A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,501
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake  (Read 1638 times)
Tags for this thread: food , baking , coffee_cake , breakfast , bread , cream_cheese  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrightestCreations
« on: April 30, 2009 06:16:29 AM »

Do you notice that after cooking at home for so long you start to loose the taste for things bought already made from the store?  I really noticed it when I was craving some coffee cake and bought some at the store. I ended up not eating it! I was so mad. My husband ate it though, he was such a trooper *rolls eyes*

I find cooking feeds my soul, so I decided to make my own coffee cake since my soul was a little beat up after work.

I was going for something to the effect of the Entimens (sp?) cream cheese danish with some fruit. It turned out incredibly well, I had found the recipe sitting on my hard drive of things I need to eventually make.

It has a slightly sweet topping, with a layer of cream cheese and raspberry ooze (cooked raspberry and made thick) over a delicious cake. Oh my. Love. Especially warm. LOVE IT WARM. Because then the cream cheese and berries are all ooey-gooey and mouth watering.

Here is my issue though. My husband thinks its very tart, I think its overly sweet (very sensitive to sugar since I don't eat it often). What ways can I make it not AS sweet or not use quite as much sugar without using artificial sweeteners? No Stevia either.

Recipe on my blog:
http://www.cookingbakingeating.com/raspberry-coffee-cake-feeding-the-soul/#more-437
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009 07:06:48 AM by BrightestCreations » THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009 07:34:49 AM »

I don't know about the sweetness issue... but I had to say, I love these types of cakes and yours looks amazingly delicious!
There was some store bought cake that I used to like and I can barely eat it anymore because I've gotten too used to home made. There was also a point when I made chocolate chip cookies pretty often and got so used to the ones I made that no chocolate chip cookie from the store has ever tasted the same... so I agree that when you start making something at home (and it tastes awesome), you start to lose taste for store bought!

(edited because I clicked before I was done)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009 07:42:47 AM by N30Nb100d » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009 08:15:01 AM »

I'm not too sure if this is answering your question, but I like to use orange juice with raspberries.  I find it cuts the tartness of the raspberries pretty well, but doesn't make things overly sweet. 

I'm definitely going to make this; thanks for the recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009 10:54:04 AM »

How about Honey? again sweet but it's not sugar! we use it in our bread making instead of sugar, and I try to use it when baking to keep the sweetness but without using sugar.

I have to try this recipe though I love Entemanns and can't get them where I live yum yum yum.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009 10:56:32 AM by mink_bikini » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melazdee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009 12:01:24 PM »

no idea on your issues, I just wanted to add that since I started making everything at home and not buying sweets from the store I too have lost the taste for it. My FH has too! i was super surprised. One day I sent some cookies with him that were made from a package my grandma gave me and he came home with most of them uneaten! he said "you didn't make these did you?" lol
probably one of the happiest days of my life Smiley

but omg your picture is making me crave cream cheese mmm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you love it, its perfect"

http://www.etsy.com/shop/melazdee
asmakr
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009 04:27:47 PM »

I adore coffee cake, and yours look absolutely delicious. I don't know about the sweetness, I'm sensitive to sugar myself.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art washes away the dust from everyday life" - Picasso
BrightestCreations
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009 07:04:05 PM »

all of your tips are good, the recipe already has lemon juice in it so i dont know if i would add lemon too. one thing i noticed with having some this morning after it sitting all night is the tartness of the fruit mellowed. but its still sweet. I'll probably end up cutting back on the sugar to maybe 1/2 cup in the batter instead of 3/4. dang tasty though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009 08:53:38 PM »

I absolutely can't wait to try this. I am so glad I did not see it till know or I would be eating it now. too late but first thing in the morn I will be trying it.  thank you so very much for sharing your recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009 02:32:21 PM »

My fantastic husband baked this cake yesterday and we have only half left already, absolutely gorgeous and the first thing I wanted to eat when I woke up, but then I am pregnant!!  Tongue

Thanks again for posting the recipe link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Top Outerwear Trends For Fall
4 Parisian Inspired Looks For Fall
Mark Fast - London - Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
You Can Rock Designer Fall Fashion Trends For Less
Style Sound-Off: Miley Cyrus, Sofia Vergara, Heidi Klum
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...