A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,580
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: reproducing the Bayeux Tapestry  (Read 1636 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

afterannabel
« on: April 30, 2009 02:09:01 PM »

Has anyone here ever sewn one or more panels of the Bayeux Tapestry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry)?

I've been mildly obsessed with this tapestry from a very young age. My mother has been an avid genealogist for as long as I can remember, with a strong focus on medieval times. Other children got coloring books with cartoon characters; my mother gave us photocopies of blank coats of arms and stacked heraldry books in front of us for reference materials. Additionally, one of our ancestors is depicted on the tapestry, so that has been another big factor in my interest.

I've seen reproductions for sale online that are made in Belgian and French tapestry mills, but never in its entirety. I know Chantal James teaches classes at the Bayeux museum shop in Normandy on reproducing the tapestry, and the shop sells kits that include the materials for people to do their own reproductions of several panels. The kits are 49-134 euros ($65-$177) but include thread and cloth that are as close as you can get to the original ones used, which seems impressive.

This is pretty much my dream project, though my embroidery skills are rudimentary at this point and it would take many years to complete, I'm sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009 08:59:19 PM »

That would be fantastic to stitch!  I love tapestries and their art.  I have never stitched one yet, but I have an in process rug hooking project that is based off the red background with animals and flowers as seen in The Lady with Unicorn tapestries.  That would be a fantastic type of project to take on as a great life project. 

It isn't the Bayeux Tapestry, but have you seen the cross stitch pattern done by the Arleate Studio? http://www.weavershand.com/ArelateStudio.html
They have lots of Medieval themes and I'd LOVE to get my hands on their books. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
flossbox
Happy crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009 02:29:09 AM »

So what if it takes a long time?  It's your dream project.  Go for it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seneris
Medieval Craft lover

I live to learn new crafting techniques!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009 07:38:04 AM »

Great idea! Go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt - use gold paint Wink
50 projects in 2013 craftalong
nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009 01:55:33 PM »

I've never seen the Bayeux Tapestry in person, but I remember my great aunt had seen it and had a souvenir version on paper.  The paper version was  only about 3 inches wide, and extremely long. 

Maybe the Bayeux Tapestry Museum still sells those souvenir copies.  Then I imagine you could find a way to portion it off and enlarge it one section at a time on a photocopier to make yourself a pattern.  Think that could work?  That way you wouldn't have to buy those expensive kits.  Plus, the kits are probably only for the most famous panels.  If you want to reproduce the whole thing, that paper souvenir should give you an image of the entire thing.

Good luck!  Keep us posted!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009 01:58:43 PM by nikschaf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009 10:15:28 PM »

As an art student I've had many a conversation on this tapestry.  I think that it would be an awesome project. It's so monumental... but you would definitely want to have stuff to work on in between (I know I would need breaks on something like this).
Plus, it doesn't matter if your skills are rudimentary, something like this is the perfect time to learn new things because there is so much to it.  It's huge, you'll be able to see the progression of your skills developing. (and that is very satisfying... even if it takes you a lifetime to complete.)
I say... try it! Maybe someone in the stitch-a-long section would like to try w/ you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
pinkmichk
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009 04:01:40 AM »

having seen it in person on a school trip i loved it i say if its your dream project go for it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am always up for personal swaps -send me a message

pinterest - http://pinterest.com/shellfullerton/
SkyyAngel
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009 12:54:12 PM »

I have a coffee table book I bought in Bayeux (although I'm pretty sure it's on Amazon too) that has life-sized color photos of the entire thing. That would be pretty helpful in making a pattern up if you were so inclined. It was fairly cheap for being such a large book... I think around 40 euro.

The gift shop there also sold needlework kits featuring some of the smaller motifs. I bought the winged lion one and the two geese one. You can find them online here: http://boutique.tapisserie-bayeux.fr/broderie.html

They have instructions on the "Bayeux Stitch" used in the majority of the Tapestry. I never heard anything about a class while I was there though, that would've been pretty neat to take. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009 01:00:20 PM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Origins of Charlie Brown
How to Draw Miyamoto Musashi
How to Draw Lelouch
How to Draw Alucard
Supervillain Origins: Rhino
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...