A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making shades from miniblinds  (Read 3727 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marisa

making it up as we go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009 09:07:44 AM »

hi christin,

if you follow the link, there are really great directions, but here's my version.

disassemble the miniblinds.  pop the plastic "plug" off the metal piece at the bottom.  don't cut the heavy cord that runs through the middle of the slats.  take the lighter-weight "ladder" style cord (runs down the front and back with "rungs" between each slat) and run your scissors up one of the vertical cords, cutting all the horizontal "rungs" and then you can pull the slats off the main cords.

assemble the shades.   you only use a few slats.  mine are spaced 9" apart, but you can decide how to space them out based on how you want them to look.  just remember that the folded fabric will be half the distance between slats.  lay out the fabric (i used my kitchen table but the floor would work) wrong side up.  set the top hardware of the blinds on the fabric and pull the cords down.  slide the slats you are using back onto the cords, then the bottom bar, then i guess you can put the plug back in, but i tied a bead onto the cord at the right length for my windows.  then position all the slats and glue them in place with fabritac.  have you use fabritac.  be careful not to glue the cord to the fabric. it's okay to leave a little unglued space on the slats near the hole that the cord passes through.

finish the shades.   trim excess fabric so that you have about an excess inch at the top and bottom, and two to three inches on the sides.  fold up and glue the bottom around the bottom bar.  neatly tuck up the bottom corners, fold in the sides and glue hem (this should encase a couple inches of the ends of the slats).  at the top, you can fold the fabric over before gluing it down, or just trim to the top of the hardware and leave a raw edge to be covered in ribbon something.  whatever.  or just glue it and forget it.  the only trick at the top is to leave the ends unglued so that you can slide this thing back into the mounting hardware and let the fabric cover that up.  so leave the ends loose - does that make any sense?

finally . . . my shades are just one panel of fabric.  in the comments of the tutorial i linked to, it said lining makes it too heavy and you have to attach the lining fabric to the main fabric between the slats as well, so they fold together.  sounded like too much work to me, and what do i care if a few neatly and evenly spaced white strips show on the back of my shades when they're down?  if you don't like the raw edge of fabric on the side hems, you could glue ribbon on there.  i don't think it looks bad.  nobody is standing on my front porch inspecting them, and they're usually only closed at night anyway.  i'm so, so not a perfectionist though!   Cheesy  you could put in the work to get a really professional finish to these, but i love mine as they are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinc21
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009 05:33:19 AM »

thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009 08:33:16 AM »

Thank you so much for sharing this!  I hate mini blinds too, but was thinking they might be the only solution for a couple of my windows.  I love the ease of hanging and operating them, they're just so fugly!  I noticed on the original, someone asked about finishing the back.  I think this is a great idea. You can get white or off-white (really just about anything!) fabric for pretty cheap, and that way all your windows look the same from outside.  You could have green shades in one room and purple in te other, but from the outside, they'll all match!  Again, thanks for showing us this, Its definitely on my list!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skaborsk

always procraftinating..............

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009 08:25:40 PM »

thanks so much for posting this! i tried it and although its not perfect (i got impatient while taking measurements), i love my birdie shade!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

please visit my etsy shop. i love it when people buy my crap!  
http://www.etsy.com/shop/cappywanna
marisa

making it up as we go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009 06:03:07 AM »

awesome!  thanks so much for posting yours.  i love the fabric you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Perfect Your Après-Ski Style
Top 7 Fashionable, Winter Products That Will Keep You Warm
The Bracelet That Prevents Sunburn
Snow, Sleet or Rain: The Best Boots for Winter Weather
Will Sexy White Gowns Dominate the 2014 Award Season?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...