A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: paper grocery bags into baskets!  (Read 94093 times)
Tags for this thread: storage , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slick
« on: February 22, 2004 12:22:40 PM »

Finished product:

Okay, all you need is glue, old paper bags from the grocery, clothespins, and scissors.  It's cute, strong, and recycled, and I know all you craftsters can come up with a million cool variations!

1. Cut the bottoms off your paper bags (and handles).  For this project, I think I used 3 bags.  Then cut what's left into (4) 1-inch strips or so horizontally (The size is really up to you, depending on how big you want your basket to be!)  I like to keep the double width of the bag to make it strong and then fold those strips again horizontally, so that I end up with strips that are 4 bags thick.  For this project, I made a total of 9 strips--6 for the bottom, and 3 to weave in the sides:

2.  Place them in a weave--over and under pattern.

Then use the clothes pins to clip all the top edges together.  Fold up where you want your sides to begin (where there's no weave--just strips) and crease that fold.

3.  Begin weaving paper strips around the perimeter in an over-and-under pattern.  When you get to the end of the strip glue it to itself and secure with clothespin until it dries.  Keep going up the basket, securing each strip and gluing its ends:

4.  When all your strips are woven in, make sure everything is tightly woven...keep tugging and arranging until it is. **This the key to happiness**.  Then trim the top edge.  Glue each top piece in place:

5.  Then use one strip over the top edge to finish it, and crease the corners:  

6.  Then use twine of some sort to secure it in place, sewing between the intersections of weave:

That's it!  You're done, and it's ready to store craft supplies!  I've also used them as gift baskets, bill holders, etc.!  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004 08:28:07 AM by slick » THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004 12:57:52 PM »

Reminds me of when I used to make baskets with construction paper, but I really love the color of brown bags... and I love the hues that your basket came out with....

Cool Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
thixle
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004 01:03:14 PM »

I used to make these to hold fresh picked tomatoes! Believe it or not, they held up the entire season... Man, I miss my garden.

Thanks for posting the instructions, I had forgotten all about that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
momo

turn on the bright lights

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004 03:27:48 PM »

great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

one, two, three, and: cha-cha-cha!
Jason
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004 03:03:46 PM »

now I know why I was saving all of those whole foods bags (well, besides the way cool handle)  thanks for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004 05:12:37 PM »

oh my gosh! that would make the perfect little trashcan for under my sewing table - and if it got gross you could just toss it and do another. thanks for the great idea! and for saving me the $$ for a trashcan LOL Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004 10:57:21 AM »

great idea.  And i love anything that involves weaving- one of those techniques that looks harder than it is. Rah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kar-UH
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004 07:09:30 PM »

Awww, I feel left out, none of the stores in my crappy town paper bags Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peanut
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004 08:10:50 PM »

Awesome instructions!  Thanks!

Unfortunately the only stores where I ever get paper bags are the liquor stores...... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Semper in faecibus sumum, sole profundum variat.
io
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004 04:27:03 PM »

i liked this idea but i didn't have any paper bags (the only ones we ever get are from the market and covered in any fruit that didn't make it home), so i made one from old newspaper. i am going to give it a coat of varnish at some point because newsprint stains anything it touches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nina Dobrev Talks Style, Fashion and Crushes
Summer Fashion: How to Wear Head-to-Toe White
How to Fold a T-Shirt in Under 10 Seconds
How To Rock A Jumpsuit Or Romper - No Matter What Your Body Type
Easy Ways to Play Up Your Shape
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...