A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,415
Currently Running With Scissors:
325 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Peter max inspired desk recon.  (Read 2194 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

I brake for distillied spirits.

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2009 06:13:08 PM »

P.s. No tracing done at all on these bitches! I am actually sort of proud of that....

If you don't know who he is, Peter max is a pop artist.

His art "style" was copied by makers of the Yellow Submarine film, and he inspired many trippy poster, or so I am told by my mother, who says she had one.
In the fall of 2007, I got to meet him at a gallery and I pretty much fell in love with him and his art.
I also, recently, came into possession of this ugly wooden desk that had been mauled by a sharpie,  and I couldn't get it off, so I decided to paint it and  theme it after Peter Max and his art.

An image from the tip top:

The original:

And the submarine....

This is one of the sides,(the other one looks even worse):

As always, comments and criticism appreciated.

Dear Craftster:

Stop hating on Medical Marijuana.

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009 06:58:04 PM »

Like your mom, I was around then as well, and the only thing you are missing is the strong outline he used. We were so inspired by the 'flower power' typography design, and I would give my right arm to have some of the psychedelic posters I used to have. Funny thing, I  have a couple of blacklights. I need to wist some posters. One thing I found is if the posters or paint has the true white, they will glow in the dark. But I am not that good of a painter of characters. Just the lettering. Got a lot of practice in '69.

Your work colorxmestupid7 is definitely going in the right direction, and I, like others would appreciate some info on paints used, preparation and sealing. You did an excellent job.

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009 07:03:31 PM »

wow this is sooooo cool Smiley I totally did a google search the artist, Peter Max...way cool stuff!!

So I totally love what you did but my only feedback would be to paint the rest of the wood parts over, doesnt have to be more art (I can tell that one shelf would be hard to get further into the back) BUT I think that just even having some colors to cover the wood would really make it looks oodles better.

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009 10:28:12 PM »

You did a great job with your "untraced" images - you've got a good eye.  I'm with the others on the paint - did you use acrylic? (I'm thinking that would give you the best coverage and durability.)  Keep up the great work! Cheesy

I've got a new website! www.thisbirdsabsurd.com and I'm still on Etsy www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
And find me on Facebook!  Thisbirdsabsurd

I brake for distillied spirits.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009 08:22:47 AM »

Yeah, I used acrylic paint.This desk was in a very bad place when I found it- it have been mauled by shrapie something awful, so acrylic seemed a wise choice since I didn't know if it would  cover any of the marker.

I have not sealed it yet, but that is in the works.

I am also going to be painting the rest of the wood, thank you for the feedback!

Dear Craftster:

Stop hating on Medical Marijuana.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011 04:59:04 PM »

This is very cool, I love Peter Max!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011 07:30:44 PM »

I love Peter Max as well, and great job!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...