A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My 2009 Neat & Systematic Visual Journal (Pic OBESE) Updated 20th May  (Read 4572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phebee
« on: April 30, 2009 03:23:11 AM »

Hi lovelies, just wanted to share ten pages of my new visual journal with you all. It took a long time to start this year but I'm in the swing of things now. You know, at one point I thought maybe I wouldn't do one this year, because my life has changed so much situationally, emotional and spiritually over the last year. But I think I've managed to pave my way into a new direction. I just looked at my old post (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=239360.msg2631137#msg2631137 by the way) and I've noticed quite a bit of a change in my style. Maybe I've become even neater(!) which I didn't see possible. But although it even less expressive in style I feel it's more expressive in content, and more reflective of my feelings. Sorry about that long intro (some may say 'ramble') but I've learned that on Craftster there's always someone somewhere that will relate to what I've said.

I sewed a cover for it last night, as it's got to that time of year when the cover begins to look quite worn. The fabrics is giant blue and orange jigsaw pieces and I got it the day after my birthday when my parents and me and my housemate Em all went to Ikea. It was in the fabric offcuts box that I spent a good 5 or 10 minutes rummaging through.

Here's the side view - not very thick yet! I need to do more pages.

I like the way that the fabric looks when the journal is open, kind of like a sunrise.

I put 2 pockets in the front...

... and a giant pocket in the back. I tend to keep things that I'm going to use soon tucked in the pages. But I'm quite clumsy, so they often all fall out everywhere and cause a mess, so I have a pocket now.

My opening page of the journal. A work in progress. The background is some amazing shiny wrapping paper that my auntie gave me for Christmas. I'm still obsessed with tags. The bottom one is a tag from a t-shirt I bought my (now) boyfriend so that's sentimental now, even though it wasn't when I first put it in my journal. The Yes Man cinema ticket doesn't have anything on the back yet, which is unusal for me. And notice the edging on the top tag - this will be a recurring theme, as my legend of an auntie got me some fantasmical paper edging stamps for Christmas. The quote on the bottom tag is from a piece of writing about a Howard Hodgkin painting.

This is a coloured in picture of a turkey... I don't really know why, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it at the moment. But he's called Edward...

100 ideas by Keri Smith. I haven't got very far yet, but I've done about 4 and have about another 4 in progress. Some of them are more geared towards words than pictures I feel, so I'm not sure if I'll do them all.

A weather page. I enjoyed doing this one. The background is made from cut-out sections from a patterned paper bag. And the ribbon is one that my friend Debbie gave me. They're flowery and beautiful and are stick-on; genius!

My new books page. I'm drawing a bookshelf in biro at the top there. Maybe next time I'll show you some close-ups. (I've used my scanner this time instead of my camera, due to camera problems. I think it's worked quite well but I'm still learning) The picture is weathered (accidently) because I spilled water on it and it's printed with an inkjet printer so all the ink went all swirly and it made me sad. But then when it dried it kind of reflected the picture so I kept it and used it.

I'm trying to use a different word to describe every day. I was updating this every day until about March then I kinda drifted away from it.

I like to think of this picture as part one of a series of two. During the first world war a group of artists rose up who called their anti-war, anti-art movement Dadaism. Sometimes at meetings they'd make poems by cutting out words and phrases, and picking them at random from a hat. I have followed in their footsteps. You probably can't read the poem. It says:

Someone who has live so excitingly
looking for love,
Listening to music

it's all about the
thoughts and emotions
in your mind

she's a conventional beauty,
I see a happy person
A friendly lady!

It's a very, very long story.
glimpses of life
snapshot of the future
our passion has grown

but that's the way it is;
The time has clearly come,
seeking happiness,

I'm delighted to say that,
There are many moments of happiness
life on energy
instantly appealing.
belong to the person
bringing into the world
fluffy perfection.

I suppose the poem is about me really. But don't tell anyone (shhh...)

A media and art page. I do these periodically, like every day for a month and then I have a break. I'm on a break.

Part two of two. I want to put something like buttons on the ribbons, where it's glued, but haven't found the right thing yet.

Ok, so there's the most amazing wallpaper exhibition on in Whitworth Art Gallery in Manchester (where I live). I have been three or four times. (My friend said in surprise, "You're going AGAIN!", and I replied, "Would you listen to an album once, say you really enjoyed it and then never listen to it again." - I think this made her understand) This is a painting I did of some japanese wallpaper. It was just a small section, and it said that that's all they have of it, so what it would have looked like on a whole wall can only be imagined. I've photocopied it and stuck the photocopy on another page, and I'm going to go back and colour it in. But I didn't want to ruin the original copy because I was scared.

This is a collage i did when I met up with my old school friend and I got bored and wanted to make a collage, so I did.

About a boy (need I say more)

I like collecting stickers from things. Things I buy and eat. Because then I can look at the sticker pages and remember memories.

Words and pictures.

I've been experimenting with words a bit in this journal. I don't use them very often. I used the lyrics from Technicolor Eyes by Backseat Goodbye and typed them with my Grandpop's old typewriter that I use when I visit my parents.

These are a set of encourage postcards I made and sent to some of my friends (anonymously). They will get them tomorrow because I sent them first class. I think some of them might guess it's from me, but we'll see. I photocopied them before I sent them and stuck the copies in my journal. I'll add them pictures soon.

You enrich my life

Have a lovely day

I would rather be around you than anyone else

You. Wow!

You are not small you are fun-sized

Your future is so bright you will have to wear shades

Hope this is beginning to make you neat and systematic people think that you are not inferior to you messy, expressive people that school teachers love. We are all artists.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009 02:55:59 PM by Phebee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
panickeddreamer
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009 04:34:38 AM »

What a lovely start to the year!  Your last post actually inspired me to start journaling after years or not doing this and you've given me some more great ideas already. I kept on it for about two months then fell off, maybe this is help getting me going again. Thanks for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009 11:02:14 AM »

What a great journal!

I'm especially fascinated by your books page....

and the photo of what looks like a library after an earthquake or something..is that image available online anywhere?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Graciechan
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009 01:43:27 PM »

omygod, another one of your amazing journals! Your last one really inspired me to take up my own, which I have actually kept going so far! I think your work is beauuuuutiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009 08:10:40 PM »

loved your last journal and this one too! I love how you are drawing the books on a bookshelf! I'm really not happy with my journal page about the books I read. I might just have to steal that! thank you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phebee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009 03:19:17 AM »

What a lovely start to the year!  Your last post actually inspired me to start journaling after years or not doing this and you've given me some more great ideas already. I kept on it for about two months then fell off, maybe this is help getting me going again. Thanks for the inspiration.
I have weeks where I don't do anything in my journal, then weeks like this one where I'm doing loads (to avoid having to revise for exams!). I think that's one of the reasons I like visual journalling, because it's easier to take a break and then come back and pick up where you left off.

and the photo of what looks like a library after an earthquake or something..is that image available online anywhere?
Here's the photo http://deweyorotherwise.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/61.jpg. I really like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009 05:55:28 AM »

Here's the photo http://deweyorotherwise.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/61.jpg. I really like it.

Oh, my! Larger it is even more disturbing...like a car wreck that you cannot look away from.
Thanks for the link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Summer6061
Summer break in full swing

Lookin' good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009 12:02:33 PM »

I really like how you use so many things other than words to express yourself!  This is the type of journal that would be a ton of fun looking back on years later, or even for your kids and grandkids to look at and enjoy...I love that concept!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastination is killing me slowly...I'm going to put an end to that first thing tomorrow!
Kimmie Curie
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009 05:43:32 PM »

this is absolutely amazing and VERY inspirational to make one of my own! =]

p.s. I love technicolor eyes! it's one of my favorite =]

keep up the awesome work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandamouse123
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009 06:23:30 PM »

Wow!  I loved your journal from last year and my lazy self never commented on it.  I've always just used words in my journals, and never put collages or pictures or anything.  Which is entirely strange, because I hoard little things and scraps of paper for no reason. Cheesy  Your work is inspiring!  This is something that I'd like to try, you know, for those times when I just don't have the words.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<insert witty saying here>

Flickr
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Messy Braids Hairstyle: Backstage at Nicole Miller Spring 2014 Show
How to Do Retro Rockabilly Hair
How to Use Dry Shampoo
How to Do Bright Ombre Tips
How to Do an Easy Side Knot
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...