »

You could make hand painted seed packets for her to store her seeds in or give to friends

...or paint your own plant labels on tiny wooden stakes

...or decorate some gardening tools (butterfly stickers decoupaged on handles, etc.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xperimentl
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009 01:03:51 PM »

I've seen some cool boxes that people have painted or decoupaged to keep seeds, plant markers, etc in.  Here is an example http://familycrafts.about.com/od/decoupage/ss/seedbox.htm  Gardening journals are neat, too, where she can write down when/what she planted, how they grew, maybe insert pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
Lilak Tygress
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010 02:05:32 AM »

Here's what I'm doing for my mother-in-law:

I bought 3 tea cups with saucers, and 3 spoons.  I also bought 3 herb plants.  I used my dremel and engraved the herbs names into the spoon handles.  I haven't got the herbs yet, but when they get here, I'll plant the herbs in the tea cups with the spoon handles sticking out.  It should be really cute Smiley

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 3/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 2/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 1/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 10/10
How to Crochet a Traditional Granny Square Pattern
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...